Trump Consultants manipulated the Facebook data of Millions

4,842 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by riflebear
cinque
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cambridge Analytica and Wikileaks are dirty as can be:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/us/politics/cambridge-analytica-trump-campaign.html

From the article:

"This was a scam and a fraud," Paul Grewal, a vice president and deputy general counsel at the social network, said in a statement to The Times earlier on Friday. He added that the company was suspending Cambridge Analytica, Mr. Wylie and the researcher, Aleksandr Kogan, a Russian-American academic, from Facebook. "We will take whatever steps are required to see that the data in question is deleted once and for all and take action against all offending parties," Mr. Grewal said
Doc Holliday
Wikileaks is backchecked through DKIM verifications.

They currently have a 100% accuracy standard and have never published anything that wasn't proven to be authentic.

So are you afraid of the truth?
quash
Doc Holliday said:

They currently have a 100% accuracy standard and have never published anything that wasn't proven to be authentic.

That Trump was dealing with a Russian bank, contrary to sanctions? No fear.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
cinque
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Your turn, Doc.
Osodecentx
Does Facebook have any responsibility?
cBUrurenthusism
This is so low information

The responsibility rests with the idiots that use Facebook for God knows what that voluntarily and foolishly signed up for these 3rd party data harvesting apps that sold not only your information but everyone you know's information....Hope you did good on Farmville

There was no security breach or hack or anything of the sort.

This is you leaving your front door open with your valuables on the porch and then crying because you got robbed

I can't even
bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

Yes, to some extent. I heard a radio interview with a programmer who used to work for Facebook. Apparently, there were about 10,000 people who clicked to take an online survey. By taking part, they agreed (in the fine print) to let their data be harvested. So far, so good. What Cambridge did that went beyond was to then grab the data on all the Facebook friends of those who took the survey, which is how they wound up with 50 million people. (Y'all Facebook users must have a lot of friends; stuff like this reminds me why I'm glad I never opened an account.)

Facebook says Cambridge used the data in ways that violated their terms of service and now has cut them off from the platform. But if they didn't want their users' data to be used in that way, they should have designed the platform so that data was inaccessible. To that extent, I'd say they bear some responsibility for what happened -- and for fixing the problem if they want their users to be happy.
EatMoreSalmon
In these cases, it can be difficult to ascertain who is in CYA mode and who is not. I'm inclined to believe that Facebook has not been fully forthcoming in their monetizing of user data due to the way in which data has been harvested by them. If they are sneaky in getting it, they are likely to be unscrupulous in selling it.
bubbadog
EatMoreSalmon said:

I'm inclined to believe that Facebook has not been fully forthcoming in their monetizing of user data due to the way in which data has been harvested by them. If they are sneaky in getting it, they are likely to be unscrupulous in selling it.
I suspect that's true. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. They seem to discover scruples only when they get caught being unscrupulous.
cinque
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

HDoes Facebook have any responsibility?
Yes, to some extent. I heard a radio interview with a programmer who used to work for Facebook. Apparently, there were about 10,000 people who clicked to take an online survey. By taking part, they agreed (in the fine print) to let their data be harvested. So far, so good. What Cambridge did that went beyond was to then grab the data on all the Facebook friends of those who took the survey, which is how they wound up with 50 million people. (Y'all Facebook users must have a lot of friends; stuff like this reminds me why I'm glad I never opened an account.)

Facebook says Cambridge used the data in ways that violated their terms of service and now has cut them off from the platform. But if they didn't want their users' data to be used in that way, they should have designed the platform so that data was inaccessible. To that extent, I'd say they bear some responsibility for what happened -- and for fixing the problem if they want their users to be happy.
It is still to be determined if Cambridge Analytica and the Trump people sold or gave that info to the Russians.
80sBEAR
cinque said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/us/politics/cambridge-analytica-trump-campaign.html

From the article:

"This was a scam and a fraud," Paul Grewal, a vice president and deputy general counsel at the social network, said in a statement to The Times earlier on Friday. He added that the company was suspending Cambridge Analytica, Mr. Wylie and the researcher, Aleksandr Kogan, a Russian-American academic, from Facebook. "We will take whatever steps are required to see that the data in question is deleted once and for all and take action against all offending parties," Mr. Grewal said
How in the world could anybody not trust this guy? The camo is a nice touch. I am hoping he will marry my daughter.

"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
bubbadog
cinque said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

It is still to be determined if Cambridge Analytica and the Trump people sold or gave that info to the Russians.
Is that being alleged?
fadskier
cinque said:

From the article:

Oh my goodness! This is just shocking! It's like the russians attacking us or Trump signing the tax bill before the end of the tear. I'm just stunned!

Imagine if he had blamed a coordinated terrorist attack on a documentary or maybe allowed classified emails to be hacked!
whitetrash
80sBEAR said:

cinque said:

From the article:

How in the world could anybody not trust this guy? The camo is a nice touch. I am hoping he will marry my daughter.

He'd more likely want to marry your son.
cinque
bubbadog said:

cinque said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Is that being alleged?
It's one of the many questions being raised as more is being learned about this operation.
bubbadog
cinque said:

bubbadog said:

cinque said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Is that being alleged?
It's one of the many questions being raised as more is being learned about this operation.
Yeah, after I posted the question I read some of the Times' article. The report that Cambridge's CEO -- apparently while working for the Trump campaign -- went to Assange in hopes of getting Hillary's private emails would raise a few red flags. Having a British affiliate that claims to work in Russia and Ukraine is intriguing, too.
quash
Anything illegal in all this?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
bubbadog
quash said:

Not clear about the use of the information itself. In the interview I heard yesterday, the expert first used the word unethical, but then later he said it was illegal without specifying exactly what was illegal.

More than one report, including the NYT article, wrongly characterizes this as a data breach. Cambridge may have used the data in way that Facebook did not sanction, but they didn't hack anything to get it.

One possible area of illegality concerns the Russian-American professor who worked for Cambridge and used the data. According to the Times article, Cambridge's founders were advised by their attorney that it was illegal to use foreigners in US political campaigns.
quash
bubbadog said:

quash said:

Not clear about the use of the information itself. In the interview I heard yesterday, the expert first used the word unethical, but then later he said it was illegal without specifying exactly what was illegal.

More than one report, including the NYT article, wrongly characterizes this as a data breach. Cambridge may have used the data in way that Facebook did not sanction, but they didn't hack anything to get it.

One possible area of illegality concerns the Russian-American professor who worked for Cambridge and used the data. According to the Times article, Cambridge's founders were advised by their attorney that it was illegal to use foreigners in US political campaigns.

Thanks.
DaveyBear
cinque said:

From the article:

I am guessing that a Country that has less than 40% of the combined GDP of Texas and California, and very little disposal cash can manipulate a Company whose market capitalization is almost equal to their combined market net valuation.

Makes sense to me. How sad is your commentary that a country whose GDP percapita income is less than India....OOOOO here comes the boogey man.!!!!!

Get back to cutting and pasting, clearly you have zero original thoughts.
Mitch Blood Green
Osodecentx said:

It's definitely not been a responsible corporate citizen.
Mitch Blood Green
DaveyBear said:

cinque said:

From the article:

I am guessing that a Country that has less than 40% of the combined GDP of Texas and California, and very little disposal cash can manipulate a Company whose market capitalization is almost equal to their combined market net valuation.

Makes sense to me. How sad is your commentary that a country whose GDP percapita income is less than India....OOOOO here comes the boogey man.!!!!!

Why does the per capita income matter during cyber warfare? It may matter if troops are deployed but what they did isn't high cost. It just requires manipulation of a platform that reaches billions. (And doesn't take their responsibility seriously)

Maybe investors pulling out will shake their roots.
quash
tommie said:

DaveyBear said:

cinque said:

From the article:

Why does the per capita income matter during cyber warfare? .

It doesn't.
Mitch Blood Green
whitetrash said:

80sBEAR said:

cinque said:

From the article:

He'd more likely want to marry your son.

I'm ok with that.
Doc Holliday
cinque said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Your turn, Doc.
Turns out Facebook improperly gave Obama data intentionally.

Obama Staffer: Facebook Knew Presidential Campaign Improperly Seized Data, Looked the Other Way

http://dailycaller.com/2018/03/19/facebook-trump-obama-cambridge-data/

fadskier
Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Your turn, Doc.

Obama Staffer: Facebook Knew Presidential Campaign Improperly Seized Data, Looked the Other Way

If Obama does something wrong, Cinque and bubba are ok with it because it's about race. Ferguson, Baltimore, Staten Island, Michelle, Barak...race is the card being played, irregardless of transgressions.
quash
fadskier said:

Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Your turn, Doc.

If Obama does something wrong, Cinque and bubba are ok with it because it's about race. Ferguson, Baltimore, Staten Island, Michelle, Barak...race is the card being played, irregardless of transgressions.

You played it here.

Meanwhile, back at the OP.

Two things. First, FB probably violated a 2011 consent decree with the FTC, and have been aware since 2014 without telling affected users. Second, 270,000 users consented to the use of their data in a personality test; 49 million of their friends did not.

FB needs to voluntarily make some changes before the EU and Congress do it via regulations.

And remember: if you are not paying for the product then YOU are the product. Data mining is an extractive industry.
fadskier
quash said:

fadskier said:

Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Your turn, Doc.

You played it here.

Two things. First, FB probably violated a 2011 consent decree with the FTC, and have been aware since 2014 without telling affected users. Second, 270,000 users consented to the use of their data in a personality test; 49 million of their friends did not.

FB needs to voluntarily make some changes before the EU and Congress do it via regulations.

And remember: if you are not paying for the product then YOU are the product. Data mining is an extractive industry.
Which is why the responsibility is on the user. I realize that personal responsibility is not your thing. It's not playing the race card when you are calling someone out for playing the race card.
Doc Holliday
quash said:

fadskier said:

Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Your turn, Doc.

You played it here.

Best part of this is that this forces Facebook's hand. They can't just go along with this narrative. They have to be truthful if they want to keep their business. They have to tell everyone "No, Cambridge Analytica didn't hack accounts. No, they didn't have access to private data. We gave them what they paid for. This is our business model. This has always been our business model. It was not unique to 2016. Obama was the first to leverage our data like this."
quash
fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Your turn, Doc.

You played it here.

Which is why the responsibility is on the user. I realize that personal responsibility is not your thing. It's not playing the race card when you are calling someone out for playing the race card.

The responsibility was on tbe 270,000 users who consented, not the 49 million who had no idea.

And personal responsibility is exactly my thing, it's why I want govt out of marry, carry, abortion, bakeries, etc.
quash
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Your turn, Doc.

You played it here.

Best part of this is that this forces Facebook's hand. They can't just go along with this narrative. They have to be truthful if they want to keep their business. They have to tell everyone "No, Cambridge Analytica didn't hack accounts. No, they didn't have access to private data. We gave them what they paid for. This is our business model. This has always been our business model. It was not unique to 2016. Obama was the first to leverage our data like this."

Agreed. You didn't need the whataboutism.
fadskier
quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Your turn, Doc.

You played it here.

The responsibility was on tbe 270,000 users who consented, not the 49 million who had no idea.

And personal responsibility is exactly my thing, it's why I want govt out of marry, carry, abortion, bakeries, etc.
When you go on Facebook, Twitter or anything else, you're consenting. I agree with you on personal responsibility...except on abortion. If you have sex and get pregnant, you shouldn't be able to kill the child just because you don't like the consequences.
quash
fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Your turn, Doc.

You played it here.

When you go on Facebook, Twitter or anything else, you're consenting. I agree with you on personal responsibility...except on abortion. If you have sex and get pregnant, you shouldn't be able to kill the child just because you don't like the consequences.

Consent is not blanket, permanent and eternal. You choose every day by your interactions and withholdings. If I am shown the CA personality test and decline they shouldn't be able to get my data. The end.
EatMoreSalmon
Once Face Book opened the door for a member's data to be extracted through another member's account, that shows a real disdain for any user's privacy.

Not that any social media should be considered private in any way.
cinque
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Your turn, Doc.

You played it here.

You don't understand the issue. Facebook does and so does CA. Why else would they suspend their CEO?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.