Border crisis numbers

2,352 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Buddha Bear
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HuMcK said:

Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

2. What is the number of immigrants/asylum seekers in this country who have disappeared and failed to appear at required hearings after they have been "caught and released?" What percentage is that of the total population that has been caught and released?

4. As I understand it if an asylum seeking family presents at a port of entry (there are supposedly 48 on the southern border), they are "caught and released" without being separated. If the same family presents themselves to a regular border patrol station, they are detained and separated. Why the difference?
It's about 40 percent, according to a pro bono group that works with immigrants.

According to Sessions, the families who are separated are the ones who cross illegally.
40% is way too high. I had read that the system was having some success with modernized tracking systems; I don't know if that is true or if that number reflects the improvement. I also wonder about chipping the immigrant/asylum seeker as a condition of release. And I am pretty sure that if we cut the wait times, the attendance would improve. But if we can't reduce that number, I would agree that "catch and release" needs to be modified.

As to Sessions, he knows that those who present at ports of entry are not crossing illegally. From what I have read, however, we have closed many ports of entry and those that are open have wait times of days. Presenting yourself to border patrol outside a port of entry with the intention of seeking asylum is not functionally different. It is well within his discretion to treat the subset of voluntary presentments the same wherever they present.

At the end of the day I guess my point is that the fact of increasing Central American migration does not absolve the richest nation on the face of the earth of its obligation to treat children humanely. At least some in the administration appear to relish the fact that they are not doing so; others seem just not to care.
Apparently the ones who have legal counsel almost always appear. Why so many are unrepresented I don't know, but it may have to do with the sheer increase in numbers recently.

The children are separated from their parents, but so is every other child whose parents are incarcerated. They're held for no more than 20 days, during which they receive food, shelter, and medicine. After that they're placed with relatives or foster families. It is heartbreaking, but I'm not sure it qualifies as inhumane.

These must be the talking points that have been disseminated because I've seen several variations of it on Facebook today alone. I'm honestly surprised to see so much willing defense for breaking up families over the horrifying and terrible misdemeanor crime of coming to America in search of opportunity, but I guess Trump corrupts. I also dont know where that 20day timeframe comes from, there have been reports of kids not seeing their parents for up to a year.

Words mean things. We've all seen the images and we all know how emotional they are. It's another question whether the treatment is inhumane. If you have an argument, feel free to make it.

There may well be kids who don't see their parents for a year. As I said, they can be detained for up to 20 days. Then they're placed with other relatives or foster parents.
fadskier
HuMcK said:

Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

2. What is the number of immigrants/asylum seekers in this country who have disappeared and failed to appear at required hearings after they have been "caught and released?" What percentage is that of the total population that has been caught and released?

4. As I understand it if an asylum seeking family presents at a port of entry (there are supposedly 48 on the southern border), they are "caught and released" without being separated. If the same family presents themselves to a regular border patrol station, they are detained and separated. Why the difference?
It's about 40 percent, according to a pro bono group that works with immigrants.

According to Sessions, the families who are separated are the ones who cross illegally.
40% is way too high. I had read that the system was having some success with modernized tracking systems; I don't know if that is true or if that number reflects the improvement. I also wonder about chipping the immigrant/asylum seeker as a condition of release. And I am pretty sure that if we cut the wait times, the attendance would improve. But if we can't reduce that number, I would agree that "catch and release" needs to be modified.

As to Sessions, he knows that those who present at ports of entry are not crossing illegally. From what I have read, however, we have closed many ports of entry and those that are open have wait times of days. Presenting yourself to border patrol outside a port of entry with the intention of seeking asylum is not functionally different. It is well within his discretion to treat the subset of voluntary presentments the same wherever they present.

At the end of the day I guess my point is that the fact of increasing Central American migration does not absolve the richest nation on the face of the earth of its obligation to treat children humanely. At least some in the administration appear to relish the fact that they are not doing so; others seem just not to care.
Apparently the ones who have legal counsel almost always appear. Why so many are unrepresented I don't know, but it may have to do with the sheer increase in numbers recently.

The children are separated from their parents, but so is every other child whose parents are incarcerated. They're held for no more than 20 days, during which they receive food, shelter, and medicine. After that they're placed with relatives or foster families. It is heartbreaking, but I'm not sure it qualifies as inhumane.

These must be the talking points that have been disseminated because I've seen several variations of it on Facebook today alone. I'm honestly surprised to see so much willing defense for breaking up families over the horrifying and terrible misdemeanor crime of coming to America in search of opportunity, but I guess Trump corrupts. I also dont know where that 20day timeframe comes from, there have been reports of kids not seeing their parents for up to a year.
Because that's not true. Detainees are the ones coming in a second time...which a felony. Get your facts straight. Even Texas Monthly said that...
Canada2017
Some of these 'children' have been deported dozens of times.

FWIW I never saw children crossing the border onto my farm. This is a relatively new phenomenon.

Strongly doubt these huge numbers of children coming illegally is merely a coincidence.

People are so gullible.

Booray
Canada2017 said:

FWIW I never saw children crossing the border onto my farm. This is a relatively new phenomenon.

Strongly doubt these huge numbers of children coming illegally is merely a coincidence.

People are so gullible.

You can bet your last dollar that a big old promotion and lunch with the POTUS awaits the first fed who can prove a gang member/cartel guy/terrorist was using kids to grease the path into America.

I understand why folks would be suspicious of what is going on. But Jeff Sessions now has thousands of the bad hombres locked up. Let's see him prove how awful these folks really are.
Canada2017
Booray said:

Canada2017 said:

People are so gullible.

You can bet your last dollar that a big old promotion and lunch with the POTUS awaits the first fed who can prove a gang member/cartel guy/terrorist was using kids to grease the path into America.

I understand why folks would be suspicious of what is going on. But Jeff Sessions now has thousands of the bad hombres locked up. Let's see him prove how awful these folks really are.

Booray

There has been an entire industry of smuggling Central Americans and Mexicans into the United States ....for decades. Well documented.

Regardless IMO we as a country have 2 choices

Open borders for whomever wishes to come to the United States.

or

Strict enforcement of US immigration laws.

All this 'concern' for these 'children ' ( some sincere ....mostly uninformed) could result in the amnesty of millions of children from all over Central America into the US.

Then their parents.....then open borders .

Buddha Bear
fadskier said:

Why is it our job to fix other countries so that they won't come here?
Why is it our job to fix other countries period? Imagine the debt we wouldn't have if we stopped being the world police.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.