Early voting is huge

2,829 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by quash
Osodecentx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Watch out!
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/10/22/texas-early-voting-turnout/?utm_source=Texas+Tribune+Master&utm_campaign=2603aa2953-trib-newsletters-the-brief&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d9a68d8efc-2603aa2953-101362457&mc_cid=2603aa2953&mc_eid=4244223eea

Texas sees huge turnout on first day of early voting
Texas counties large and small saw substantial voter turnout on the first day of early voting for the 2018 midterm elections.
Tens of thousands of Texas voters turned out across the state to cast their ballots on Monday, the first day of early voting for the 2018 midterm elections.
The state's largest counties all saw much larger first-day turnout than they did in the previous midterm elections in 2014. Dallas County's combined in person and mail-in votes topped out at 55,384 on Monday, almost 26,000 more than were cast in 2014, according to The Dallas Morning News.
In Bexar County, The San Antonio Express News reported that as of 4 p.m. Monday more than 24,000 people had voted in person, compared to 13,436 who voted in person first day in 2014.
Bruce Elfant, Travis County Tax Assessor-Collector and Voter Registrar, reported on Facebook Monday night in-person and mail-in votes for Travis County totaled 47,405, compared to 17,181 first-day in-person and mail-in votes in 2014.
The Texas Tribune thanks its sponsors. Become one.

Smaller counties also saw big turnout. Midland County Election Administrator Deborah Land said out of 84,945 registered voters in her county, 3,546 had voted by 4 p.m. Monday compared to just 756 who voted the first day in 2014.
"We had a line at the elections office all day," Land said. "Most of the time it was extending down the hallway."
About 15.8 million Texans are registered to vote in this year's midterm elections, according to the Texas Secretary of State's website.
"It's very impressive for a state that hasn't done real well in voter registration and turnout," said Rene Cross, senior director for the Hobby School of Public Affairs at the University of Houston, of the first-day numbers.
Cross credits passion from both Republicans and Democrats this election cycle as reason for record turnout.
"We see so much anger or enthusiasm about candidates in much higher numbers than we've ever seen," Cross said. "From a political standpoint, I think there's just as much energy that we've seen in presidential years."
The Texas Tribune thanks its sponsors. Become one.

U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke, the Democrat challenging U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, spent the day crisscrossing the Houston area to lead groups of supporters to the polls. The early vote push began before the sun was fully up, with O'Rourke making a 7 a.m. stop in central Houston. More than 63,000 in-person votes were cast in Harris County, The Houston Chronicle reported, compared to 20,215 in 2014.
"This is our moment, this is our chance," O'Rourke told the crowd assembled across the street from the polling place. "This is our message to the people of the future. While we can still get it right, we stood up to be counted and we did."
Some supporters had been waiting to vote early at the site longer than others. Among them: a group that had camped out in a tent with "BETO" written on it to ensure they would be among the first to vote Monday morning. O'Rourke briefly ducked into the tent and spoke with the supporters.
In El Paso County, O'Rourke's home county, a record 17,131 voters turned out Monday as of 7 p.m., said Melissa Rosales, the county's elections information and resource coordinator.

Rosales said this year's high turnout could have been attributed to excitement surrounding O'Rourke and traction from social media.
"We were expecting it," Rosales said. "By 9 a.m., we already had a really good turnout, and we were already getting calls of lines of voters. We are hoping we get the same traffic [throughout early voting.] We have the equipment and the pool to be prepared for the number of voters we're going to see."
The increased enthusiasm came with some hiccups. U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro and state Sen. Jos Menndez, both San Antonio Democrats, held a news conference Monday afternoon to decry reported problems with early voting. At some polling locations, election workers were understaffed and overwhelmed by the turnout, leading to long wait times, Castro said. At one polling location, he said, a system glitch had forced workers to write information for voters by hand rather than rely on a printer to do the job.
Cross said first-day early voting numbers could be indicative of the high number of voter registrations Democrats have garnered this election season in hopes of a "blue wave" giving them control of Congress. However, Cross said it is still be too early to tell what the outcome will be on Election Day.

"If you look at the increase in the number of voters, number of registrations ... of those people the common sense tells you those new voters are going to be Democrats. If that's the case, their overall numbers will increase substantially, but is it enough to overtake the Republican control?"
fadskier
Actually the news last night, MSNBC I think, did a story where Republicans are out-pacing Democrats in early voting...but we know how reliable polls are...
Osodecentx
fadskier said:

Actually the news last night, MSNBC I think, did a story where Republicans are out-pacing Democrats in early voting...but we know how reliable polls are...
We don't know what precincts are turning out.
For every 100 voters in Travis County, I believe 65% are voting Democrat
fadskier
Let's hope not.
Canada2017
When...not if....Texas goes red......

No one should be surprised at all.

Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

I agree. John Tower got in (1960) on a fluke and stayed a while. Hutchison and Perry won statewide elections in 1990. Bush broke the bank in 1994.

It has been solid R since. Beto is the only D I see with a chance statewide.
Waco1947
What do you mean Tower was a fluke? I remember Dad talking about crossover D's who voted for him as some sort of strategy.
Forest Bueller
Not saying it right, early voting is Yuuuge.
contrario
Waco1947 said:

What do you mean Tower was a fluke? I remember Dad talking about crossover D's who voted for him as some sort of strategy.
He lost the 1960 election to LBJ, and barely won the 1961 special election to fill the spot LBJ vacated. He was the first republican to hold the seat in Texas in some time. I would say it was kind of flukey, even if it was the way the political winds were heading, or starting to head, at the time.
Waco1947
contrario said:

Waco1947 said:

He lost the 1960 election to LBJ, and barely won the 1961 special election to fill the spot LBJ vacated. He was the first republican to hold the seat in Texas in some time. I would say it was kind of flukey, even if it was the way the political winds were heading, or starting to head, at the time.

I don't remember all the details but Liberal Dems wanted Ralph Yarborough and thought he had in the bag and crossed to make he ran against Tower but Blakey won. Tower courted conservative Dems and won.
Great story: Tower flew to El Paso for a rally and bad weather forced him down in Brewster county. He waited out the storm in a bar. He ended being there 10 hours. That county had been 100% Dem but that election Tower carried that county.
Osodecentx
Waco1947 said:

It was a special election to fill LBJ's senate seat. Tower did not win a majority of votes. The candidate with the most vote4s won. Democrats split their vote and Republicans, few though they were, voted for Tower.

I'm sure some Democrats did too.
Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

I agree. John Tower got in (1960) on a fluke and stayed a while. Hutchison and Perry won statewide elections in 1990. Bush broke the bank in 1994.

It has been solid R since. Beto is the only D I see with a chance statewide.

Texas is going the way of California.

Just going to take 10-20 years longer .
Mitch Blood Green
Vote Quimby. He'd vote for you
GrowlTowel
tommie said:

Vote Quimby. He'd vote for you
Excellent.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
KOKQB70
Waco1947, yo bro, Ralph Y., nooooo. Met him maybe 40 yrs. ago @ family reunion, he was wife's great Uncle. Distinguished guy, liberal, etc....luckily most all on wife's side are Conservatives, sorry. He was quite the politician back then, no?
Waco1947
I was a 13 and not connected politically but Dad was and he really liked Ralph
PartyBear
I think there are 3 or 4 perhaps more I'm not counting a couple obscure high court seats with a shot of winning state wide. Beto is just the one getting all the national attention.
quash
PartyBear said:

I think there are 3 or 4 perhaps more I'm not counting a couple obscure high court seats with a shot of winning state wide. Beto is just the one getting all the national attention.

Which ones? I don't see a single one going D this election at the statewide level.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
riflebear
Hope this continues

Osodecentx
quash said:

PartyBear said:

Which ones? I don't see a single one going D this election at the statewide level.
You are probably right; the trend is your friend. Texas' trend is R since 1994.

Maybe Sid or Paxton, possibly Cruz
william
cast my ballot..... I felt young spry and handsome.

Geezers of the World - Get out (w/ your walkers / canes) and Vote (really) Early!

- Bill

D!
Go Bears!
PartyBear
I'm not sure that Cornyn realizes a lot of blue voters in Texas outside of the very urban counties vote in Republican primaries at this time to have a say in a local race. I wouldn't bank on judging turnout and votes just based on the primary a voter voted in. I'm absolutely sure the voters who elected Tower and Clements and Gram were overwhelmingly voting in Democratic primaries back in the 70s, 80s and even in the 90s in even bigger numbers for the same reason. I would imagine some of those other states are similar.
Canada2017
william said:

cast my ballot..... I felt young spry and handsome.

Geezers of the World - Get out (w/ your walkers / canes) and Vote (really) Early!

- Bill

D!

Wife in charge of our ballots.

A united front of two !
TexasScientist
Don't vote unless your vote is an informed vote.
Osodecentx
One analysis says votes are about equal. Are the early votes cannibalizing votes normally cast on election day?
quash
Osodecentx said:

One analysis says votes are about equal. Are the early votes cannibalizing votes normally cast on election day?
Sometimes I get the feeling supporters think their vote counts more if they vote early. That's the tone of the pressure I'm getting from the parties I don't belong to.

I'm gonna make a long shot bet just to have one in case of upsets: Suazo over Bush. Trump's (intentional/petty) failure to mention him taken by his voters to mean leave that race blank. Hedge bet: Pina picks up those votes instead for the largest third-party vote. He won't get my total.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
midgett
Voted today. Sometimes I'm early sometimes I'm not.

I believe because there is so much media about this election that some vote early expecting Election Day to be busy. So it takes away from Election Day though I still believe it will be a good turnout for a non-Presidential year.

Lots of places to vote in Plano. Gotta hand it to the crew running the place I voted. Decent sized room with perhaps 2 dozen machines. As soon as I entered the room a woman called me over. Showed ID, got checked off, signed and got my card to vote. They weren't messing around. Probably ten in the room to vote and they were determined to keep it moving.

This type of service ENCOURAGES early voting. I was in and out in minutes - knew who I was voting for. Faster than getting gas.

Well done, ladies!
riflebear
TexasScientist said:

90% of liberals would be unable to vote - is that what you want?
Malbec
midgett said:

Voted today. Sometimes I'm early sometimes I'm not.

I believe because there is so much media about this election that some vote early expecting Election Day to be busy. So it takes away from Election Day though I still believe it will be a good turnout for a non-Presidential year.

Lots of places to vote in Plano. Gotta hand it to the crew running the place I voted. Decent sized room with perhaps 2 dozen machines. As soon as I entered the room a woman called me over. Showed ID, got checked off, signed and got my card to vote. They weren't messing around. Probably ten in the room to vote and they were determined to keep it moving.

This type of service ENCOURAGES early voting. I was in and out in minutes - knew who I was voting for. Faster than getting gas.

Well done, ladies!
Voted first day of early voting. Stood in line for 1 hr 12 min. Second busiest EVL in the city (averaged 1,600 votes a day over 4 days). They had 18 machines, and once I made it to check-in, it took less than 5 minutes to process through and vote.

The 19 suburban EVLs have averaged 1,046 voters per day, while the 24 city EVLs have averaged 605 voters per day.
quash
riflebear said:

TexasScientist said:

I want as many people as possible to vote. The uninformed liberals and the uninformed conservatives and the uninformed middle.

I'd prefer they were informed but we can't all be Libertarian.
TexasScientist
quash said:

riflebear said:

TexasScientist said:

I want as many people as possible to vote. The uninformed liberals and the uninformed conservatives and the uninformed middle.

I usually agree with you, and yes if they were informed they would be Libertarian. But there are too many people voting who have no business voting. Until they become informed, they're not voting Libertarian. They're big government Liberals and Conservatives.
quash
TexasScientist said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

TexasScientist said:

I usually agree with you, and yes if they were informed they would be Libertarian. But there are too many people voting who have no business voting. Until they become informed, they're not voting Libertarian. They're big government Liberals and Conservatives.

Rights are inherent, not earned.
TexasScientist
quash said:

TexasScientist said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

TexasScientist said:

Rights are inherent, not earned.
That's the rub. You get the bad along with the good. LOL
quash
As usual, the problems of ballot integrity far outweigh fake votes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.