Should We Even Go To Restaurants?

3,488 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jack and DP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry
Avoiding Chinese restaurants isn't racist right now, but it is ignorant.

Personally, not going to eat anywhere until testing is more widely done. People are being way too cavalier in my humble opinion.
PartyBear
No you probably shouldn't go to restaurants or hardly anywhere else other than a necessary trip to some place like work or grocery store for at least a couple of weeks. After seeing reports of what US airports looked like yesterday, I think you can expect an explosion here over the next couple of weeks.
LTbear
If Americans could actually avoid restaurants and bars for a couple weeks it would go a loooooong way to getting this under control. But so far, I don't think that's happening at all.
PartyBear
LTbear said:

If Americans could actually avoid restaurants and bars for a couple weeks it would go a loooooong way to getting this under control. But so far, I don't think that's happening at all.

I kind of think it is, at least in McLennan County. Though I agree it isn't happening on mass scale as it should. I get why it is unrealistic to expect but restaurants chain or otherwise should shut down for a couple of weeks. Pretend it is two weeks of Christmas Day. I understand why they are not and see their point as well.

My wife and I had been invited to a party yesterday that wasn't canceled. We decided to take our semi self quarantine seriously and do yard work instead. I really felt like doing something to feel normal again and run out to Chuy's for dinner. My wife said he'll no. It is hard I admit.
LTbear
PartyBear said:

LTbear said:

I kind of think it is, at least in McLennan County. Though I agree it isn't happening on mass scale as it should. I get why it is unrealistic to expect but restaurants chain or otherwise should shut down for a couple of weeks. Pretend it is two weeks of Christmas Day. I understand why they are not and see their point as well.
Well ya I can understand why restaurants don't want to lose business for two weeks, but the point remains it would be best if everyone avoided them. In theory, if everyone just actually avoided ALL public gatherings like that, save work, and isolated and cleaned themselves at work as much as possible for two weeks, we would be in great shape.

Nationwide though people are out partying, drinking, crowding into restaurants and bars, etc. Unfortunately, as I think you side earlier in regards to the airlines, we are likely to see a surge of confirmed cases this week. We were notified of the first confirmed case on the Berkeley campus last night. Our daily growth rate of cases is right on par with how the situation grew in Italy, and that's despite our ****ty testing rate.
PartyBear
University of Texas has 3 confirmed on Friday. One is the President's wife.
Guy Noir
AOC confuses caution with racism. She seems to claim moral superiority without the wisdom to back it up.

syme
bularry said:

Personally, not going to eat anywhere until testing is more widely done. People are being way too cavalier in my humble opinion.

Testing is really irrelevant at this point. If you feel sick just assume you have it and rest for a few days.
bularry
syme said:

bularry said:

Testing is really irrelevant at this point. If you feel sick just assume you have it and rest for a few days.

It isn't irrelevant. Feeling sick may not be the virus. But confirming you have it and knowing who you have had contact with is HUGE.

People can carry this virus days with no symptoms.

Saw first NOLA death was yesterday so they forcibly shut down Bourbon
nein51
LTbear said:

Anecdotally it seems to be happening. We were out Wednesday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday. None of the places we frequent was busy. Friday night we stayed at one of the busiest hotels in town. It's possible there weren't more than 15 people in that hotel. Friday night at dinner there were 3 other tables at a place that is usually packed.

I don't think everyone is staying home but I do think a big ass chunk of people are.

Will be interesting to see how many small businesses fold in the next 60-90 days. It's going to be a whole lot.
LTbear
nein51 said:

LTbear said:

Anecdotally it seems to be happening. We were out Wednesday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday. None of the places we frequent was busy. Friday night we stayed at one of the busiest hotels in town. It's possible there weren't more than 15 people in that hotel. Friday night at dinner there were 3 other tables at a place that is usually packed.

I don't think everyone is staying home but I do think a big ass chunk of people are.

Will be interesting to see how many small businesses fold in the next 60-90 days. It's going to be a whole lot.
That's good to hear. Anecdotally in many other places it's not happening, unfortunately.
nein51
LTbear said:

nein51 said:

LTbear said:

That's good to hear. Anecdotally in many other places it's not happening, unfortunately.

I'm at the gym right now. I would say it's about normal.

My wife's business has had 3 couple try to cancel their weddings (ended up rescheduling) in the last 3-4 days.
syme
bularry said:

syme said:

bularry said:

It isn't irrelevant. Feeling sick may not be the virus. But confirming you have it and knowing who you have had contact with is HUGE.

Testing capabilities are just fine now that the red tape has been removed, which allowed our huge private labs to quickly develop their own in-house testing. Point is that there's no real treatment, you just have to let it run it's course. So it's best not to flood healthcare waiting rooms just so you can learn which virus you have.

Obvious exception is if you're elderly and develop breathing issues, but that's true even when the world isn't ending. We just gotta make sure there's room.
Bearitto
If you are 65 or over and immune compromised, stay out of restaurants. If you are healthy and under 65, enjoy yourself. Live your life. As much as the economy killers will let you. Patronize the restaurants that are still open so your cooks and servers can keep feeding their kids. Go to the movies if they are open so the college kids working there can pay tuition. Go to church and pray for those who can't attend. Go to work so you can feed your own family and pay your mortgage.
blackie
As we are in the higher risk group (because of age), we are just staying home. I had thought about going to a restaurant for takeout last night, but then I thought of who the workers are that package what we get. I just don't trust minimum wage workers, mostly teenagers and early 20s in a lot of places to care enough such that they follow the guidelines their employees are telling me they are following.

If they are anything like a poster on another thread who is in a "safe" demographic group, a cavalier attitude may just mean business as usual and they don't really worry about others getting sick. I have too often seen my food plate come out with glaring fingerprints on the edges of the plates. We've lived with that before, but this is different. So we will just forego our usual Saturday night out to eat and stay home until there is some clarity to this.

If I could feel confident that every step was being followed by the food handlers that they are suppose to be doing, I wouldn't concern myself about it so much, but I have seen plenty of what are obvious slipping of standards in normal times to take as few chances as possible in not normal times.

Whether someone has symptoms or not, they can be carriers, and going out where there are groups does nothing but increase the exposure to the entire population, regardless of age. Young people can go out, pick up the disease, have few symptoms and then pass it to others at home or elsewhere who are at risk. Everyone needs to do their part.
bearassnekkid
LTbear said:

nein51 said:

LTbear said:

No, it isn't great to hear. If we destroy small business and jobs and crush people's incomes the cost to society of the solution will be worse than the cost of the problem.

Absolutely still go to restaurants. And visit small businesses. And buy goods and services in your communities. Avoid large gatherings, sure. Don't go out if you feel sick. But sequestering and destroying our economy is going to hurt more people, and for longer, than a slightly faster spread of the virus will. We are all going to get this in the next year. I realize there is value in avoiding a "spike", and spreading those cases out over time, hence the avoidance of large gatherings. But the mania is exacting a higher cost and hurting our fellow citizens in a devastating way.
LTbear
bearassnekkid said:

LTbear said:

nein51 said:

LTbear said:

No, it isn't great to hear. If we destroy small business and jobs and crush people's incomes the cost to society of the solution will be worse than the cost of the problem.

Absolutely still go to restaurants. And visit small businesses. And buy goods and services in your communities. Avoid large gatherings, sure. Don't go out if you feel sick. But sequestering and destroying our economy is going to hurt more people, and for longer, than a slightly faster spread of the virus will. We are all going to get this in the next year. I realize there is value in avoiding a "spike", and spreading those cases out over time, hence the avoidance of large gatherings. But the mania is exacting a higher cost and hurting our fellow citizens in a devastating way.

Yes, it is good. ****loads of people are asymptomatic and can still infect others. "Don't go out if you feel sick" is not nearly good enough advice.
ATL Bear
blackie said:

As we are in the higher risk group (because of age), we are just staying home. I had thought about going to a restaurant for takeout last night, but then I thought of who the workers are that package what we get. I just don't trust minimum wage workers, mostly teenagers and early 20s in a lot of places to care enough such that they follow the guidelines their employees are telling me they are following.

If they are anything like a poster on another thread who is in a "safe" demographic group, a cavalier attitude may just mean business as usual and they don't really worry about others getting sick. I have too often seen my food plate come out with glaring fingerprints on the edges of the plates. We've lived with that before, but this is different. So we will just forego our usual Saturday night out to eat and stay home until there is some clarity to this.

If I could feel confident that every step was being followed by the food handlers that they are suppose to be doing, I wouldn't concern myself about it so much, but I have seen plenty of what are obvious slipping of standards in normal times to take as few chances as possible in not normal times.

Whether someone has symptoms or not, they can be carriers, and going out where there are groups does nothing but increase the exposure to the entire population, regardless of age. Young people can go out, pick up the disease, have few symptoms and then pass it to others at home or elsewhere who are at risk. Everyone needs to do their part.
Just to relieve some of your concern, cooked food presents no real threat for several reasons, first of which is survival temps for the virus which cooked food well surpasses, even if prepared by someone infected. Second, ingestion of your food goes through several body functions such as saliva enzymes and of course stomach acid that kills the virus easily. Now if someone infected sneezed directly on a cold salad there probably is some risk, but that would likely require you to have droplets find there way to your nose. The virus has to find its way to your lungs to really be a problem, which is why protection of the nasal passages and airways, and protection FROM others' nasal passages and airways is critical.

If you wanted an extreme approach to be completely safe with delivered food, wear rubber gloves when taking it from the delivery and unpacking it onto a clean plate, and nuke it in the microwave for 25-30 seconds before consuming.
Bearitto
LTbear said:

bearassnekkid said:

LTbear said:

nein51 said:

LTbear said:

Yes, it is good. ****loads of people are asymptomatic and can still infect others. "Don't go out if you feel sick" is not nearly good enough advice.

I can't decide if your incessant cursing means you think you really care or that you just aren't well aquatinted with a great many words. I'm leaning towards the latter.
Oldbear83
LTbear said:

It's a good way to put good, honest people out of business out of paranoia.

Think I will patronize a restaurant today just to help them out.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
bearassnekkid
LTbear said:

bearassnekkid said:

LTbear said:

nein51 said:

LTbear said:

Your concern over the virus is juxtaposed in a bizarre way against your corresponding lack of concern for people who will suffer from the destruction of the economy. I'm not sure why you have so little care about people who will lose their jobs, retirement, etc, and all the resulting strain on society from stress related illness, suicide, divorce rate, domestic abuse, chemical dependency, etc. But go ahead and look at the small picture if it suits your outrage best I guess.
nein51
Just announced proposed closure of pubs in Ireland. That's real.
Bearitto
bearassnekkid said:

LTbear said:

bearassnekkid said:

LTbear said:

nein51 said:

LTbear said:

Your concern over the virus is juxtaposed in a bizarre way against your corresponding lack of concern for people who will suffer from the destruction of the economy. I'm not sure why you have so little care about people who will lose their jobs, retirement, etc, and all the resulting strain on society from stress related illness, suicide, divorce rate, domestic abuse, chemical dependency, etc. But go ahead and look at the small picture if it suits your outrage best I guess.

I suspect his advanced age has made him feel entitled to your obedience. Children should suffer so he doesn't need to worry.
LTbear
bearassnekkid said:

LTbear said:

bearassnekkid said:

LTbear said:

nein51 said:

LTbear said:

. Little care? I care a great deal, I just care more that people don't die.
Canada2017
nein51 said:

Just announced proposed closure of pubs in Ireland. That's real.

Has been real since December .

But it took the deaths in Italy in the last 2 weeks to finally alarm all the generations born since World War Two ...whom have never experienced a world wide catastrophe.

Folks up here are STILL crowding in their favorite bars .

Oldbear83
LTbear said:

bearassnekkid said:

LTbear said:

bearassnekkid said:

LTbear said:

nein51 said:

LTbear said:

And supposing your demanded actions do not actually save lives, but do ruin millions of careers and small businesses, just so you could feel like virtue signalling.

I am all for everyone taking reasonable precautions, and for those who choose to, to self-quarantine. I am very much opposed to government shutting down thousands of businesses just to look busy.

We can, and should, be talking about where to draw that line, not which extreme is worse.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I have seen the light and pledge to stay out of strip joints for the next two weeks.
nein51
Ohio closing restaurants and bars except carry out or delivery until 3/30.
LTbear
Oldbear83 said:

LTbear said:

bearassnekkid said:

LTbear said:

bearassnekkid said:

LTbear said:

nein51 said:

LTbear said:

And supposing your demanded actions do not actually save lives, but do ruin millions of careers and small businesses, just so you could feel like virtue signalling.

I am all for everyone taking reasonable precautions, and for those who choose to, to self-quarantine. I am very much opposed to government shutting down thousands of businesses just to look busy.

We can, and should, be talking about where to draw that line, not which extreme is worse.
Demanded actions? What the hell are you talking about? I never said I supported the government shutting business. I said "that's good to hear"when another poster commented that it seemed restaurants were less busy than normal. That is necessary right now.
PartyBear
California bars have been ordered closed and restaurants at half capacity.
Canada2017
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

I have seen the light and pledge to stay out of strip joints for the next two weeks.

Either you aren't working where you said you were, or have developed an uncharacteristic obsession for fat girls and seal blubber .

Better get back to Texas ASAP .
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Canada2017 said:

Either you aren't working where you said you were, or have developed an uncharacteristic obsession for fat girls and seal blubber .

lol. The nearest strip joint is a 500 mile plane ride (no roads) to Anchorage. Its an easy pledge to keep. I was just hoping to inspire others.
Canada2017

Canada2017 said:

lol. The nearest strip joint is a 500 mile plane ride (no roads) to Anchorage. Its an easy pledge to keep. I was just hoping to inspire others.

Unless there is a strip club full of gals with Daddy issues.....consider me permanently inspired .
quash
Bearitto said:

If you are 65 or over and immune compromised, stay out of restaurants. If you are healthy and under 65, enjoy yourself. Live your life. As much as the economy killers will let you. Patronize the restaurants that are still open so your cooks and servers can keep feeding their kids. Go to the movies if they are open so the college kids working there can pay tuition. Go to church and pray for those who can't attend. Go to work so you can feed your own family and pay your mortgage.
Live your life. What about the lives of those in your first sentence?

Calling people economy killers is a cheap bull**** shot at those who are acting with regard for the health of others, not just themselves. Yes there will be lost jobs and and businesses. The more Americans choose to socially distance themselves the smaller the problem will be. And of course, then you and others can come out and say "I told you so". FIne.

Go online and buy a gift certificate from your local restaurant or movie theater. Work from home if you can; our office has made even the paralegals set up for remote work.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.