Frustration with church

3,310 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Waco1947
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Canada2017 said:

God alone knows what's in the heart of a semi literate 'minister' who has spent years fervently advocating abortion.

Was this really necessary in a thread that, to the point of your post, had been really civil and productive?

Believe it or not, not every thread here has to devolve into a tribal pissing match. There is no rule.
Canada2017
bear2be2 said:

Canada2017 said:

God alone knows what's in the heart of a semi literate 'minister' who has spent years fervently advocating abortion.

Was this really necessary in a thread that, to the point of your post, had been really civil and productive?

Believe it or not, not every thread here has to devolve into a tribal pissing match. There is no rule.

Actually ...yes...it was necessary.

When some deviant son of a ***** runs around masquerading as a 'minister , encouraging young women to kill their babies ....am not going to remain silent when he attempts to connect his hypocrisy and ignorance to the teachings of the Catholic Church .

Everyone else...you believe in abortion ....that's your choice and your consequences.

But to run around as a 'minister' ...promoting such a destructive act ....is absolutely evil .

bear2be2
Canada2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

Canada2017 said:

Actually ...yes...it was necessary.

When some deviant son of a ***** runs around masquerading as a 'minister , encouraging young women to kill their babies ....am not going to remain silent when he attempts to connect his hypocrisy and ignorance to the teachings of the Catholic Church .

Everyone else...you believe in abortion ....that's your choice and your consequences.

But to run around as a 'minister' ...promoting such a destructive act ....is absolutely evil .
Whatever makes you feel better. Waco, for all of his flaws, was on topic and perfectly civil in this thread. You weren't. That makes you the problem, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. You hijacked the thread with your personal attacks, which had no real place in what was otherwise a really good discussion.
Waco1947
Canada2017 said:

I love Thomas Keating and Centering prayer. Catholics know about prayer and listening to God. We , Methodists talk a lot to God rather than listening. A Catholic monastery was excellent for my spiritual life.
Waco1947
Canada2017
Then you are choosing to ignore dozens of his threads and hundreds of his posts over the years .

Chuckle

Now the 'minister' is claiming past residency in a Catholic monastery.

Who could doubt it ?

bear2be2
Canada2017 said:

Then you are choosing to ignore dozens of his threads and hundreds of his posts over the years .

Who could doubt it ?
I'm not ignoring anything. I'm asking you to pick your battles. If you must fight it out with Waco, can you not do it one of the many threads where he's actually said something nutty? All you've done here is effectively end the original discussion, which was one of the best this board has seen in a long time.

You let his innocuous claims in this thread that a) have no material impact on your life/well being and b) are relevant to the context of this thread draw you offsides. But make no mistake, the flag's on you in this case.

Canada2017
Make no mistake....in the CONTEXT of what this ******* has said and done over the years ....

I don't give a damn about your flag .
Oldbear83
Canada2017 said:

Chuckle

Who could doubt it ?

Canada, I think you are missing what bear2be2 was saying in his comment. Lord knows the liberals are hanging with each other without ever criticizing someone in their group, but in this thread it's true that Waco has been civil, as much he is able to be.

I am pleased to see how some here have been able to look beyond politics in this crisis. Others have done so to a degree even if not they are not completely polite, and sadly some cannot step away from petty spite even now.

Speaking for myself, I am glad that no one in our group has the virus, sad for those related to our members who are fighting it now, and delighted to see the humanity and decency shown by many here. Quash, for example, has no politics in common with me and we bicker a lot on different issues, but he offered hope and advice about my wife's work situation, for which I am thankful and hope to keep in mind as we move forward.

I'd hope we can all try to present our opinions with respect for the people we speak to, even those with whom we will never agree on politics or religion. A different opinion, even if presented crassly, is still part of the conversation, and in times like these I like to see likely debate.

Wishing you all health, safety and a good future.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
bear2be2
Canada2017 said:

Make no mistake....in the CONTEXT of what this ******* has said and done over the years ....

I don't give a damn about your flag .
From your behavior in this thread, it would appear you don't give a damn about anyone on this board but yourself. You just let a petty personal conflict derail a thread that a lot of people, myself included, seemed to be enjoying/deriving value from. If that's something you feel good about and take pride in, more power to you.
Canada2017
You either don't get it or are choosing to ignore it .

A troll who masquerades as a minister while encouraging young women to kill their babies attempted to reference my Catholicism.

That is deeply offense to me .

You don't like it .......put me on ignore .

LIB,MR BEARS
bearassnekkid said:

fadskier said:

I have been attending church regularly since the fifth grade. I am not frustrated with church per se...actually frustrated with myself and my attitude towards church. I don't sing. After 10 minutes, my attention on the sermon is gone. We attend Sunday School which is a lesson and people share their opinions...and people really don't want to hear a dissenting opinion...they just want "church answers"and then we go to the service for another 30 minute or so lesson.

I am bored with it all. I go because I am supposed to go, not because I want to go. It's boring. In my 46 years of church attendance, I heard every story from the Bible and how it applies (or at least how the preacher thinks it applies.)

I often wonder what is wrong with me. I do not have that burning urge to go to church. This quarantine has made it worse. I have tried to watch some online churches (Stonebriar, Prestonwood, Gateway, Life Fellowship, etc) and they are all the same...band and singers, then a sermon.

I see/hear people say that "it was a belssing to be in church today and hear the word go God." I don't even know what that means. Can't we all read the Bible and hear the word of God?

I've become a cynic on church.
Awesome honesty, man. I've been there. Many different times, actually. Bearrito's passage from Screwtape Letters is perfect. Think on it.

Speaking of C.S Lewis, and since you asked about books, I would read Lewis' Mere Chrisitanity. If you've read it before, read it again. With a highlighter this time.

As for book's by Keller, read Reason for God and Prodigal God. Another good one while we're in lockdown is John Eldredge's Wild at Heart.

With regard to church specifically, I can relate. My recommendation is to find a good small group at whatever church you're at and do deeper community with some folks. Or maybe a men's bible study where you can be real and honest about stuff. Not just have to give the "sunday school" answers. I've often though that a men's group where guys could express doubts, debate theological issues, devil's advocate different topics, talk about struggles, etc, would be a really spiritually healthy thing. Heck, maybe I'll start one. If you're in north Dallas area you're invited.

Keep on keepin' on, and ask God specifically to walk closely with you, and reveal more about Himself, and to increase your faith. Talk to Him while you're driving, and randomly throughout the day. I'll be praying for you, brother.
Regarding the men's group, I am doing BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) . I think the small group we break into to discuss the previous weeks chapters is one of the most enriching things I've been involved with. The group had people from all walks of life and each with differing perspectives. Even the large group is good because it is a lesson discussed in a strictly male group and presented differently then it would be in a family setting. BSF may not be for everyone but, I think it is great.
ShooterTX
I would suggest a church with small groups. It is significantly different from a Bible study group, if it's done right.
I don't attend services every Sunday, but I rarely miss a small group meeting. It's very rewarding. A place to actually grow spiritually, minister to others, develop community... it's probably what you are wishing you would get on sundays, but it's just not possible in a large setting.
I would strongly recommend searching for a small group, rather than just another church.
Canada2017
LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearassnekkid said:

fadskier said:

I have been attending church regularly since the fifth grade. I am not frustrated with church per se...actually frustrated with myself and my attitude towards church. I don't sing. After 10 minutes, my attention on the sermon is gone. We attend Sunday School which is a lesson and people share their opinions...and people really don't want to hear a dissenting opinion...they just want "church answers"and then we go to the service for another 30 minute or so lesson.

I am bored with it all. I go because I am supposed to go, not because I want to go. It's boring. In my 46 years of church attendance, I heard every story from the Bible and how it applies (or at least how the preacher thinks it applies.)

I often wonder what is wrong with me. I do not have that burning urge to go to church. This quarantine has made it worse. I have tried to watch some online churches (Stonebriar, Prestonwood, Gateway, Life Fellowship, etc) and they are all the same...band and singers, then a sermon.

I see/hear people say that "it was a belssing to be in church today and hear the word go God." I don't even know what that means. Can't we all read the Bible and hear the word of God?

Awesome honesty, man. I've been there. Many different times, actually. Bearrito's passage from Screwtape Letters is perfect. Think on it.

Speaking of C.S Lewis, and since you asked about books, I would read Lewis' Mere Chrisitanity. If you've read it before, read it again. With a highlighter this time.

As for book's by Keller, read Reason for God and Prodigal God. Another good one while we're in lockdown is John Eldredge's Wild at Heart.

With regard to church specifically, I can relate. My recommendation is to find a good small group at whatever church you're at and do deeper community with some folks. Or maybe a men's bible study where you can be real and honest about stuff. Not just have to give the "sunday school" answers. I've often though that a men's group where guys could express doubts, debate theological issues, devil's advocate different topics, talk about struggles, etc, would be a really spiritually healthy thing. Heck, maybe I'll start one. If you're in north Dallas area you're invited.

Keep on keepin' on, and ask God specifically to walk closely with you, and reveal more about Himself, and to increase your faith. Talk to Him while you're driving, and randomly throughout the day. I'll be praying for you, brother.
Regarding the men's group, I am doing BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) . I think the small group we break into to discuss the previous weeks chapters is one of the most enriching things I've been involved with. The group had people from all walks of life and each with differing perspectives. Even the large group is good because it is a lesson discussed in a strictly male group and presented differently then it would be in a family setting. BSF may not be for everyone but, I think it is great.

Our Church conducts Small Groups .

Sometimes really informative....sometimes a dreadful bore .
LIB,MR BEARS
Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearassnekkid said:

fadskier said:

Our Church conducts Small Groups .

Sometimes really informative....sometimes a dreadful bore .
The thing I like about the small group in BSF is that the group leader isn't just the volunteer who had the most time but is actually someone who has studied the chapters and associated books. It's not just some Joe's opinion. As for boring, I think you get out of it what you put into it.
fadskier
curtpenn said:

fadskier said:

I'm 65 now. Born and raised Southern Baptist. Son, son-in-law, and grandson of Baptist deacons. Spent a couple of summers in my college days serving as interim Youth & Music Director. Met my starter wife at Baylor and current wife at Prestonwood in 1982 before it was so mega. So, yeah, pretty Baptist. All that said, our kids started attending a neighborhood Episcopal school in the mid-'90s. We discovered the liturgy and specifically, the Book of Common Prayer spoke to us both in unanticipated ways. We left Park Cities Baptist in '97 and were confirmed in the Episcopal Church. I hate the direction of the national church, but can't imagine "doing" church any other way now. The focus of Sunday is on worship and the Eucharist. Don't care anymore if there's a sermon or not. Just love the liturgy. Our parish has both traditional and more contemporary services available live streaming on FB. You can find some links to recent services here:

https://incarnation.org/digital-worship/

Might also mention I was in the A Capella Choir for several years at Baylor and have always loved serious choral music. The catalyst for leaving Park Cities was the shift to more contemporary music (even back then) and the upcoming Incarnation Choir tour the following summer which included residencies at Westminster and Chichester. Yeah, I mainly left because of the music - lol. Cannot stand more than a minute or two of contemporary Christian music. Ironically, I spent a lot of time in college with a guitar doing that sort of thing. Who knew?
Our family watched the service this morning. It was a much "higher" service than St. Paul's but still liked it. Thank you for the link.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
curtpenn
There's also a contemporary service every Sunday. I believe it is being streamed via FB at 9:00 am. I find it tolerable - Lol. The musicians are decent and off to one side. As always, the liturgy comes first though it is Rite 2. I much prefer Rite 1 and clergy in full vestments.
Waco1947
Canada2017 said:

Chuckle

Who could doubt it ?

I was there for a week at a time and for about 10 years I was not a "resident." I was sinner in need of God's grace.
Waco1947
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.