U of W Needs to Take Away the Pain

1,867 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Osodecentx
Jack and DP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://freewestmedia.com/2020/06/05/university-agrees-that-black-students-should-graded-differently/
riflebear
We are raising the snowflake generation
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Wow!!! Getting a curve just for being black. How absolutely insulting to black people. Like Joe Biden says, "Poor kids are just as bright as white kids!"
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
90sBear
I don't think liberals understand things like this create more unspoken racial animosity.
Canada2017
Intimidation works .

LTbear
Idiotic, and only harms them in the long run.
riflebear
I have to put up with liberalism Tearing down our country everyday. I'm going to ask my employer for a raise of if I can do less work and see how that goes over.
Booray
This country needs to get a grip.
Doc Holliday
Canada2017 said:

Intimidation works .
This.
Doc Holliday
Quote:

The email sent by McNichols to her students reads: "First, the remaining homework chapters are being put into review mode. Everyone will receive full points. Second, I have decided to drop everyone's lowest exam score. This means that you may opt-out of taking Exam 3 if you just don't feel up to it, (or if you [are] happy with your scores from exam 1 and 2)."
Booray
Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

The email sent by McNichols to her students reads: "First, the remaining homework chapters are being put into review mode. Everyone will receive full points. Second, I have decided to drop everyone's lowest exam score. This means that you may opt-out of taking Exam 3 if you just don't feel up to it, (or if you [are] happy with your scores from exam 1 and 2)."

It also means that you are not expected to read or demonstrate knowledge of whatever material was covered in Exam 3
SIC EM 94
Just give them a diploma, a can of black spray paint, a pat on their head, and send them on their way!
Canada2017
SIC EM 94 said:

Just give them a diploma, a can of black spray paint, a pat on their head, and send them on their way!

Employers got to hire their quotas irregardless .

Of course it will be pure hell for the managers who have to bring these snowflakes up to speed .

Even then it will be the 'racist' managers who will be held accountable.
Osodecentx
Jack and DP said:

https://freewestmedia.com/2020/06/05/university-agrees-that-black-students-should-graded-differently/
Would you hire a UW graduate who is Black and graduated in the next few years?

Jack
you need to do cut and paste

University agrees that black students should be graded differently
Students at the University of Washington are demanding that black students should not face difficult exams and time constraints because they are too "busy fighting for [their] rights to sit down and study".

And the university thinks it is a good idea: It is currently advising professors to pass black students on the basis of race after an online petition gathered more than 26 000 signatures.
"You need to encourage and demand professors to accommodate their black students during this time. If UW truly understands our pain, UW will be a part of alleviating it," the petition states.
Click here to subscribe to our Free West Media YouTube Channel!
Nicole McNichols, UW Psychology Professor told Campus Reform that she supported the move. "Obviously, I support the petition and absolutely believe the accommodations it requests should be honored by all faculty. Students need all of the support and compassion we can afford to give them right now."
UW Senior Director of Media Relations Victor Balta said that all staff were asked "to consider that while we are together as a community, some are being affected more than others".
Thee University
How about letting white athletes get 1/2 of each NCAA football or basketball game playing time?
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Osodecentx
Thee University said:

How about letting white athletes get 1/2 of each NCAA football or basketball game playing time?
Or a team gets 3 & 1/2 points for each white basketball player it starts or 7 points in football if half the starters are white?
Thee University
Osodecentx said:

Thee University said:

Or a team gets 3 & 1/2 points for each white basketball player it starts or 7 points in football is half the starters are white?
No. Just like soccer participation trophies................all lilly white mama's boys get to play 1/2 a game.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
nein51
If someone said "all the white students are going to be graded on a curve" the world would implode.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Booray said:

A seemingly agreeable statement, yet quite ambiguous. What do you mean, as it relates to this story?
Booray
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Booray said:

A seemingly agreeable statement, yet quite ambiguous. What do you mean, as it relates to this story?

It means that the request for preferential treatment is a blizzard of snowflakes.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Booray said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Booray said:

It means that the request for preferential treatment is a blizzard of snowflakes.
Ok, well said.
The only issue with your comment is that it's not the whole "country" that needs to get a grip. This is coming only from the left.
bear2be2
Why is it so difficult in this country to strike a balance between compassion/empathy and personal accountability/common sense? The American political right is woefully short on the former and the left on the latter. It makes this nation an insanely frustrating place to live.
Robert Wilson
Eh, I'd have been quite surprised to find out UW had made anyone do anything since March. Maybe even before then.

In other news. Terrance Ganaway just gashed them for another 80.
Doc Holliday
bear2be2 said:

Why is it so difficult in this country to strike a balance between compassion/empathy and personal accountability/common sense? The American political right is woefully short on the former and the left on the latter. It makes this nation an insanely frustrating place to live.
Well said
jupiter
mainly, the reason why we don't have accountability is because we haven't figured out how to solve the who watches the watchers problem, i.e. how do we hold the people holding people accountable accountable?

And we wont have empathy until the accountability problem is solved
Oldbear83
jupiter said:

mainly, the reason why we don't have accountability is because we haven't figured out how to solve the who watches the watchers problem, i.e. how do we hold the people holding people accountable accountable?

And we wont have empathy until the accountability problem is solved
Start with demanding the media report news, not their opinion
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Gold Tron
I'm not sure why empathy is relevant to this topic. If you have a job and don't go to work, you get fired. I have told my kids ad nauseum that school is their job. If you don't go or don't study and perform, you don't get a good grade. It really is that simple. Lots of kids have it hard in college. Some work 2-3 jobs while others parents are able to pay. Should those kids get an academic boost too?
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
Thee University
Our nation is getting softer every year.

Our nation is getting dumber every year.

Accoutability and the ability to enforce accountability is a thing of the past.

Old Money vs. New Money.

Bushwood Country Club. Some people just don't belong.

bear2be2
Gold Tron said:

I'm not sure why empathy is relevant to this topic. If you have a job and don't go to work, you get fired. I have told my kids ad nauseum that school is their job. If you don't go or don't study and perform, you don't get a good grade. It really is that simple. Lots of kids have it hard in college. Some work 2-3 jobs while others parents are able to pay. Should those kids get an academic boost too?

Empathy is relevant to every topic, and your apparent inability to grasp that kind of proves my point.
Booray
Gold Tron said:

Whenever I hear college students talk about stress I am reminded that at the exact moment they are crying about sorority life, getting into grad school or in this case the horror of reading about a society that is imperfect, I am also reminded that there is someone exactly their age trying to make sure he and his buddies are not blown to oblivion by an IED. And not asking for favors or handouts.
Malbec
bear2be2 said:

No, I think the right does feel sorry for the left being so stupid and irresponsible. The left just doesn't recognize it, because they never feel sorry when someone on the right is stupid or irresponsible (even centuries ago), they just cancel them.
Gold Tron
bear2be2 said:

Gold Tron said:

Empathy is relevant to every topic, and your apparent inability to grasp that kind of proves my point.

Maybe I chose my words poorly. You are correct, empathy is important but it doesn't absolve others of their responsibilities. A college education is a privilege not a right. The ability to pursue a college education is a right. I support equal opportunity with every fiber of my being but the notion of equal outcomes is just absurd.
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
bear2be2
Gold Tron said:

bear2be2 said:

Gold Tron said:

Maybe I chose my words poorly. You are correct, empathy is important but it doesn't absolve others of their responsibilities. A college education is a privilege not a right. The ability to pursue a college education is a right. I support equal opportunity with every fiber of my being but the notion of equal outcomes is just absurd.

We basically agree here. But your first two paragraphs describe the balance I was talking about.

I think personal accountability is really important, and people have to be held responsible for their own actions/decisions. But I also think empathy is necessary to reach any kind of understanding or middle ground with people who've had different life experiences than you. If the pendulum swings too far in one direction or the other, you end up where we are now, with a divided and dysfunctional society.
bear2be2
Malbec said:

bear2be2 said:

No, I think the right does feel sorry for the left being so stupid and irresponsible. The left just doesn't recognize it, because they never feel sorry when someone on the right is stupid or irresponsible (even centuries ago), they just cancel them.

In addition to missing the point entirely (and inadvertently proving it), you've mistaken empathy with sympathy, which requires less work and is far less helpful in addressing and solving complex problems.
Malbec
bear2be2 said:

Malbec said:

bear2be2 said:

In addition to missing the point entirely (and inadvertently proving it), you've mistaken empathy with sympathy, which requires less work and is far less helpful in addressing and solving complex problems.
Once again you have slipped the bonds of irony.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.