Southern Baptist Convention to Rename Itself In Nod to BLM Movement

3,599 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Osodecentx
George Truett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Carlos Safety said:

Refugee? LOL. Refugees don't return to their country of origin.
They do when conditions change.

But I agree "refugee" isn't right.

"Fugitive" would be better.
George Truett
PartyBear said:

Good for the soon formerly known as SBC denomination. I don't keep up with them anymore but I thought I had heard here actually 2 or 3 years ago maybe a little longer ago the fundies started losing control.
The old guard fundies have lost their grip. Paige Patterson was given the heave-ho at SWBTS. Paul Pressler is pinned down by a lawsuit accusing him of molesting a 14-year-old years ago.

Al Mohler is a Trump acolyte at SBTS. Greear represents a new generation that is less caustic and racist than past leadership.

Of course, like all denominations, the SBC is in decline, so its national power and influence is waning.
Sam Lowry
George Truett said:

Sam Lowry said:

BaylorFTW said:

The church will rename itself Great Commission Baptists.
Clunky.

They should just call it the Supine Baptist Convention. That way at least they could keep the initials.

I've always liked "The Catholic Church of the South."
Not familiar with that, but I do know a few who call themselves Eastern Orthodox. I also understand there are some Roman Catholic churches that aren't actually in Rome, though I'm not sure how long that name will survive given the Romans' sordid history of slavery and imperialism.
George Truett
Bearitto said:

cinque said:

Bearitto said:

Mark 7:6 He replied, "Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: " 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.

Matthew 6:1 "Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

Romans 10:3 Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness.

Titus 1:16 They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.

Matthew 23:27"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. 28 In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

Luke 20:46 "Beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. 47 They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. These men will be punished most severely."
A text without a context is a pretext.

Hypocrites hate God. It's no wonder you bristle at His word.
While you're beating up on Cinque with "the Word" you might try working on this one:

Matthew 22:39. "Love your neighbor as yourself"

1 Corinthians 13:4 "Love is patient, love is kind..."

Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, Cinque is your brother or sister in Christ. The ultimate hypocrite is one who claims to follow Christ by ignores his commandment to love.
George Truett
Sam Lowry said:

George Truett said:

Sam Lowry said:

BaylorFTW said:

Clunky.

They should just call it the Supine Baptist Convention. That way at least they could keep the initials.

Not familiar with that, but I do know a few who call themselves Eastern Orthodox. I also understand there are some Roman Catholic churches that aren't actually in Rome, though I'm not sure how long that name will survive given the Romans' sordid history of slavery and imperialism.
You wouldn't be familiar with the term.

It means that the SBC had the position of cultural dominance in the south that the RCC had in places in the north.
Redbrickbear
George Truett said:

Sam Lowry said:

George Truett said:

Sam Lowry said:

BaylorFTW said:

Clunky.

It means that the SBC had the position of cultural dominance in the south that the RCC had in places in the north.
Methodists, Baptists, and Presbyterians all shared cultural dominance in the South.

Neither of them had anything like the cultural monopoly the Roman Catholic church had over the urban Northeast.

But it doesn't matter...all of that has changed since the 1980s.

The Northeast is a post-Christian area and the RCC is in membership free fall...the largest stand alone denomination in the country would be ex-Catholics if measured in those terms.

The Presbyterians have collapsed...like all the liberal mainline...and the United Methodist church is about to split over homosexuality.

And the Baptists have low fertility and are declining every year...though still 15 million or so members.
Osodecentx
George Truett said:

Sam Lowry said:

George Truett said:

Sam Lowry said:

BaylorFTW said:

Clunky.

Is this the Truett Seminary position?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.