Court Seeks Biden Views on WFH Taxes

1,152 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ShooterTX
Jacques Strap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Supreme Court Seeks Biden DOJ Views on Work-From-Home Taxes

The U.S. Supreme Court sought the Biden administration's views on a state-against-state clash over billions of dollars in income taxes paid by people who work from home during the Covid-19 pandemic.

New Hampshire is seeking to sue directly at the high court to challenge the Massachusetts practice of taxing nonresidents who used to work in the state but now do their jobs from home.

The case could determine the fate of similar, permanent tax laws in New York and five other states. New Jersey and Connecticut filed a brief backing New Hampshire, telling the court they are losing massive sums to New York in violation of the Constitution.

The stakes are especially high for New Jersey, which estimates it will credit as much as $1.2 billion to its residents for income taxes paid to New York in the 12 months starting in March 2020. Before the pandemic, more than 400,000 residents of New Jersey commuted to jobs in New York City.
EatMoreSalmon
Bob works in New York and lives in New Jersey. He is personally taxed in New Jersey and the business he works for is taxed in New York. He pays sales taxes in both states. Seems good enough. One state gets the benefit of the company while another gets the benefit of the residence.
Mitch Blood Green
Great dilemma. I know several people who work in Boston but live in New Hampshire. (I also know people in live in Canada and work in Detroit).

I'm not paying Cali taxes right now.
ShooterTX
tommie said:

Great dilemma. I know several people who work in Boston but live in New Hampshire. (I also know people in live in Canada and work in Detroit).

Talk about the ultimate lose/lose scenario!
ShooterTX
Mitch Blood Green
ShooterTX said:

tommie said:

Detroit is a good city. Canada a great country.
nein51
tommie said:

ShooterTX said:

tommie said:

People who think Detroit sucks have never been. Look up houses in Bloomfield Hills and tell me how much Detroit sucks.
DAC
ShooterTX said:

tommie said:

All the above in any combination are lose/lose!
nein51
DAC said:

ShooterTX said:

tommie said:

All the above in any combination are lose/lose!

Yeah. Sucks there

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2756-Turtle-Bluff-Dr-Bloomfield-Hills-MI-48302/125758232_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare
DAC
I don't get it.. are you saying because there is a mansion there it makes it a good city to live in or near?
nein51
DAC said:

I don't get it.. are you saying because there is a mansion there it makes it a good city to live in or near?

I'm saying there are loads and loads of amazing places in the Detroit. Living there doesn't suck. It's cold but no more miserable than Texas in august. Detroit is like Dallas or Houston. Yeah some parts suck but others are incredible.

Bloomfield hills is easily as nice as any place in the US. That's not the only house like that.
ShooterTX
nein51 said:

tommie said:

ShooterTX said:

tommie said:

People who think Detroit sucks have never been. Look up houses in Bloomfield Hills and tell me how much Detroit sucks.

I've been all over the nation, including multiple trips to Detroit for business. Never spent more than 4 nights there, but also done the same in Seattle, Phoenix, San Diego, Chicago, Charlotte, Denver, Salt Lake, Miami, Atlanta, Indianapolis, and many, many others... and I would take any of these listed over what I have seen in Detroit... every time.

I'm sorry if you love Detroit, but I have been there and do not miss it... at all.

ShooterTX
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.