What is the Elon Musk Hosting SNL Controversy All About?

2,177 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Oldbear83
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saturday Night Live. Why are some of the cast members supposedly going to boycott or not take the stage with him? What did he do that they don't like? He provides thousands of good paying jobs in the U.S. He seems to be somewhat defiant as far as CEOs go. He smokes dope. What's not to like by the woke folk?

https://news.yahoo.com/snl-cast-members-wont-forced-103747630.html

Serious question. Is it just because he is rich? This article talks a lot about cast members being unhappy but doesn't really explain why. Just curious.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Mothra
Seems they are woke, and don't like some of his more conservative views. And as you know, the woke are the least tolerant of people.
Redbrickbear
They don't have anything specifically to attack him on...yet.

But basically he goes on Joe Rogan's podcast sometimes, seems sorta conservative on some issues or at least known to not be very woke, is a straight white male, is rich, is a business owner, and is a South African white male to top it off.

All things rad-Liberals generally dislike or feel that he is not "one of us" so to speak.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/06/ive-said-elon-musk-reveals-true-political-beliefs-8459377/

"While people on the right often express hopes that Musk is on their side, liberals and leftists regularly attack him and claim he's some sort of crypto-conservative."

The fact that he rarely speaks out in support of woke policies/social issues makes him politically suspect to the modern Left.
BellCountyBear
Is he on this Saturday? I thought it was last Saturday...tuned in, saw he wasn't hosting and immediately turned off!
Canon
BellCountyBear said:

Is he on this Saturday? I thought it was last Saturday...tuned in, saw he wasn't hosting and immediately turned off!

You cut their ratings in half. Not nice.
Forest Bueller_bf
Redbrickbear said:

But basically he goes on Joe Rogan's podcast sometimes, seems sorta conservative on some issues or at least known to not be very woke, is a straight white male, is rich, is a business owner, and is a South African white male to top it off.

All things rad-Liberals generally dislike or feel that he is not "one of us" so to speak.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/06/ive-said-elon-musk-reveals-true-political-beliefs-8459377/

"While people on the right often express hopes that Musk is on their side, liberals and leftists regularly attack him and claim he's some sort of crypto-conservative."

The fact that he rarely speaks out in support of woke policies/social issues makes him politically suspect to the modern Left.

And to think, SNL used to be an edgy politically incorrect show that was actually funny.

They may still be, I just don't watch it any longer.
trey3216
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Redbrickbear said:

And to think, SNL used to be an edgy politically incorrect show that was actually funny.

They may still be, I just don't watch it any longer.
They're more of a stodgy, politically correct show that only cares about insular feedback loops that is no longer funny.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
STxBear81
woke people dont like his space ships.
Redbrickbear
BornAgain said:

I went down a leftist Twitter rabbit hole one time and many were trying to make connections between Musk wanting to get us to Mars and colonize space....with "White supremacy" and "Western colonial imperialism"

I had to turn off the computer and get a strong drink after reading those comments.
Buddha Bear
Mothra said:

Seems they are woke, and don't like some of his more conservative views. And as you know, the woke are the least tolerant of people.

Haha I think it's pretty even. Extremists are all the same.
contrario
There are a lot of contradictions that come with Musk. He makes electric cars, which is the way the auto industry is going for political and social reasons, but Tesla is one of the largest investors in Bitcoin, which uses as much energy as a small country to run. On top of that, he is pro-business and pro-freedom. A lot of ammo for liberals to dislike him with.
Robert Wilson
Redbrickbear said:

BornAgain said:

I went down a leftist Twitter rabbit hole one time and many were trying to make connections between Musk wanting to get us to Mars and colonize space....with "White supremacy" and "Western colonial imperialism"

I had to turn off the computer and get a strong drink after reading those comments.
oh my dear lord
Robert Wilson
contrario said:

There are a lot of contradictions that come with Musk. He makes electric cars, which is the way the auto industry is going for political and social reasons, but Tesla is one of the largest investors in Bitcoin, which uses as much energy as a small country to run. On top of that, he is pro-business and pro-freedom. A lot of ammo for liberals to dislike him with.
Yeah, he's pro business and pro freedom. He supports bitcoin. He was also anti-insane California lockdown as harming his workers and his company. I'm sure that ticked some of them off. He's also complimented Texas and the freedom of people here.

So, since he said some things the woke TV comedian gestapo disagrees with, the fragilistas get to avoid him on their show. Bizarre.

I haven't watched it in 20 years, so what do I care. I'm surprised he's going on there. But he seems really intent on straddling this line between serious person and cultural icon. Working quite well for him, I suppose.
J.R.
just give me my weekend update. As good as it has been in a long time. Jost and Che are great!
Canon
J.R. said:

just give me my weekend update. As good as it has been in a long time. Jost and Che are great!

Who? Norm MacDonald was the last great host for that.
J.R.
Canon said:

J.R. said:

nah....you need to give it a spin. It's as funny as it has ever been and I go back to Rosanna, Rosanna-Dana! Rip
BaylorOkie
Canon said:

J.R. said:

He was so good.
Oldbear83
BornAgain said:

I do admit I found the 'photon torpedo bays' a little worrisome.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.