Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Football

Bears will turn to Zach Smith at QB, Matt Rhule announces

September 11, 2017
13,195

After Baylor's winless start through two games against Liberty and UTSA, Matt Rhule has decided to go back to the quarterback who brought Baylor their last victory in December of 2016 against Boise State in the Cactus Bowl.

That is 6-foot-3, 225-pound sophomore quarterback Zach Smith.

“I’ll start Zach this week," Rhule announced on the Big 12 media call on Monday morning.

Graduate transfer Anu Solomon started Baylor's first two games of the season, throwing for 399 yards with four touchdowns and two interceptions, but only completed 10-of-26 passes for 121 yards against UTSA on Saturday evening.

The losses to non-Power 5 programs in which the Bears were favored was the obvious tipping point to make a change to Smith, but Rhule stated there were multiple factors which led the staff to the decision.

"Just a lot of different factors, Rhule said. "Anu got banged up a little bit in the game and I think Zach went out there and he was ready to go. So, we’ll turn to Zach this week.

"It was a tough, tough, tight race in camp. I think people maybe thought I was messing around when I went right down to the last day. After two games, in terms of where the offensive line is and some of the hits Anu has taken, and Zach, you know, I think he’s more ready to play. We’ll start Zach this week.”

Rhule praised Smith for his attitude throughout the spring and summer and the start of the season.

“I think the biggest thing I like about Zach is the fact that he had to sit down and watch Anu play and he had a tremendous attitude about it," Rhule said. "He went out there for one play in each of the last two games and was ready to go. He’s a competitor, you know. The last win these kids have had he led them to. He’s healthy now. I think that ankles 100 percent. He’s moving around well. We’re going to turn to him and let him go do his thing.”

As a true freshman in 2016, Smith completed 116-of-196 passes for 1,526 yards and 13 touchdowns and started Baylor's final four games of the 2016 season after an injury to Seth Russell. Against Boise State, Smith completed 28-of-39 passes for 375 yards with three touchdowns and one interception.

Discussion from...

Bears will turn to Zach Smith at QB, Matt Rhule announces

Ajax BU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
R
Good
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
Hope Zach the Zebra can lead the Bears to victory at Duke
Gruvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
Hope this helps unify the lockerroom and gets the offense moving
ranchtx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
R
About damn time..!!!!!!
Kyle Gunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
R
Unless we have an up tempo offense, we won't win games in Big 12, much less out of conference
BUGWBBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
About *********f. U. C. K. I. N. G. Time!

Nice to know we'll have someone with a bowl win and can hit receivers.

But without that uptempo offense, we lose.

0-12
BUGWBBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
BUGWBBear said:

About God Dayum f. U. C. K. I. N. G. Time!

Nice to know we'll have someone with a bowl win and can hit receivers.

But without that uptempo offense, we lose.

0-12
hOwley88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
R
Two weeks late in my opinion... We will see this week if its a system problem or player problem... hopefully its the latter version
PacificBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
Rhule is a genius! Wonder what made him choose Zach?
ScottH
How long do you want to ignore this user?
R
This "experiment" shows why the 5th year graduate transfer is a questionable proposition. You cannot bring in a kid from another system with just 1 year left and expect the chemistry to develop in a manner equal to another, albeit younger, player that has extensive experience and chemistry with the team, as a whole.

It looks good on paper and good in theory; but, rarely works in application...esp. at the quarterback position where everything is dependent on chemistry, timing and real game experience.

BU has lost 2 complete recruiting classes and it will take the 2017 season to acclimate the guys on the field right now to playing at the D-1 level...coupled with another strong recruiting class. For those of us that started watching BU football in Baylor Stadium in the early-1960's, an 8-4 or 9-3 season with a bowl game is a wonderful thing. Support the kids and cheer their development. We could be Tech or Vanderbilt or Rice or UNT and just have "Welcome" on the front of our jerseys.

BU Football will be back in very, very short order.
Forest Bueller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
ScottH said:



BU Football will be back in very, very short order.


Scott, I sure hope you are right.

If not BU will be in the Mountain West in very short order.
By the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved.
Bear8084
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
ScottH said:

This "experiment" shows why the 5th year graduate transfer is a questionable proposition. You cannot bring in a kid from another system with just 1 year left and expect the chemistry to develop in a manner equal to another, albeit younger, player that has extensive experience and chemistry with the team, as a whole.

It looks good on paper and good in theory; but, rarely works in application...esp. at the quarterback position where everything is dependent on chemistry, timing and real game experience.

BU has lost 2 complete recruiting classes and it will take the 2017 season to acclimate the guys on the field right now to playing at the D-1 level...coupled with another strong recruiting class. For those of us that started watching BU football in Baylor Stadium in the early-1960's, an 8-4 or 9-3 season with a bowl game is a wonderful thing. Support the kids and cheer their development. We could be Tech or Vanderbilt or Rice or UNT and just have "Welcome" on the front of our jerseys.

BU Football will be back in very, very short order.


I hope so. I have faith in the process right now, but I have to start seeing some improvements and soon. I hope this is what Zach has been waiting for and lights it up, but that O-line depth is concerning with his lack of mobility. Maybe he has gotten some better legs on him over the offseason. I do believe Zach's deep ball should be better and maybe that opens some things up for us.
Wikstr9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
Is it just me but does Thule sound like he doesn't know that the hell is going on.....Serously, Anu was banged up in the game and you left him in. The guy is a moron and needs to go.

PacificBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
BU Football will be back in very, very short order.

What does this mean in your world? 5, 10, 15 years?
D. C. Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
ScottH said:

This "experiment" shows why the 5th year graduate transfer is a questionable proposition. You cannot bring in a kid from another system with just 1 year left and expect the chemistry to develop in a manner equal to another, albeit younger, player that has extensive experience and chemistry with the team, as a whole.

It looks good on paper and good in theory; but, rarely works in application...esp. at the quarterback position where everything is dependent on chemistry, timing and real game experience.

BU has lost 2 complete recruiting classes and it will take the 2017 season to acclimate the guys on the field right now to playing at the D-1 level...coupled with another strong recruiting class. For those of us that started watching BU football in Baylor Stadium in the early-1960's, an 8-4 or 9-3 season with a bowl game is a wonderful thing. Support the kids and cheer their development. We could be Tech or Vanderbilt or Rice or UNT and just have "Welcome" on the front of our jerseys.

BU Football will be back in very, very short order.
No, we didn't lose two complete recruiting classes.
Yes, Rhule will get Baylor back to winning football.
Ghostrider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
I actually have some hope now that Smith is starting.
Wikstr9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
Hey No. Thule won't ever win more than 8 games in a season at Baylor. A 500 record is unacceptable.
Ghostrider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
D. C. Bear said:

ScottH said:

This "experiment" shows why the 5th year graduate transfer is a questionable proposition. You cannot bring in a kid from another system with just 1 year left and expect the chemistry to develop in a manner equal to another, albeit younger, player that has extensive experience and chemistry with the team, as a whole.

It looks good on paper and good in theory; but, rarely works in application...esp. at the quarterback position where everything is dependent on chemistry, timing and real game experience.

BU has lost 2 complete recruiting classes and it will take the 2017 season to acclimate the guys on the field right now to playing at the D-1 level...coupled with another strong recruiting class. For those of us that started watching BU football in Baylor Stadium in the early-1960's, an 8-4 or 9-3 season with a bowl game is a wonderful thing. Support the kids and cheer their development. We could be Tech or Vanderbilt or Rice or UNT and just have "Welcome" on the front of our jerseys.

BU Football will be back in very, very short order.
No, we didn't lose two complete recruiting classes.
Yes, Rhule will get Baylor back to winning football.
define winning....10-2? 9-3? 6-6?
DoubleBearClaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
P
1. He should have been starting since Liberty.

But now I'm a bit torn since Rhule already pissed the season away, it might be better just to red shirt Smith.
D. C. Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Mr. Goodbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

ScottH said:

This "experiment" shows why the 5th year graduate transfer is a questionable proposition. You cannot bring in a kid from another system with just 1 year left and expect the chemistry to develop in a manner equal to another, albeit younger, player that has extensive experience and chemistry with the team, as a whole.

It looks good on paper and good in theory; but, rarely works in application...esp. at the quarterback position where everything is dependent on chemistry, timing and real game experience.

BU has lost 2 complete recruiting classes and it will take the 2017 season to acclimate the guys on the field right now to playing at the D-1 level...coupled with another strong recruiting class. For those of us that started watching BU football in Baylor Stadium in the early-1960's, an 8-4 or 9-3 season with a bowl game is a wonderful thing. Support the kids and cheer their development. We could be Tech or Vanderbilt or Rice or UNT and just have "Welcome" on the front of our jerseys.

BU Football will be back in very, very short order.
No, we didn't lose two complete recruiting classes.
Yes, Rhule will get Baylor back to winning football.
define winning....10-2? 9-3? 6-6?
9-plus wins.
He'll be able to win at the level of Kansas State at a minimum.
BikerBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
P
This guy is a real genius. He figured out in 2 games what most of us had figured out after the first 2 series against Liberty. We have put Zach in a hole with 2 losses to pansies, but the kid is a damn good quarterback and it is high time for us to see what he can do. I made the trip to Phoenix last year and it was well worth the trip. Just remember that Zach was recruited by someone who actually knows quarterbacks.
BikerBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
P
DoubleBearClaw said:

1. He should have been starting since Liberty.

But now I'm a bit torn since Rhule already pissed the season away, it might be better just to red shirt Smith.
Too late for that anyway. This genius coach put Zach in to throw a hail Mary at the end of the Liberty game, and then he came in for a single play against UTSA. I laughed, because in one play Zach almost equaled Anu's production for the half. :-) Zach comes in for one play and completes a 16 yard pass. As far as I was concerned it was the highlight of the UTSA game.
clayc34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
R
Good decision to start Smith. Even if the Bears still loss, he'll get the experience he needs for the future.
Ghostrider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
D. C. Bear said:

Mr. Goodbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

ScottH said:

This "experiment" shows why the 5th year graduate transfer is a questionable proposition. You cannot bring in a kid from another system with just 1 year left and expect the chemistry to develop in a manner equal to another, albeit younger, player that has extensive experience and chemistry with the team, as a whole.

It looks good on paper and good in theory; but, rarely works in application...esp. at the quarterback position where everything is dependent on chemistry, timing and real game experience.

BU has lost 2 complete recruiting classes and it will take the 2017 season to acclimate the guys on the field right now to playing at the D-1 level...coupled with another strong recruiting class. For those of us that started watching BU football in Baylor Stadium in the early-1960's, an 8-4 or 9-3 season with a bowl game is a wonderful thing. Support the kids and cheer their development. We could be Tech or Vanderbilt or Rice or UNT and just have "Welcome" on the front of our jerseys.

BU Football will be back in very, very short order.
No, we didn't lose two complete recruiting classes.
Yes, Rhule will get Baylor back to winning football.
define winning....10-2? 9-3? 6-6?
9-plus wins.
He'll be able to win at the level of Kansas State at a minimum.
lol, ok...you base that on absolutely nothing except a mere guess. When will this happen? 2020? 2025?
DaRealBears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
R
ScottH said:

This "experiment" shows why the 5th year graduate transfer is a questionable proposition. You cannot bring in a kid from another system with just 1 year left and expect the chemistry to develop in a manner equal to another, albeit younger, player that has extensive experience and chemistry with the team, as a whole.

It looks good on paper and good in theory; but, rarely works in application...esp. at the quarterback position where everything is dependent on chemistry, timing and real game experience.


I agree with this. I understand the mindset of only having one year so you might as well use them, but I don't necessarily agree with it.
Bring in a grad transfer as a backup when you don't have much QB depth, but don't start them. They're one and done.. why not give the guy who is going to take over after he's gone get more reps and be that much better for the following year?

I'm looking forward to seeing Zach in action again, I just hope his offseason weight loss has paid off when it comes time to scramble.
CoachHBU2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
P
D. C. Bear said:

Mr. Goodbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

ScottH said:

This "experiment" shows why the 5th year graduate transfer is a questionable proposition. You cannot bring in a kid from another system with just 1 year left and expect the chemistry to develop in a manner equal to another, albeit younger, player that has extensive experience and chemistry with the team, as a whole.

It looks good on paper and good in theory; but, rarely works in application...esp. at the quarterback position where everything is dependent on chemistry, timing and real game experience.

BU has lost 2 complete recruiting classes and it will take the 2017 season to acclimate the guys on the field right now to playing at the D-1 level...coupled with another strong recruiting class. For those of us that started watching BU football in Baylor Stadium in the early-1960's, an 8-4 or 9-3 season with a bowl game is a wonderful thing. Support the kids and cheer their development. We could be Tech or Vanderbilt or Rice or UNT and just have "Welcome" on the front of our jerseys.

BU Football will be back in very, very short order.
No, we didn't lose two complete recruiting classes.
Yes, Rhule will get Baylor back to winning football.
define winning....10-2? 9-3? 6-6?
9-plus wins.
He'll be able to win at the level of Kansas State at a minimum.


Easy. He'll be able to do with KState does at minimum. Upside is he can potentially make us playoff contenders if his transition to a hybrid pro style attack comes to fruition. Time will tell. I'm willing to give him a shot.

We need size and talent at the end of the day. The reason why he doesn't want to scrap the pro style attack is because he believes this is what is going to bring in Bama and USC style talent. It could very well be the quickest way to replenish the team, but we're going to have to start winning games or at least be competitive in big games this season.

I understand the infatuation about a spread attack, but not just anyone can run it. Not all spreads are the same. Truthfully the reason why we were so good at it was because of Briles and the attitude and confidence he brought with it. He just instilled it in the players.

It's not the offensive style that's the problem. It's the lack of confidence in the players. We need to build them back up and have their backs. They've been through a lot.

But let's keep things in perspective. How many teams in the Big XII run a great uptempo spread attack. Probably 3 in OU, OSU and Tech. Not sold on Texas yet and Hermans version of it is not uptempo and heavy on run game. So the idea that we must be an uptempo spread offense is not quite accurate. Coaches need to be who they are and run what they are confident in running.

I think the thing that Rhule messed up in was not starting Zach from the jump and just doing what he knows best. Trying to run 3 offenses is ridiculous. Run your pro style sets. Mesh plays from the old offense that players know and love and can confidently execute. Play fast. Play physical. Be creative. If you do that it doesn't matter if you're in gun or under center. That's a winning recipe.
Pale Rider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Me too.
D. C. Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Mr. Goodbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mr. Goodbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

ScottH said:

This "experiment" shows why the 5th year graduate transfer is a questionable proposition. You cannot bring in a kid from another system with just 1 year left and expect the chemistry to develop in a manner equal to another, albeit younger, player that has extensive experience and chemistry with the team, as a whole.

It looks good on paper and good in theory; but, rarely works in application...esp. at the quarterback position where everything is dependent on chemistry, timing and real game experience.

BU has lost 2 complete recruiting classes and it will take the 2017 season to acclimate the guys on the field right now to playing at the D-1 level...coupled with another strong recruiting class. For those of us that started watching BU football in Baylor Stadium in the early-1960's, an 8-4 or 9-3 season with a bowl game is a wonderful thing. Support the kids and cheer their development. We could be Tech or Vanderbilt or Rice or UNT and just have "Welcome" on the front of our jerseys.

BU Football will be back in very, very short order.
No, we didn't lose two complete recruiting classes.
Yes, Rhule will get Baylor back to winning football.
define winning....10-2? 9-3? 6-6?
9-plus wins.
He'll be able to win at the level of Kansas State at a minimum.
lol, ok...you base that on absolutely nothing except a mere guess. When will this happen? 2020? 2025?
It is not a "mere guess," it is an expectation based on what his past performance has been and what he done so far in recruiting. He'll need to adapt to the Big 12 offenses if he wants to win more--much like Patterson did.
Branch155
How long do you want to ignore this user?
P
Great first step. Now, if we can add some pass routes that aren't either at the LOS or 30+ yards downfield, like slants or out routes, I'll be a happy man.
Branch155
How long do you want to ignore this user?
P
CoachHBU2008 said:



Easy. He'll be able to do with KState does at minimum. Upside is he can potentially make us playoff contenders if his transition to a hybrid pro style attack comes to fruition. Time will tell. I'm willing to give him a shot.

We need size and talent at the end of the day. The reason why he doesn't want to scrap the pro style attack is because he believes this is what is going to bring in Bama and USC style talent. It could very well be the quickest way to replenish the team, but we're going to have to start winning games or at least be competitive in big games this season.

I understand the infatuation about a spread attack, but not just anyone can run it. Not all spreads are the same. Truthfully the reason why we were so good at it was because of Briles and the attitude and confidence he brought with it. He just instilled it in the players.

It's not the offensive style that's the problem. It's the lack of confidence in the players. We need to build them back up and have their backs. They've been through a lot.

But let's keep things in perspective. How many teams in the Big XII run a great uptempo spread attack. Probably 3 in OU, OSU and Tech. Not sold on Texas yet and Hermans version of it is not uptempo and heavy on run game. So the idea that we must be an uptempo spread offense is not quite accurate. Coaches need to be who they are and run what they are confident in running.

I think the thing that Rhule messed up in was not starting Zach from the jump and just doing what he knows best. Trying to run 3 offenses is ridiculous. Run your pro style sets. Mesh plays from the old offense that players know and love and can confidently execute. Play fast. Play physical. Be creative. If you do that it doesn't matter if you're in gun or under center. That's a winning recipe.
Excellent points.

My question: Given the abysmal state of our defense, both scheme and personnel, is an up tempo offense really what we need (this year, at least)? It would seem that we need to minimize the amount of time our D spends on the field, especially against the likes of OU and OSU.
BearPa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
P
Wikstr9 said:

Hey No. Thule won't ever win more than 8 games in a season at Baylor. A 500 record is unacceptable.
Pay attention now....R H U L E.
See? Not so difficult.
BearPa
Ghostrider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
D. C. Bear said:

Mr. Goodbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mr. Goodbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

ScottH said:

This "experiment" shows why the 5th year graduate transfer is a questionable proposition. You cannot bring in a kid from another system with just 1 year left and expect the chemistry to develop in a manner equal to another, albeit younger, player that has extensive experience and chemistry with the team, as a whole.

It looks good on paper and good in theory; but, rarely works in application...esp. at the quarterback position where everything is dependent on chemistry, timing and real game experience.

BU has lost 2 complete recruiting classes and it will take the 2017 season to acclimate the guys on the field right now to playing at the D-1 level...coupled with another strong recruiting class. For those of us that started watching BU football in Baylor Stadium in the early-1960's, an 8-4 or 9-3 season with a bowl game is a wonderful thing. Support the kids and cheer their development. We could be Tech or Vanderbilt or Rice or UNT and just have "Welcome" on the front of our jerseys.

BU Football will be back in very, very short order.
No, we didn't lose two complete recruiting classes.
Yes, Rhule will get Baylor back to winning football.
define winning....10-2? 9-3? 6-6?
9-plus wins.
He'll be able to win at the level of Kansas State at a minimum.
lol, ok...you base that on absolutely nothing except a mere guess. When will this happen? 2020? 2025?
It is not a "mere guess," it is an expectation based on what his past performance has been and what he done so far in recruiting. He'll need to adapt to the Big 12 offenses if he wants to win more--much like Patterson did.
His past? He is a .500 coach and never coached in a major conf.
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
DoubleBearClaw said:

1. He should have been starting since Liberty.

But now I'm a bit torn since Rhule already pissed the season away, it might be better just to red shirt Smith.
Not possible, he's played in both games already
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
D. C. Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Mr. Goodbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mr. Goodbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mr. Goodbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

ScottH said:

This "experiment" shows why the 5th year graduate transfer is a questionable proposition. You cannot bring in a kid from another system with just 1 year left and expect the chemistry to develop in a manner equal to another, albeit younger, player that has extensive experience and chemistry with the team, as a whole.

It looks good on paper and good in theory; but, rarely works in application...esp. at the quarterback position where everything is dependent on chemistry, timing and real game experience.

BU has lost 2 complete recruiting classes and it will take the 2017 season to acclimate the guys on the field right now to playing at the D-1 level...coupled with another strong recruiting class. For those of us that started watching BU football in Baylor Stadium in the early-1960's, an 8-4 or 9-3 season with a bowl game is a wonderful thing. Support the kids and cheer their development. We could be Tech or Vanderbilt or Rice or UNT and just have "Welcome" on the front of our jerseys.

BU Football will be back in very, very short order.
No, we didn't lose two complete recruiting classes.
Yes, Rhule will get Baylor back to winning football.
define winning....10-2? 9-3? 6-6?
9-plus wins.
He'll be able to win at the level of Kansas State at a minimum.
lol, ok...you base that on absolutely nothing except a mere guess. When will this happen? 2020? 2025?
It is not a "mere guess," it is an expectation based on what his past performance has been and what he done so far in recruiting. He'll need to adapt to the Big 12 offenses if he wants to win more--much like Patterson did.
His past? He is a .500 coach and never coached in a major conf.


He installed a system in his previous position that, competing agaist teams on that level, won 10 games in back-to-back seasons, including winning that conference.
Page 1 of 2
×
Verify your student status
See Membership Benefits >