Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Football

Athlon Sports: Baylor job ranked in bottom half of Big 12

May 21, 2019
6,072

Try SicEm365 Premium 3 months for $13!

Athlon Sports recently began their run of daily irrelevant articles ranking a variety of categories on the national and local level in the college football world. They mean absolutely nothing, but they are at least interesting to look at. 

On May 8, Athlon Sports merged their conference rankings from around the country to create a list ranking the 130 college jobs.  Below is how they ranked the Baylor job and how it stacked up against the rest of the country.


Nationally: 42. Baylor; Big 12: 7. Baylor

Waco is a bit remote, but its location in the middle of Texas means you have access to players in Dallas and Houston, two of the biggest cities in the nation. Winning consistently has been a tough task, but the right coach can get it done at Baylor. Having a new stadium doesn’t hurt, either. 


While this ranking will seem low to Baylor fans, without commitments to the football program over the last 10 years this ranking could have still be considerably lower. Baylor recently opened brand new McLane Stadium, the BANC (nutrition center) and are currently raising funds for a new football operations facility located directly on the Brazos River. 

Here is how Athlon Sports ranked the rest of the Big 12:

  1. Texas
  2. Oklahoma
  3. Oklahoma State
  4. West Virginia
  5. Texas Tech
  6. TCU
  7. Baylor
  8. Iowa State
  9. Kansas State
  10. Kansas
Discussion from...

Athlon Sports: Baylor job ranked in bottom half of Big 12

CNC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Waco is a bit remote, but its location in the middle of Texas means you have access to players in Dallas and Houston, two of the biggest cities in the nation. Winning consistently has been a tough task, but the right coach can get it done at Baylor. Having a new stadium doesn't hurt, either.

The article lost me with the first sentence.

Waco is actually perfectly located with 97% of the state's top talent coming from DFW, Houston area, and East Texas.

Then the "biggest cities thing". If being in a big city or an exciting city is so importnat, then why are the following schools not more powerful or in P5 conference: Rice, Houston, SMU, San Diego State, UNLV, and Hawaii. There isn't a more beautiful campus around than Pepperdine (too small for FB?).

This Waco stuff being small and being remote is complete garbage.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CNC said:

Quote:

Waco is a bit remote, but its location in the middle of Texas means you have access to players in Dallas and Houston, two of the biggest cities in the nation. Winning consistently has been a tough task, but the right coach can get it done at Baylor. Having a new stadium doesn't hurt, either.

The article lost me with the first sentence.

Waco is actually perfectly located with 97% of the state's top talent coming from DFW, Houston area, and East Texas.

Then the "biggest cities thing". If being in a big city or an exciting city is so importnat, then why are the following schools not more powerful or in P5 conference: Rice, Houston, SMU, San Diego State, UNLV, and Hawaii. There isn't a more beautiful campus around than Pepperdine (too small for FB?).

This Waco stuff being small and being remote is complete garbage.

Sports journalists hold the distinction of being the laziest, least-educated members of their field. I wouldn't get worked up about it.
vanillabryce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Baylor has more B12 championships in the last 10 years than any team ranked above them besides Oklahoma.

Grizz Air
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trying to be as objective as possible, putting BU around #40 is not too unreasonable. What is unreasonable, however, is putting us behind tceh,okie lite, coal aggy, and the toads.
Baylor3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have any of y'all ever been tom Stillwater? Waco is a futuristic metropolis compared to that place. It may as well be in the middle of
Kansas or North Dakota but not 1% as pretty
DoubleBearClaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
^^^^ I second
Sent from hybrid satellite phone.
BellCountyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Living in Austin is waaay overrated.
vanillabryce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've never been to Ames or Manhattan, but it's hard to imagine they could be any worse than Stillwater.

That place is a **** hole.

Eskimo Joe's, their famous restaurant is garbage.
EatMoreSalmon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2016 says it's no...
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
vanillabryce said:

I've never been to Ames or Manhattan, but it's hard to imagine they could be any worse than Stillwater.

That place is a **** hole.

Eskimo Joe's, their famous restaurant is garbage.
I've been to all three. Each has their areas of interest and nothing more.
ABC BEAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BarleyMcDougal said:

CNC said:

Quote:

Waco is a bit remote, but its location in the middle of Texas means you have access to players in Dallas and Houston, two of the biggest cities in the nation. Winning consistently has been a tough task, but the right coach can get it done at Baylor. Having a new stadium doesn't hurt, either.

The article lost me with the first sentence.

Waco is actually perfectly located with 97% of the state's top talent coming from DFW, Houston area, and East Texas.

Then the "biggest cities thing". If being in a big city or an exciting city is so importnat, then why are the following schools not more powerful or in P5 conference: Rice, Houston, SMU, San Diego State, UNLV, and Hawaii. There isn't a more beautiful campus around than Pepperdine (too small for FB?).

This Waco stuff being small and being remote is complete garbage.

Sports journalists hold the distinction of being the laziest, least-educated members of their field. I wouldn't get worked up about it.
True, but they have a fine eye for cheerleader talent. That's the ranking that I'm waiting for.
ABC BEAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Baylor3216 said:

Have any of y'all ever been to Stillwater?
Ahem.....it's pronounced Stoolwater.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is SHOCKING to me! I cannot imagine why any major college football coach would not consider Baylor a dream job destination! Especially with such strong regent support and leadership.
We are an institution of Women's Basketball.
Bear_77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They're all **** outside Asstin and Norman.
Redbrickbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?


Real ranking:

[ol]
  • Oklahoma- more national titles than Texas and you don't have to deal with LHN hanging around your neck. Leadership only cares about winning at football....and will break every rule to win.
  • Texas- big dog in a big state. Leadership gets complacent
  • West Virginia- rabid fans, control their own state, easy access to Ohio and Pennsylvania recruiting.
  • Oklahoma State- bad location but good fans and at least one big money donor.
  • TCU- their leaders care about winning and they are in the metro plex.
  • Baylor- terrible Regents and leaders, decent town with a good central location.
  • Texas Tech- middle of no where, never won an unshared major conference title.
  • Kansa State- Snyder proved you can win titles there.....loyal fans.....good facilities.
  • [/ol] 9. Iowa State- Ames sucks, have not won a conference title since 1912
    10. Kansas- will always care more about basketball than football.
    Page 1 of 1
     
    ×
    Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.