Temple gets a new Meta ( Facebook) Data Center.

1,123 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by avensis
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well Done! https://www.kwtx.com/2022/03/31/facebook-parent-company-invest-800-million-central-texas/
BellCountyBear
The corruption in Temple is about as bad as most big cities.
Bexar Pitts
BellCountyBear said:

The corruption in Temple is about as bad as most big cities.
I've never lived in Temple, so I can't really address any issues of "corruption" in the City. Just on it's face, this sure looks like a great "get" for their Economic Development Corp.
Stranger
what are they gonna make or sell in that building?
I'm a Bearbacker
Bexar Pitts
Stranger said:

Money :-) Stranger, it's just the "future center of commerce and information technology" business model that our Country has been moving toward for decades..The old days ( which I proudly was a member of) mantra of making and selling "better widgets" in the U.S.A. has, for the most part, moved on. I don't like it , but it seems to be where we are. How many times have we said.."We don't make anything here anymore." Cheap foreign labor and "globalized" production has kicked our collective asses and has been coming home to roost for years. I'll pay a little more and buy American made (if possible), but that has become increasingly harder to do. I applaud the American businesses that are now attemptng to bring manufacturing back home, and hope and pray that they have some measure of success.
Stranger
Bexar Pitts said:

Stranger said:

Money :-) Stranger, it's just the "future center of commerce and information technology" business model that our Country has been moving toward for decades..The old days ( which I proudly was a member of) mantra of making and selling "better widgets" in the U.S.A. has, for the most part, moved on. I don't like it , but it seems to be where we are. How many times have we said.."We don't make anything here anymore." Cheap foreign labor and "globalized" production has kicked our collective asses and has been coming home to roost for years. I'll pay a little more and buy American made (if possible), but that has become increasingly harder to do. I applaud the American businesses that are now attemptng to bring manufacturing back home, and hope and pray that they have some measure of success.

so they're not making anything tangible.
I'm a Bearbacker
Bexar Pitts
Stranger said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Stranger said:

so they're not making anything tangible.
Not if "tangible" means "it hurts if you drop it on your foot." But they are creating well paying construction jobs, permanent employment for many, contrubuting money to the improvement of the infrastrucure of the City ( particularly in the water system infrastructure) , and hopefully raising the income levels of the citizens who work there. With the huge computer systems that will be in place, they obviously will use large amounts of energy..That could be problematic to our already strained power grid, but I'm reading they have "plans" to address that situation. I hope they succeed in that effort...i can only wish them well..we need all the good paying jobs we can get..
avensis
I find it interesting, thanks for the info.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.