Houston Becoming Phoenix 100 degree days

1,425 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by william
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Predicted 104 degrees today. Many days over 100.
Bexar Pitts
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Predicted 104 degrees today. Many days over 100.
Today and tomorrow are "predicted" to be the hottest down there..always subject to change...Hope that old power grid holds up..so far it's been a very pleasant surprise how well it's done..(Don't want to start talking about a no hitter in 7th inning) :-) Waco starts outside water use rationing on Wed 13th...Lake Waco is dropping pretty fast, as lots of surrounding communities use our water..
saabing bear
Back in '90 our church had people flying from Phoenix but they were delayed due to heat. It reached 122 degrees and the planes had only been tested up to 120 so they didn't know what would happen over that.
fubar
Houston at 100 is more miserable than Phoenix is at 120.
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
Aliceinbubbleland
Total myth. If it's 100 degrees in my oven is freaking hot as hell and no humidity.
fubar
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Total myth. If it's 100 degrees in my oven is freaking hot as hell and no humidity.
I've been in both. Not a myth at all.
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
bularry
all I know is yesterday in Houston was I think the hottest day I've ever experienced. it was just unbearably hot outside. I think it hit 104? crazy. took a very short walk about 3:30 to grab a beer and watch the rest of the astros at a nearby spot. about killed me.
Aliceinbubbleland
This stretch of misery has to end, right, without burning up in one big flame?
KOKQB70
107 in San Antone today, ouch.
Mitch Henessey
I grew up in Phoenix. I'd take 115 in Phoenix over 90 in Houston every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Bexar Pitts
KOKQB70 said:

107 in San Antone today, ouch.
Waco hit 109 Sunday..107 today..Mucho Caliente!
Aliceinbubbleland
Wind power -- a key source of electricity in Texas -- is being sidelined just when the Lone Star State needs it most, with turbines generating less than a 10th of what they're capable of.

A scorching heat wave is pushing the Texas grid to the brink. Power demand is surging as people crank up air conditioners. But meanwhile, wind speeds have fallen to extremely low levels, and that means the state's fleet of turbines is at just 8% of their potential output.

Texas may be America's oil and gas hub, but it's also long been the country's biggest wind-powered state. The renewable energy source has become highly politicized: Some critics blamed frozen wind turbines for the Texas grid's failure during a deadly winter storm last year, even though disruptions at plants powered by natural gas were the bigger culprit.

Depressed wind power during heat waves isn't a new phenomenon. Powerful high-pressure systems that cause intense heat often squelch wind production -- just when more power is needed to meet higher electricity demand. The mass of air overhead stifles wind near the surface, until the mass moves elsewhere.

Source: Bloomberg
OsoCoreyell
Energy transition is pretty dumb. It has become entangled in politics in the worst way, meaning no one is allowed to talk about it or develop a strategy around it in a rational way.

Any rational analysis shows that it is just not ready for prime time - it is, currently, at best, an expensive generation source with serious shortcomings in terms of demand availability. It can be a small and useful part of an overall strategy, but it simply cannot be the main source based on present or even projected technology.

Here's a sentence you won't see very often - It appears that France has gotten this just right.
william
b,b,b,b, but, it's a dry heat*.

- KKM

* compared to guam.

D!
Dale?
Doc Holliday
115 in parts of DFW today!
BaylorGuy314
OsoCoreyell said:

Energy transition is pretty dumb. It has become entangled in politics in the worst way, meaning no one is allowed to talk about it or develop a strategy around it in a rational way.

Any rational analysis shows that it is just not ready for prime time - it is, currently, at best, an expensive generation source with serious shortcomings in terms of demand availability. It can be a small and useful part of an overall strategy, but it simply cannot be the main source based on present or even projected technology.

Here's a sentence you won't see very often - It appears that France has gotten this just right.

Repeat after me: diversify, diversify, diversify

Clearly you already know this (hence, your post) but it is absolutely amazing how anyone expects a magic bullet here.

We need:
nuclear
O&G
Wind
Solar

All have strengths and weaknesses but it'll take a generation of aggressive strategy to solve this issue- it's not something you fix in a few years. We can't go straight solar and wind right now - it's not reliable or efficient enough in a state that is growing rapidly. It's just not.

Nuclear and O&G solve the problem sooner and become the backstop for wind and solar as they improve reliability and efficiency.
william
Eeaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrhhhhhhlllllllllllllllllllllll
Dale?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.