Band of Brothers

789 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by RegentCoverup
BellCountyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For whatever reason I enjoy re-watching this series this time of year, every year.

Probably the best WW-2 docudrama ever made. Currahee!
RegentCoverup
If you're thinking of a tour of Normandy, let me know. I stayed at the Churchill Hotel in Bayeux and paid for a guide to drive my family and I around the sites for a few days.

It was well worth it, humbling, inspiring, educational. The list goes on and on. But the best thing was the generosity and camaraderie of the Normandy French population. It's a revenue source of course, but you could spend a few weeks exploring the invasion sites and still have plenty to see.

So much bravery in those men.
BellCountyBear
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

If you're thinking of a tour of Normandy, let me know. I stayed at the Churchill Hotel in Bayeux and paid for a guide to drive my family and I around the sites for a few days.

It was well worth it, humbling, inspiring, educational. The list goes on and on. But the best thing was the generosity and camaraderie of the Normandy French population. It's a revenue source of course, but you could spend a few weeks exploring the invasion sites and still have plenty to see.

It's very much on my bucket list! Did you do a group tour or just on your own?
RegentCoverup
BellCountyBear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

It's very much on my bucket list! Did you do a group tour or just on your own?
I paid for my own flight and hotel. I stayed at the Churchill in Bayeux, but after doing that, I think the smart money is more mobile.

On Rick Steves recommendations, there are a handful of two star hotels in the area, some at Arromanches and others on the coast itself, I think you spend two nights in Bayeux and then visit small hotels throughout Normandy
Buses are a matter of preference. I like to view at my own pace. So I paid for a personal guide,

Well worth it. But more expensive, if you can get together a small group, you could split it.
We can talk more via DM, but my generic advice is to get to Bayeux and use that as a base. There is a lot to see in Bayeux. But after that you need a guide, a small map and a car. There are a lot of excellent guides. I was very happy with mine. Happy to share her name. There are some British guides as well..

It's seriously hedgerow after hedgerow. But there is a lot of stuff to seeā€¦.
RegentCoverup
There are other companies I can recommend, but these guys were good. Toured backroads in a restored Willys jeep.

https://goldbeachcompany.com/gold-beach-company/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.