Heading to Spain (Madrid)

983 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by RegentCoverup
Married A Horn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So - my sophomore son that got called up to varsity at Euless Trinity (safety) is successful at soccer. He plays at a national level and at our national league games in Orlando two weeks ago, some Spanish pro scouts were at his game. He did well and they approached me after he scored and asked if he would come to Madrid for 10 days to practice at the Real Madrid facilities. So on top of our Italy trip in March to play Juventus and ACMilan, we are now headed to Madrid next November to play Real Madrid and Atletica Madrid.

I dont think my teacher wife will get to go on this trip - not enough days off of work available.

What to do in Spain? I dont know Madrid hardly at all.

(Also - He is currently being considered to go to Dortmund and train with BVB as well. Should find that out soon.)

Our dream and everything we've worked for is for him to play football at Baylor. But this soccer stuff may derail it ...
RegentCoverup
I would choose soccer over football for one reason, I think the ability to fall back to a degree is better and I think the injuries are fewer across the board, particularly CTE. A good person to ask is Alex Molano, who lives near you and played for Dinamo Zagreb. Alex's Dad Willie Molano started DFW Tejanos but I think he sold it. He left before graduating at Colleyville Heritage and went to HS while playing in Europe.

I think we've overrated the American HS diploma by miles, you can get a diploma in a lot of ways and come back to a US university and do just fine.

Madrid is a fairly tame large city. My wife and I were married there when I worked in Europe. It's the cheaper end of Europe for sure. The Plaza Mayor is the central square so to speak. Take a look at that as a central guide point in finding a place to stay. Of course you'll want to stay near the Real Madrid training facility, but the Plaza is where the action is. I'll share the neighborhood where I home based.

Just getting that invite is tremendous, you'd be crazy to turn that down. Good luck!
Wrecks Quan Dough
Daniel is traveling tonight on a plane
I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
And I can see Daniel waving goodbye
Oh it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes

They say Spain is pretty though I've never been
And Daniel says it's the best place that he's ever seen
He should know, he's been there enough
Oh I miss Daniel, oh I miss him so much, oh
Married A Horn
Where are the Real Madrid training facilities?

The interesting thing is that our exchange student for next year is from Madrid. We dont have contact with her yet, but should in a couple of months (well before we go). She lives west of the city center.
RegentCoverup
Married A Horn said:

Where are the Real Madrid training facilities?

The interesting thing is that our exchange student for next year is from Madrid. We dont have contact with her yet, but should in a couple of months (well before we go). She lives west of the city center.
Right by the airport. I'm sure it's a fly in, stay at the close hotel, fly out sorta deal. It's one of the two circles, I forget which.

They leveraged the hell out of their club, so spending money on recruits is standard. They aren't starving.
https://www.realmadrid.com/en/about-real-madrid/club/ciudad-real-madrid/training-facilities

Fat Daddy
Well I've never been to Spain
But I kind of like their music…

Married A Horn
Her family is in Boadilla del Monte. Out west of town.
RegentCoverup
Married A Horn said:

Her family is in Boadilla del Monte. Out west of town.
Even in a large city, Spaniards are the most generous and trusting people you will meet in Europe. Sunshine helps. But they just don't seem to have a chip on their shoulder while retaining a sense of pride. Their idea of a thug is probably a Ricky Martin sized teenager with a Sean Penn scowl. Not exactly intimidating.

I stay in the neighborhood near the Plaza Santa Ana. On my first trip years ago, I was really just hitting up favorite drinking spots of Ernest Hemingway, and wanted to drink at the Cafe Aleman. As fate would have it, it's still an excellent spot. Very much the relaxed pace, old world Spain with professional wait staff and narrow streets. It's also close to the Prado Museum.

Weirdly enough, the collection of Spanish Art at the Meadows Museum in Dallas(SMU) is similar and impressive. Do yourself a favor and see it first, as a reference point perhaps. It will warm you up to the Prado museum. It's rare these days, but the personality of Spain is alive and well in it's art and the Prado is a good starting point.

But see the Cafe Aleman if you can. They've kept photos of Hemingway on the walls. The wait staff is almost elderly and the food is worth it. Plus the view of the Plaza is worth a few hours. Or days.

The city is...sprawling. And flea markets are cool if you can find one. But taxes, the economy, the Euro, I remember thinking this whole damned town is one big black market. I smoked Cuban cigars and drank rum until I realized I was gaining weight, hahah!

But I recovered to discover the excellent wine and jamon! . Make that a high priority. Their food is worth the trip alone. I brought back a lot of trinkets and stuff years ago, but my most memorable item was a Spanish cookbook. I still use it at least once a month, especially now that saffron is easier to obtain. In particular, soups, shaved ham, tortilla espanola, are staples. You can live quite well for cheap in Spain but outside of futbol, you can forget a career. Only the land wealthy and working expats seem to live well.

There are sort of sensitive, almost taboo topics to avoid when meeting Spaniards. No Inquisition, no Franco. In fact, the church itself is largely viewed as corrupt, as the Priests were silent throughout much of the past century. Or outright involved in murder. Their Episcopal(Reformed) Church and the Anglicans were my original guides. They sit outside the history, I owe them beyond measure.

I'm adventurous when I travel Europe and I will do more work there again. But the truth is, Spain is most like Texas. Sunshine, nice people, relaxed. I'll visit all the others, but it's Spain that you'll probably like the most.

And did I mention, cheap?

Ask her families opinions on their country, generic topics, etc. They'll tell you plenty.
Married A Horn
I will. I'll see what religion they are and report back before I get into anything serious on that front.
RegentCoverup
With Spain, it's easy to forget that their painful history is fairly recent.

I've found Germans open and honest about the past, but I let them drive that conversation. Most WW2 have long passed on.

But Spaniards? There have been things that were concluded, but not resolved. And of course, religion is a sensitive a topic in any country.

And that's BEFORE you get to Franco and his
regime.

https://english.elpais.com/elpais/2015/11/20/inenglish/1448016555_924233.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.