Things You Didn't Do At Baylor Because You Were An Idiot

2,474 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by HunterBear
MidCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here's my conceit: we all have stories we tell about the crazy things we did in college…sometimes to show how cool/reckless we were, others to illustrate our lack of critical thinking skills at the time. But what about the things we DIDN'T do because we were idiots? Maybe I'm the only one with such a list. As a backdrop, I was pretty involved in campus life, cared a lot about and went to the football and basketball games, dated fairly regularly, etc. And I was a student in the mid to late 80s. Also, this is NOT a list of things I'm glad I didn't do (like Sing). Anyway, here's my list…

1. Never did the Baylor line as a freshman because I liked a girl who was not a freshman and I wanted to hang with an "older" crowd;
2. Didn't go to hear about the immortal 10 during Welcome Week. The one event I skipped;
3. Never got a Dr Pepper float. Not of great appeal to me (prefer each separately), but still…they were free;
4. Never went to George's, Cupps, Kitok's, or Healthcamp. Actually assumed the latter was a health food place and don't recall ever talking to anyone about it.

Anyone else with a similar idiot list?
BellCountyBear
Nope. You are a solitary idiot. Congrats!
ABC BEAR
1A: Not staying to finish my degree
1B: The girl I left behind (Sigh)
william
I hope each and everyone here had the chance to enjoy the heck out of many a Steak Night.

- KKM

Dale?
Redbrickbear
MidCityBear said:

Here's my conceit: we all have stories we tell about the crazy things we did in college…sometimes to show how cool/reckless we were, others to illustrate our lack of critical thinking skills at the time. But what about the things we DIDN'T do because we were idiots? Maybe I'm the only one with such a list. As a backdrop, I was pretty involved in campus life, cared a lot about and went to the football and basketball games, dated fairly regularly, etc. And I was a student in the mid to late 80s. Also, this is NOT a list of things I'm glad I didn't do (like Sing). Anyway, here's my list…

1. Never did the Baylor line as a freshman because I liked a girl who was not a freshman and I wanted to hang with an "older" crowd;
2. Didn't go to hear about the immortal 10 during Welcome Week. The one event I skipped;
3. Never got a Dr Pepper float. Not of great appeal to me (prefer each separately), but still…they were free;
4. Never went to George's, Cupps, Kitok's, or Healthcamp. Actually assumed the latter was a health food place and don't recall ever talking to anyone about it.

Wow that is pretty crazy.

Any reason you never went to one of those places to eat?
whitetrash
william said:

I hope each and everyone here had the chance to enjoy the heck out of many a Steak Night.

- KKM

I guess one could regret not missing out on Steak Night. I could have resoled several pairs of boots with the tough steaks served. Then again, I would have missed the one in fall 1980 in Collins Cafeteria when they tried to create "atmosphere" by serving steak night by candlelight. A few seconds after we noticed a funny acrid smell did we hear the screams of the girl who got to close to a candle and caught her hair on fire (it merely singed on the tips).

Two obscure regrets:

1. I missed Herb Reynolds' inauguration my sophomore year. I had just pledged, was exhausted that day, and chose to stay in my apartment and take a nap instead of wandering over to Waco Hall for the festivities.

2. Also in Fall 1980 they advertised an event in the SUB where they had individual original cels from Warner Brothers cartoons for sale (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc.). I think they were going for $20-30 or so. Nowadays they sell for hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
saabing bear
Never figured what the heck I wanted to do when I graduated.
Mitch Henessey
Never went cliff jumping at Lake Whitney.

Didn't spend enough time exploring Cameron Park.

Got into cycling, but never brought my road bike to campus because I was too concerned with looking "uncool" in spandex while riding.

Never went to Scruff's. (I made up for this one many times as a recent graduate.)

Didn't go to the stargazing events my Astronomy 105 course put on out in the surrounding countryside. I guess I decided to value sleep on those three nights, and only those three nights.

Didn't develop solid study habits. This bit me in the ass when I went to graduate school.
Golem
Never went to Sonny's BYOB.
TenBears
I did two Sings, one day of Welcome Week, one Immortal Ten thing (for some reason carrying an axe handle), one Dr Pepper float hour and the thing in Freshman year where you asked the gals to throw their underwear to you. Each was memorable and I'm glad I did them!
Fat Daddy
Never took a history class with Mr Reed or Dr Vardeman.

Never ate at Nick's.

Never took studying seriously… until it was to late!

Not paying attention or caring about some of the great Chapel speaker we had in the mid-70's…. We had some big time politicians, leaders and influencers … and I didn't care or pay attention.

Not getting Mickey Mantle's autograph when he was representing some insurance company and presenting the medals at a track meet. Instead, we stood there and talked about him being a washed up, alcoholic has-been.
Fat Daddy
Mitch Henessey said:

Got into cycling, but never brought my road bike to campus because I was too concerned with looking "uncool" in spandex while riding.

Never went to Scruff's. (I made up for this one many times as a recent graduate.)

Didn't go to the stargazing events my Astronomy 105 course put on out in the surrounding countryside. I guess I decided to value sleep on those three nights, and only those three nights.

Didn't develop solid study habits. This bit me in the ass when I went to graduate school.

The cliff jumping was ok… but we were there one time and some punk kids started yelling at us to dive….so I did! I should have clasped my hands together above my head ..but didn't … so nothing broke the water except my skull …. And I thought I had split it open! Had a headache for a day!
MidCityBear
Redbrickbear said:

MidCityBear said:

Wow that is pretty crazy.

Any reason you never went to one of those places to eat?

I really did think Healthcamp served health food. I thought George's was a bar, an incentive after I graduated but not so much when I was an undergraduate. As for the other places, I have no idea why I never went.
Nguyen One Soon
Fat Daddy said:

Not getting Mickey Mantle's autograph when he was representing some insurance company and presenting the medals at a track meet. Instead, we stood there and talked about him being a washed up, alcoholic has-been.
Would bet the insurance company was American General. My agent (and good friend) at the time worked for them through Charlie Pack. I went by to see him one day and he told me to go with him to Charlie's office. I did, and there was my boyhood hero, the Mick himself, in the office talking to Charlie.
whitetrash
Fat Daddy said:

I got his autograph. Stood in line at an insurance agent's office out on Sanger on a Saturday morning in about 1975 or so (I was 12). By that age I had met several other famous sports celebrities who had come to town (John Wooden, Roger Staubach and a few other Cowboys, etc) who were all warm and gracious to a kid seeking an autograph, but all I remember was how surly Mantle was at 10 in the morning. Probably was already drunk.
Bexar Pitts
Just FWIW, I did consider a SuperHealthburger, fries, and a shake to be health food..and Georges was dayum sure a bar..until the "eaters" started intruding into our playpen. Wallace and Lucille could've verified that.
deemus
Fat Daddy said:

Mitch Henessey said:

The cliff jumping was ok… but we were there one time and some punk kids started yelling at us to dive….so I did! I should have clasped my hands together above my head ..but didn't … so nothing broke the water except my skull …. And I thought I had split it open! Had a headache for a day!

Arms and hands forming a V above your head. Did it at least a dozen times.

Pro tip: Be sure to tie your trunks on tight.
Edmond Bear
I was full-on Baylor and did all of the Baylor things.

My regret is not partying enough. Probably missed some good times.

I met a girl my sophomore year and dated her through college. She was a nice girl and not into having as much fun as I liked.

I probably missed out on some good times. But, we've been married for almost 30 years.

SSadler
I declined membership in NOZE and Student Foundation. Some of my best friends and roommates populated both.

I thought my Chamber membership was adequate. Make no mistake, Chamber was the best thing that ever happened to me as far as BU is concerned, but augmenting it with either of the two coulda woulda been good stuff.
Fat Daddy
SSadler said:

I declined membership in NOZE and Student Foundation. Some of my best friends and roommates populated both.

I thought my Chamber membership was adequate. Make no mistake, Chamber was the best thing that ever happened to me as far as BU is concerned, but augmenting it with either of the two coulda woulda been good stuff.

Our Chamber isn't the Chamber of today….. very thankful for what we experienced…. It did a lot for me!
Stefano DiMera
Dude ..this is eerie..you could be me .I also was on the mid to late 80s and my list is exactly same except I went to Kitoks and George's.
HunterBear
Well, MCB, you didn't mention never going to the Chicken Shack, so maybe there's some small hope of redemption for you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.