Fast dinners at home

1,931 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Edmond Bear
BaylorGuy314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are at that stage of life where our kids are insanely overcommitted.

Four nights a week (M-THUR) I have to leave office at 445 to be home by 5 to leave at 515 for a sports practice that starts between 545-6. They end around 745-8 and by the time I get home, it's 815-845 (depending on the night). Then it's rush the kids thru bedtime routine so they are actually in bed between 845-915.

Both of my kids have a practice each night so I'm going one direction, wife is going the other. My youngest plays select softball and select soccer. My oldest plays select soccer and volleyball. This will last for the next 3 months (up until Thanksgiving or so) before it slows down a bit and then ramps up again for about 3-4 months in the spring.

Right now, the only weeknight where we (usually) have nothing is Friday nights.

My wife is frustrated because she has no time to cook. She gets off work at 3 to be at kids schools by 330 and isn't home until after 4 which leaves less than an hour to get them unpacked from school, ready for the next day of school, make sure they are changed and have all their gear for practice, and put some food in them because we won't be home until nearly 9.

Who else has gone thru this stage of life and what did you do? I have suggested crock pot recipes but we live out in the country a bit and we get regular power flickering. Not enough to do any damage but just enough to reset clocks, etc, regularly. Which makes relying on a crock pot hard unless I put it on a battery backup.

To be blunt, I'm trying to find ways to help with dinner when she is on very limited time. She's feeling like a failure on that front which is dumb (but I get it) so I need ideas. Has to be something we can almost prep the night before and/or start in the AM before work.

Help?
drahthaar
Tough gig, no doubt.
Be grateful you can get off work at 4:45 and 3. My bride and I never had that option.
william
www.arbys.com
POE.
BaylorGuy314
drahthaar said:

Tough gig, no doubt.
Be grateful you can get off work at 4:45 and 3. My bride and I never had that option.
Super thankful. We obviously wouldn't be able to make the commitments without it.

The reality is that wife is working til midnight or 1AM each night during busy season to compensate. And I put in at least an hour post-9PM every night to help adjust. But the flex is still huge.

BaylorGuy314
william said:

www.arbys.com
I don't have time to sit on the toilet for an hour every day, william.
SMack
Casseroles (prepared in advance, perhaps on weekends), precut salads in bags, and frozen vegetables you can heat in the microwave can be staples.

Anything that can be eaten raw (fruits and vegetables) usually doesn't take very long to chop up white waiting for the other stuff to heat.

Cleanup is tough, so you have to get the kiddos in the habit of washing dishes and wiping things down after dinner.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Ramen noodles used to be awesome. Cheap and easy! Just nuke in the microwave for 90 seconds. Probably not the healthiest choice but you can change gears when the family grows up a little and the craziness calms down.

Leftovers are awesome. Especially food from the grill. Cook a little extra. You can simply microwave and heat up the next day or two.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
90sBear
Taco Soup
Brown 1 pound ground round. Add 1 package taco seasoning and 1 package ranch salad dressing mix.

Once done add to a pot with:
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn drained

Simmer a bit. Done in 20 minutes max. If you have extra time, goes great with cornbread.

Like more meat? Add it. Different kind of beans? Add them. It's just an easy base to work around.
4th and Inches
90sBear said:

Taco Soup
Brown 1 pound ground round. Add 1 package taco seasoning and 1 package ranch salad dressing mix.

2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn drained

Simmer a bit. Done in 20 minutes max. If you have extra time, goes great with cornbread.

Like more meat? Add it. Different kind of beans? Add them. It's just an easy base to work around.
make ib sunday and reheat plus the flavor blends better on second day.

Dont be afraid to get creative and remember it is easier to reheat than cook

Ideas:
Tortilla rolls with sliced meat and cheese and chips

Pre rolled Tortillas with beans and cheese and uncle bens spanish rice packet (90 sec)

Chef salad- use pre chopped salad kits

Chef salad in a tortilla wrap

Pre cooked baked potatoes warmed up in microwave with meat and cheese etc

Pre cooked bacon warmed up, scrambled eggs and cheese in tortillas

Beans and rice- make beans over the weekend and make rice ahead of time or get the 1 minute rice cups or 90 sec microwave rice bags

Cereal for dinner.

Air fry chicken nuggets and fries
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
drahthaar
BaylorGuy314 said:

drahthaar said:

Tough gig, no doubt.
Super thankful. We obviously wouldn't be able to make the commitments without it.

The reality is that wife is working til midnight or 1AM each night during busy season to compensate. And I put in at least an hour post-9PM every night to help adjust. But the flex is still huge.

For years, especially with busy children even thru high school years, we cooked a roast in crock pot, serving us for several days. Needless to say, it serves us longer today than it did with 5A band and football activities!

We'd "nuke" potatoes, carrots, broccoli, green beans etc. with that.
TechDawgMc
BaylorGuy314 said:

Four nights a week (M-THUR) I have to leave office at 445 to be home by 5 to leave at 515 for a sports practice that starts between 545-6. They end around 745-8 and by the time I get home, it's 815-845 (depending on the night). Then it's rush the kids thru bedtime routine so they are actually in bed between 845-915.

Both of my kids have a practice each night so I'm going one direction, wife is going the other. My youngest plays select softball and select soccer. My oldest plays select soccer and volleyball. This will last for the next 3 months (up until Thanksgiving or so) before it slows down a bit and then ramps up again for about 3-4 months in the spring.

My wife is frustrated because she has no time to cook. She gets off work at 3 to be at kids schools by 330 and isn't home until after 4 which leaves less than an hour to get them unpacked from school, ready for the next day of school, make sure they are changed and have all their gear for practice, and put some food in them because we won't be home until nearly 9.

Who else has gone thru this stage of life and what did you do? I have suggested crock pot recipes but we live out in the country a bit and we get regular power flickering. Not enough to do any damage but just enough to reset clocks, etc, regularly. Which makes relying on a crock pot hard unless I put it on a battery backup.

To be blunt, I'm trying to find ways to help with dinner when she is on very limited time. She's feeling like a failure on that front which is dumb (but I get it) so I need ideas. Has to be something we can almost prep the night before and/or start in the AM before work.

Help?

One thing I used to do was take about 2 hours on a Saturday and grill a bunch of stuff. Usually do some hamburgers, chicken, ribs, pork chops and then freeze a lot of it. Then you have meat cooked you just have to defrost. Can add frozen vegetables and have a quick meal.

The other direction is big pot meals. Soups, gumbo, etc. or casseroles that you can warm back up a time or two (depending on how much the kids eat). Spaghetti is an easy cook. I like to use the dry mixes (like Lawry's) for the sauce -- better than Ragu and a lot quicker than scratch (though it helps if you add a few spices).

I had to get out of the mode my family taught of you have to have multiple things at every meal. One pot meals can be very handy.
John Galt
90sBear said:

Taco Soup

2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn drained

I just did this and ate it 3 times this week. I saut onions with the meat and add chiles and jalapeños…like you said it can be modified to taste. I eat with tortilla chips and add cheese. Great idea and easy.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Tater tot casserole when it cools down a bit outside.
BUwolverine2012
in addition to the casseroles….

sheetpan dinners. prep veggies on sunday for the weeks sheetpans. buy shrimo, sausage, salmon and chicken at costco you can keep in freezer and put in fridge night before needed to thaw. keeping frozen veggies on hand when in a pinch is good too.

https://www.eatingwell.com/gallery/8003238/best-sheet-pan-dinners/
avensis
It's not easy I understand, personally I always try to find easy recipes to make on the internet.

Mini Militia App Lock
Wrecks Quan Dough
avensis said:

It's not easy I understand, personally I always try to find easy recipes to make on the internet
In A.D. 2101 War was Beginning

All your base,your base,base,base.
All your base,are belong to us

All your base,your base,base...

Edmond Bear
BaylorGuy314 said:

Help?

I don't know your life, your values, or your plan for your kids. So, I will step lightly.

You may start with the understanding that over commitment is not a required phase of life but is a choice that your family is making.

We required our kids to be involved in one thing each. But, also limited it to one thing at a time.

My personal story has been that this is way more effective than overcommitment.

Unstructured time to explore whatever interests them at the time may be more valuable than structured sports/music/whatever.

Today, we are finding that rest is just as important as activities. And, for a lot of kids burnout hurts them more as they get into later high school years than not enough practice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.