* * Young Baylor Guitarist Does Well for Himself

984 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The guitar is probably the most famous and recognizable musical instrument in existence. When asked why his guitar is named Trigger, Willie explains: "Roy Rogers had a horse named Trigger. I figured: "This is my horse!"

Willie Nelson bought his first Martin guitar sight unseen in 1969. He's remarked about how he remembers the circumstances of that first purchase. The Baldwin company gave him a Baldwin amp and classical electric guitar with a special three-cord stereo pickup. He busted that guitar pretty badly so he sent it to Shot Jackson in Nashville to get it fixed.

Shot called Willie back and said, 'I can't fix it. It's broke too bad.' So Willie asked what else he had around? Shot said he had a Martin up on the shelf for $750. Willie asked him if he could put that same Baldwin pickup in the Martin. Shot said he could and that's how Willie got it, unseen and right off the shelf.

When Willie got it he said he knew he had gotten something special. He just enjoyed sitting around in a room and playing it, writing on it, and most importantly, he just liked the sound of it. (Copy and Photo courtesy the Willie Nelson Museum)

Willie and Trigger when it was just a young colt
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
BTW - I run a fun Facebook page for Texas Music if you are so inclined. All sorts of goodies there from Stevie Ray to Willie to the newer songbirds... https://www.facebook.com/groups/MemoriesTexasMusic
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Stranger
Assassin said:

The guitar is probably the most famous and recognizable musical instrument in existence. When asked why his guitar is named Trigger, Willie explains: "Roy Rogers had a horse named Trigger. I figured: "This is my horse!"

Willie Nelson bought his first Martin guitar sight unseen in 1969. He's remarked about how he remembers the circumstances of that first purchase. The Baldwin company gave him a Baldwin amp and classical electric guitar with a special three-cord stereo pickup. He busted that guitar pretty badly so he sent it to Shot Jackson in Nashville to get it fixed.

Shot called Willie back and said, 'I can't fix it. It's broke too bad.' So Willie asked what else he had around? Shot said he had a Martin up on the shelf for $750. Willie asked him if he could put that same Baldwin pickup in the Martin. Shot said he could and that's how Willie got it, unseen and right off the shelf.

When Willie got it he said he knew he had gotten something special. He just enjoyed sitting around in a room and playing it, writing on it, and most importantly, he just liked the sound of it. (Copy and Photo courtesy the Willie Nelson Museum)

Willie and Trigger when it was just a young colt

he wasn't here long, but while at Baylor, Willie said he majored in dominoes.
I'm a Bearbacker
Knight Bear
Assassin said:

BTW - I run a fun Facebook page for Texas Music if you are so inclined. All sorts of goodies there from Stevie Ray to Willie to the newer songbirds... https://www.facebook.com/groups/MemoriesTexasMusic

Curious due to your history, did you ever run into someone named Stewart Ramser? He's an OLD (elementary school) friend of mine that I saw works in the Texss music industry.
Assassin
Knight Bear said:

Assassin said:

Curious due to your history, did you ever run into someone named Stewart Ramser? He's an OLD (elementary school) friend of mine that I saw works in the Texss music industry.
I dont know him personally. Kirby (Pecos) might. I know his webpage
Grumpy
I believe he was most interested in chemistry.
LIB,MR BEARS
Grumpy said:

I believe he was most interested in chemistry.
I thought it was horticulture
william
met the man uncts - I did mention Baylor - and maybe not in non ambiguously non-flattering way.

Anyway - he was nice.

- KKM

Hope he is doing better.

{ sipping coffee }

Go Bears!
Assassin

His sister Bobbie, his pianist since the early 70s. She passed away in 2022
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.