"Relearning" Golf

1,135 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by boognish_bear
TenBears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Played from college thru age 50 or so and got down to about a 13 HC. Would shoot an 82 one day and 102 the next. It drove me crazy so I quit and have been out of the game for 20 years. I am kind of missing it now. Any tips for relearning the swing from ground up. All I want to do now is to be able to knock it straight down the middle, and be in a position for a bogey on every hole. There seems to be a lot of info out there about short, compact, senior swings. Any advice?
LIB,MR BEARS
TenBears said:

Played from college thru age 50 or so and got down to about a 13 HC. Would shoot an 82 one day and 102 the next. It drove me crazy so I quit and have been out of the game for 20 years. I am kind of missing it now. Any tips for relearning the swing from ground up. All I want to do now is to be able to knock it straight down the middle, and be in a position for a bogey on every hole. There seems to be a lot of info out there about short, compact, senior swings. Any advice?

Don't blame golf for making you crazy. It started long before that.
tcbear
My main advice is to get new equipment. Of course no equipment can fix a terrible swing, but mediocre swings are much better with the new equipment. Super forgiving heads and lightweight, high quality shafts have made the game much easier for senior golfers.

Don't buy brand new stuff; I would buy last year's models that are going on sale now with the new models coming out.

MrGolfguy
Agree with getting newish stuff, 2 or 3 year old clubs have a boatload of 'tech' and should be reasonably priced. Also you don't need a full set, 8 to 10 clubs is fine. I'd recommend driver, a couple hybrids, 6 - pw, sw, putter. Good luck
73s de N4WJP
TenBears said:

Resist the urge to hit bucket after bucket at the range with your driver, hoping to hit one dead solid perfect. Go to the putting green and concentrate on your game there. Hitting that drive down the middle won't get you shooting under 100 when you three putt regularly.

I also suggest finding/buying a copy of Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book". It will do more for your game by working on it from between your ears than any new set of clubs.
Taras Bulba
I've played a fair amount of golf. That time would have been better spent repeatedly hitting myself with a shovel.
LIB,MR BEARS
MrGolfguy
That's just a baby; here's a real gator on a Florida golf course

Bexar Pitts
MrGolfguy said:

That's just a baby; here's a real gator on a Florida golf course

"Get next to it for perspective" You bet !
Doc Holliday
I'm a 4 handicap. Ask me anything!
LIB,MR BEARS
Doc Holliday said:

I'm a 4 handicap. Ask me anything!
fairway aversion is my handicap
boognish_bear
The Penick book suggested above is a great one. Another really good book is "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect." It's written by a renowned sports psychologist in the world of golf....Bob Rotella.

It came out in the early 2000s. My HS son who plays on the golf team read it 2 years ago and he's always referencing it and rereads portions of it before tournaments.

Also...invest in some lessons from a PGA pro. It'll be worth it. This would be a great time if you are restarting before you ingrain some bad habits.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.