Fatty Liver Changes

1,905 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by 4th and Inches
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who has dealt with it?

Meds?
Diet?
Exercise?

beardoc
Depends on the cause. Diabetes, diet, obesity, other meds, alcohol and family history all play a role. Cirrhosis from fatty liver is now a more common reason for liver transplant than alcohol or viral hepatitis.. Identify the root cause, address it. Obviously, some of these go hand in glove, Elevated serum lipids due to DM and weight are most common.
LIB,MR BEARS
beardoc said:

Depends on the cause. Diabetes, diet, obesity, other meds, alcohol and family history all play a role. Cirrhosis from fatty liver is now a more common reason for liver transplant than alcohol or viral hepatitis.. Identify the root cause, address it. Obviously, some of these go hand in glove, Elevated serum lipids due to DM and weight are most common.

I haven't seen my regular doctor yet. I was dealing with kidney stones over the weekend and it was noted on the CT scan.

I'm in between doctors as my long time family doc has now switched to concierge service.

As a guess, I'd say it's all about diet and obesity. I'm a non-drinker. I like my sweets. I'm 5'7" and 198lbs.
My dad had type II diabetes but never got to the point of requiring meds. He just made some major diet changes.
beardoc
If it it isn't to the point where your blood tests aren't abnormal, it's likely 100% reversible.
Tempus Edax Rerum
Get on Mounjaro or Ozempic
4th and Inches
Keto/low carb diet and Remove all processed foods from your life

Fasting is beneficial

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S258955592100032X
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
william
start w/ long duration mod intensity high frequent lite jogs / power walks - and eat leaner.

Almost no beer or booze or vino.

- KKM

Veggies - Whole grains -

Go Bears!
bularry
william said:

start w/ long duration mod intensity high frequent lite jogs / power walks - and eat leaner.

Almost no beer or booze or vino.

- KKM

Veggies - Whole grains -

vino is not going to be an issue here, unless it is being severely abused.

as others said, diet with reduced sugar and lean proteins will go a long ways to helping. Avoid a lot of processed foods, which means eat out less, and avoid the 'bad oils' which promote inflammation and impact digestion and insulin levels when eating.
Big12Bear
4th and Inches said:

Fasting is beneficial

This is great advice, along with the seed oil comment from another poster.

I would absolutely caution against leaning on Ozempic or the like. Lawsuits are already here.

Canola and "vegetable" oils are absolute garbage. I mean, really harmful. Even many olive oils are heavily processed. I mainly cook using Avocado Oil from Chosen Foods or Primal Kitchen, with the added benefit of a higher smoke point, along with butter, lard, ghee, grease. Chosen and Primal also do a good job with EVOO as well. Seed Oil Scout even has an app if you get serious about this when eating out.

Once you research how everything in our food and medical industry got hijacked in the 1900s and why, your perspective changes, and logical, rational thinking takes over. The food pyramid we grew up with is laughable in hindsight. Become a food "detective" at the grocery store and "unlearn" many things that have been taught.

As you can see, I'm a bit passionate on this topic. Good luck.

4th and Inches
Big12Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Fasting is beneficial

I would absolutely caution against leaning on Ozempic or the like. Lawsuits are already here.

Canola and "vegetable" oils are absolute garbage. I mean, really harmful. Even many olive oils are heavily processed. I mainly cook using Avocado Oil from Chosen Foods or Primal Kitchen, with the added benefit of a higher smoke point, along with butter, lard, ghee, grease. Chosen and Primal also do a good job with EVOO as well. Seed Oil Scout even has an app if you get serious about this when eating out.

Once you research how everything in our food and medical industry got hijacked in the 1900s and why, your perspective changes, and logical, rational thinking takes over. The food pyramid we grew up with is laughable in hindsight. Become a food "detective" at the grocery store and "unlearn" many things that have been taught.

been intermittent fasting at durations that put the body in autophagy during the lent season.

The body does alot to heal itself while fasting.

The human body was designed to cycle in a feast/famine lifestyle. It burns carbs/sugars for glucose and fat for ketones. Ketones are vital for optimal brain function. Most americans are over weight and extremely challenged healthwise with metabolic issues, cardio vascular issues, etc and alot of that stems from burning nothing but sugar and never switching to the fat burning system. The body cant heal if it doesnt get into the fat burning cycle.

The science is easy to geek out on if you like organic chem
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Big12Bear
I routinely do 18 hour fasts, which is nothing. I plan to increase to at least the 30-36 hour range and possibly stairstep from there, at intervals.

While my research is not complete, I believe that there is definitely something there. It checks out from many beneficial aspects.
LIB,MR BEARS
Big12Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Fasting is beneficial

I need some passion in it to help break so many years of bad habits
LIB,MR BEARS
Big12Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Fasting is beneficial

What are the bad oils to avoid?
Doc Holliday
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Who has dealt with it?

Meds?
Diet?
Exercise?

I have a pretty good knowledge on nootropics and diet.

First off, always eat whole foods. High protein, good carbs and veggies. 1g of protein per pound of lean muscle. Never eat processed foods. Stop drinking alcohol completely. Sugar will kill you. Drink mostly water.

I'm 6" 202lbs at around 15% bodyfat, so we're getting around the same calories, but you're only 5"7 so you probably need to be about 170lbs at the most. Go for 130-150 grams of protein per day mostly through actual animal protein and a couple of protein shakes. Protein first every meal, 2 fist sized portions. Green veggies, prepare them however you want, so long as its not frying. What about fruit? One piece at a time maximum. No more than that. Make breakfast or lunch your largest meal, dinner the smallest. Once its dark outside, NO MORE EATING.

A calorie deficit is the ONLY way to lose weight. You need a little over 1500 calories a day to get down to 170lbs. If you get active and exercise then you go can up 300 calories or so.

Increase Lean mass, Reduce Fat mass

Invert the "whats your bodyfat?" question. What we should be asking is "what is your LEAN MASS?". Excess fat is unhealthy, thats established. What matters for permanent metabolic change and being healthy is lean mass, MUSCLE. More muscle is more strength is more robust and functional living. Permanent fat loss requires permanent muscle gain:

Lift weights, resistance training

Work your whole body every week at least once, all major muscles, twice if you have time. 3-4 days a week, Keep lifting simple, total body, upper/lower, push/pull/legs, follow a program that you understand. Establish objective bench marks for getting stronger, pushups, pullups, squats, lunges. Track your reps and weight. Do a little more each time. Hire a trainer if you are clueless about lifting

Heart health wise I take the following and its made a HUGE impact on my cholesterol, especially triglycerides. I've cut them by more than half with the following:

Citrus Bergamot for Cholesterol control
Ubiquinol
NAC (600mg twice a week)
Vitamin D when you don't get sunlight.
Chelated Magnesium Glycinate (400mg elemental per day)
Cod Liver Oil

If you really want to maximize your goals, I highly recommend Zone 2 cardio 4x a week. Zone 2 is shown to improve your VO2 max and lower your resting heart rate more than any other cardio. Get a 25lb weighted vest and walk for 45 minutes or get on a treadmill at the highest incline and walk for 45 minutes: do this 4x a week. You wanna keep your heart rate around 130 for zone 2.

Get your hormones checked as well, most men have low testosterone starting in their late 30's and rapidly declining every year. Testosterone plays a massive role in mood regulation, anxiety, energy levels, weight control and ability to handle stress.

I promise if you can do this for 3 weeks, you can do it for months and meet your goals.
LIB,MR BEARS
Doc Holliday said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Who has dealt with it?

Meds?
Diet?
Exercise?

I have a pretty good knowledge on nootropics and diet.

First off, always eat whole foods. High protein, good carbs and veggies. 1g of protein per pound of lean muscle. Never eat processed foods. Stop drinking alcohol completely. Sugar will kill you. Drink mostly water.

I'm 6" 202lbs at around 15% bodyfat, so we're getting around the same calories, but you're only 5"7 so you probably need to be about 170lbs at the most. Go for 130-150 grams of protein per day mostly through actual animal protein and a couple of protein shakes. Protein first every meal, 2 fist sized portions. Green veggies, prepare them however you want, so long as its not frying. What about fruit? One piece at a time maximum. No more than that. Make breakfast or lunch your largest meal, dinner the smallest. Once its dark outside, NO MORE EATING.

A calorie deficit is the ONLY way to lose weight. You need a little over 1500 calories a day to get down to 170lbs. If you get active and exercise then you go can up 300 calories or so.

Increase Lean mass, Reduce Fat mass

Invert the "whats your bodyfat?" question. What we should be asking is "what is your LEAN MASS?". Excess fat is unhealthy, thats established. What matters for permanent metabolic change and being healthy is lean mass, MUSCLE. More muscle is more strength is more robust and functional living. Permanent fat loss requires permanent muscle gain:

Lift weights, resistance training

Work your whole body every week at least once, all major muscles, twice if you have time. 3-4 days a week, Keep lifting simple, total body, upper/lower, push/pull/legs, follow a program that you understand. Establish objective bench marks for getting stronger, pushups, pullups, squats, lunges. Track your reps and weight. Do a little more each time. Hire a trainer if you are clueless about lifting

Heart health wise I take the following and its made a HUGE impact on my cholesterol, especially triglycerides. I've cut them by more than half with the following:

Citrus Bergamot for Cholesterol control
Ubiquinol
NAC (600mg twice a week)
Vitamin D when you don't get sunlight.
Chelated Magnesium Glycinate (400mg elemental per day)
Cod Liver Oil

If you really want to maximize your goals, I highly recommend Zone 2 cardio 4x a week. Zone 2 is shown to improve your VO2 max and lower your resting heart rate more than any other cardio. Get a 25lb weighted vest and walk for 45 minutes or get on a treadmill at the highest incline and walk for 45 minutes: do this 4x a week. You wanna keep your heart rate around 130 for zone 2.

Get your hormones checked as well, most men have low testosterone starting in their late 30's and rapidly declining every year. Testosterone plays a massive role in mood regulation, anxiety, energy levels, weight control and ability to handle stress.

I promise if you can do this for 3 weeks, you can do it for months and meet your goals.
Thanks for all the details. I REALLY appreciate it.
4th and Inches
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Big12Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Fasting is beneficial

step one- pick the battles you can win.
Go to bed early so you fet plenty of slept, the body makes less Grelen hormone, and therefore you can control your hunger impulses better, and make healthier food decisions..

Remove words like can't have, and instead use words, like I choose to do.

Choose to make your first meal of the day later in the morning and make your last meal of the day earlier in the evening until you can easily have windows without food or drink (water, small amounts of black coffee, and unsweetened tea are OK. Just be careful with too much caffeine ) that are 13 to 15 hours. Usually eight or more hours would be spent sleeping.

Step two- do the little things like decide to only drink sugary drinks when you are not at home.

Use everything as an excuse to get a little more exercise. If you sit in a desk all day and use the Soleus push-up technique.

Step 3- eat in a certain order. Eat the veggies first, preferably with some vinegar. A salad with a vinegar, base dressing or a vinegar based cabbage slaw are perfect for this. Eat the protein next and the starchy carbs last.

After several weeks of making the small changes, you should notice a difference which should inspire you to make more small changes. That's when you could begin removing processed foods and seed oils and things like that.

Sometimes quitting cold turkey of all these items is scary and most people fail. But if you begin to make the small steps to help, the goal become achievable and success, makes you more confident when taking the next step. Your pathway to health is for life.

–Horace

LIB,MR BEARS
4th and Inches said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Big12Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Fasting is beneficial

step one- pick the battles you can win.
Go to bed early so you fet plenty of slept, the body makes less Grelen hormone, and therefore you can control your hunger impulses better, and make healthier food decisions..

Remove words like can't have, and instead use words, like I choose to do.

Choose to make your first meal of the day later in the morning and make your last meal of the day earlier in the evening until you can easily have windows without food or drink (water, small amounts of black coffee, and unsweetened tea are OK. Just be careful with too much caffeine ) that are 13 to 15 hours. Usually eight or more hours would be spent sleeping.

Step two- do the little things like decide to only drink sugary drinks when you are not at home.

Use everything as an excuse to get a little more exercise. If you sit in a desk all day and use the Soleus push-up technique.

Step 3- eat in a certain order. Eat the veggies first, preferably with some vinegar. A salad with a vinegar, base dressing or a vinegar based cabbage slaw are perfect for this. Eat the protein next and the starchy carbs last.

After several weeks of making the small changes, you should notice a difference which should inspire you to make more small changes. That's when you could begin removing processed foods and seed oils and things like that.

Sometimes quitting cold turkey of all these items is scary and most people fail. But if you begin to make the small steps to help, the goal become achievable and success, makes you more confident when taking the next step. Your pathway to health is for life.

Explain this to me some, please. How does this work?

"Step 3- eat in a certain order. Eat the veggies first, preferably with some vinegar. A salad with a vinegar, base dressing or a vinegar based cabbage slaw are perfect for this. Eat the protein next and the starchy carbs last. "
4th and Inches
Doc is right about Testosterone being vital! Bad dietary habits have only increased the number of men with low testosterone. Proper diet and using an intermittent fasting technique can actually naturally raise your testosterone.

–Horace

Tempus Edax Rerum
https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/newsroom/articles/year-2024/feb-experimental-drug-reverses-fatty-liver-disease.html

https://www.vcuhealth.org/news/retatrutide-wiped-out-fat-in-liver-of-obese-patients

https://investor.lilly.com/news-releases/news-release-details/lillys-phase-2-retatrutide-results-published-new-england-journal

LLY stock is fantastic too

Help is on the way.
Big12Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Big12Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Fasting is beneficial

Canola, Vegetable, etc. I don't have the link handy that would immediately dissuade you from those oils, but suffice it to say - its basically like adding motor oil to your diet. Completely nonsensical.

Canola is from CANada. Vegetable oil is a complete farce. Nothing healthy about it. Absolutely terrible. Don't cook in it and don't eat from it. Instead, look for Avocado Oil or cook in pure grease, lard, olive oil etc.
Doc Holliday
4th and Inches said:

Doc is right about Testosterone being vital! Bad dietary habits have only increased the number of men with low testosterone. Proper diet and using an intermittent fasting technique can actually naturally raise your testosterone.

I'm on TRT at 34 years old.

I was hypogonadal due to medication that I was able to get off of, but it permanently screwed up my hormones. It's been one of the best choices I've ever made.
Vae Victis
Big12Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Big12Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Fasting is beneficial

Canola, Vegetable, etc. I don't have the link handy that would immediately dissuade you from those oils, but suffice it to say - its basically like adding motor oil to your diet. Completely nonsensical.

Canola is from CANada. Vegetable oil is a complete farce. Nothing healthy about it. Absolutely terrible. Don't cook in it and don't eat from it. Instead, look for Avocado Oil or cook in pure grease, lard, olive oil etc.
Complete bunk.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/scientists-debunk-seed-oil-health-risks/

https://www.consumerreports.org/health/healthy-eating/do-seed-oils-make-you-sick-a1363483895/
Big12Bear
Vae Victis said:

Big12Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Big12Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Fasting is beneficial

Complete bunk.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/scientists-debunk-seed-oil-health-risks/

https://www.consumerreports.org/health/healthy-eating/do-seed-oils-make-you-sick-a1363483895/
By all means, go ahead then. If you are actually dense enough to think these oils are good for you, or don't have a negative effect, I'm not going to persuade you.

I've long since done the research on how these oils got their start in the first place. No surprise - corruption to the core.
Vae Victis
Big12Bear said:

Vae Victis said:

Big12Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Big12Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Fasting is beneficial

Complete bunk.

By all means, go ahead then. If you are actually dense enough to think these oils are good for you, or don't have a negative effect, I'm not going to persuade you.

I've long since done the research on how these oils got their start in the first place. No surprise - corruption to the core.
you've done the research! Now that is hilarious. Go ahead with your tin foil hat garbage.
4th and Inches
Vae Victis said:

Big12Bear said:

Vae Victis said:

Big12Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Big12Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Fasting is beneficial

Complete bunk.

you've done the research! Now that is hilarious. Go ahead with your tin foil hat garbage.
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/seed-oils-are-they-actually-toxic

Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids appear to have a greater benefit than omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids

The omega-6 linoleic acid has been associated with lower risk of heart disease. However, it is important to be vigilant about avoiding highly refined vegetable oils and processed foods that contain these highly refined oils.

A standard diet gets plenty of Omega 6 oils without using these highly refined versions.

Using butter vs veggie oil- Real butter is good for you and actually fairly nutritious.

It contains Vitamins A, E and K2. It is also rich in the fatty acids Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) and Butyrate, both of which have powerful health benefits.

CLA may lower body fat percentage in humans and butyrate can fight inflammation, improve gut health and has been shown to make rats completely resistant to becoming obese.

Fat doesnt make you fat, your body uses bile to emulsify the fat to be absorbed and the rest just passed out thru the digestive tract, the reason poop floats.

Carbs are known to cause inflammation and obesity. Processed and highly refined grains are trash combined with synthetic vitamins and chemicals, this is not food- there are no nutrients or bioavailable vitamins.

Sounds yummy!

S/

–Horace

Ghostrider
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Who has dealt with it?

Meds?
Diet?
Exercise?

Seems like the main solution is to lose weight.....which is also the hardest thing to do!
4th and Inches
Ghostrider said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Who has dealt with it?

Meds?
Diet?
Exercise?

Seems like the main solution is to lose weight.....which is also the hardest thing to do!
main solution is to give the liver rest and time to heal.

Eat ZERO sugar, processed foods, and drink no alcohol or sugary drinks for 2-4 weeks. You will feel remarkably better and you liver will thank you

Eat meat and salad veggies with olive oil and vinagar dressing.

I stopped all those sugary foods and drinks for the 40 days of Lent.. lost 4 belt notches and 25pounds.

Still maintaining not eating or drinking sugary processed foods for the most part and havent really craved the foods i cut out

Gonna do blood work at end of the week

–Horace

LIB,MR BEARS
Since I was told about the fatty liver changes, I am down 10 lbs.

I had blood work done

Liver enzymes are good

A1C = 5.9
BP was good
Cholesterol I think was 233
Triglycerides we're high but, I don't recall the number off the top of my head

I've done pretty good cutting out sweets but, it is dang hard to cut out the carbs. Working on that portion of diet habits now. White bread, white potatoes, white rice are all things I really like and trying to replace those with something healthy.

Typing this as I snack on a bag of walnuts. That's a change.

PS… I haven't really started an exercise routine yet. I'll start hitting the dam and Cameron Park trails later this week.
4th and Inches
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Since I was told about the fatty liver changes, I am down 10 lbs.

I had blood work done

Liver enzymes are good

A1C = 5.9
BP was good
Cholesterol I think was 233
Triglycerides we're high but, I don't recall the number off the top of my head

I've done pretty good cutting out sweets but, it is dang hard to cut out the carbs. Working on that portion of diet habits now. White bread, white potatoes, white rice are all things I really like and trying to replace those with something healthy.

Typing this as I snack on a bag of walnuts. That's a change.

PS… I haven't really started an exercise routine yet. I'll start hitting the dam and Cameron Park trails later this week.
congrats! Celebrate the wins! Just not with cake or other sugary foods!

–Horace

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.