Has anyone dealt with an alcoholic family member?

1,606 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by LIB,MR BEARS
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My younger brother is an alcoholic who can't keep a job and has been living with my mom for a couple of years now. He's 32, jobless and has a toxic girlfriend. He's been drinking heavy since he was 25 and its gotten worse.

There's been many times I've talked to him and he's clearly intoxicated and he'll repeat the same things over and over and get irrationally angry all of a sudden then go right back to being friendly. His hands shake when he's not drinking and I notice he has skin issues. I'm betting his health is pretty bad right now.

We've let him know for years that we think he has a problem and he gets defensive, even from a place of genuine concern. He's got a massive ego which is a major part of the problem. My mom is enabling him without realizing it. He's at what I would consider rock bottom, but it doesn't phase him.

I think he needs professional help and rehab. Have any of you dealt with a situation like this? How would I go about this with someone who thinks they're never in the wrong?

It breaks my heart, my parents feel guilty and I almost feel hopeless about the situation.
BaylorGuy314
Not alcoholism but had a relative that started on hard drugs.

I wish I had some insight. He hit rock bottom several times, did rehab several times, got clean several times and always relapsed. The first few times, family was there to help him get back on his feet with a job, transportation, etc. It never stuck. Eventually killed him. Really sad.

A friend of a friend found success by rallying all of his brothers friends to be accountability partners. Brother went into the hospital with liver issues and while he was there his brother took to social media to call out his condition and why. It was a bold move and it could've easily backfired but he was at the end of his rope and cared about his brother deeply and knew just talking to him about it wasn't going to get it done. However, shining that light on it allowed all of brother's friends to take an active part in his recovery. I don't know if it'll last but he's been clean a year. It did strain their relationship for a bit though.
Mr Tulip
I'm not a professional, but have had many friends with substance abuse issues. I agree with most of what you've said.

I say "most" because you say he's hit rock bottom. Here's the ugly part. Only he can tell you when he's hit rock bottom, and he clearly not only doesn't believe he's hit rock bottom - he doesn't even think he has an issue. Miracles happen every day, and I'll be praying for one, but until the individual is willing to work for change, it's not realistically going to happen.

Maybe your mom can tell him to clean up or get out, if she's frustrated by it. Maybe that would be a thing that makes him reconsider (doubtful). There may some other bit of voodoo that starts a person down the road of considering cleaning up, but I don't know one (like I said, not a professional).

Sometimes the substance wins. The user never gets to the point where he wants a change. There's clearly love in your family, so that's obviously not what anyone wants (me neither). I pray that your brother has a moment of clarity and begins to change this road. Just, in my experience, it isn't possible to change an unwilling individual.
Doc Holliday
BaylorGuy314 said:

Not alcoholism but had a relative that started on hard drugs.

I wish I had some insight. He hit rock bottom several times, did rehab several times, got clean several times and always relapsed. The first few times, family was there to help him get back on his feet with a job, transportation, etc. It never stuck. Eventually killed him. Really sad.

A friend of a friend found success by rallying all of his brothers friends to be accountability partners. Brother went into the hospital with liver issues and while he was there his brother took to social media to call out his condition and why. It was a bold move and it could've easily backfired but he was at the end of his rope and cared about his brother deeply and knew just talking to him about it wasn't going to get it done. However, shining that light on it allowed all of brother's friends to take an active part in his recovery. I don't know if it'll last but he's been clean a year. It did strain their relationship for a bit though.
Thanks, I hope it doesn't end up where it kills him. I don't know how I could cope with that.
Doc Holliday
Mr Tulip said:

I'm not a professional, but have had many friends with substance abuse issues. I agree with most of what you've said.

I say "most" because you say he's hit rock bottom. Here's the ugly part. Only he can tell you when he's hit rock bottom, and he clearly not only doesn't believe he's hit rock bottom - he doesn't even think he has an issue. Miracles happen every day, and I'll be praying for one, but until the individual is willing to work for change, it's not realistically going to happen.

Maybe your mom can tell him to clean up or get out, if she's frustrated by it. Maybe that would be a thing that makes him reconsider (doubtful). There may some other bit of voodoo that starts a person down the road of considering cleaning up, but I don't know one (like I said, not a professional).

Sometimes the substance wins. The user never gets to the point where he wants a change. There's clearly love in your family, so that's obviously not what anyone wants (me neither). I pray that your brother has a moment of clarity and begins to change this road. Just, in my experience, it isn't possible to change an unwilling individual.
I agree, I don't think it's going to work unless he wants it to.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
My Dad smoked two packs of cigarettes and drank at least a twelve pack of beer a day for 40 years. At 59, he had a heart attack and drove himself to the emergency room where he flatlined and they brought him back. He had quadruple bypass surgery the next day. His surgeon told him unless he quit smoking and drinking, his time was short and he would die. My Dad took it to heart. He quit both. He took up tennis. He lived another twenty quality years. I was so very proud of him for choosing to live. I miss my Dad.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
LIB,MR BEARS
I consider "hitting bottom" a good thing. It's an opportunity at getting help. The more opportunities, the better but, only if those opportunities are acted on.

I had a brother-in-law who was an alcoholic. He was self-employed so it never cost him a job but, it did cost him work.

To a certain extent, most of us in the family were enablers. There was never a gathering where we didn't have alcohol. We provided the gas around his open flame of drinking. None of us called him out on it but we'd discuss it amongst ourselves. Correction: we'd discuss HIS problem amongst ourselves but never discussed our enabling.

Once, after a family gathering where he'd been drinking, he had his wife and 3 kids in the car. We were still at my in-laws when we got a call from another family member stating the BIL was pulled over by the cops. There was lots of talk about hoping he didn't get arrested etc. The cops just told his wife to drive home and didn't arrest him in front of his kids. They probably thought they were helping. That was a missed opportunity at hitting bottom.

He knew he had a problem and tried AA. That lasted a couple meetings before he ridiculed the program and those in it. A missed opportunity

After AA, he tried cold turkey, all on his own. I remember he showed up at a family gathering with the shakes and sweating profusely. He was guzzling Gatorade trying to use it as a substitute. We all told him what a noble effort it was, great job, keep it up. Then, we continued to drink in front of him, offering no more support than a pat on the back. Another missed opportunity.

He gave up the abstaining in place of attempting to limit his drinking. He'd get a couple drinks early in the day to "steady his nerves" so he could work. That gradually grew into drinking all day and then binging at night till he passed out.

One weekend he had an argument with his wife. He got in the car and said he was going to see his dad and brothers out of town. He said he needed to get away.

A day or so later he calls his wife and said he's headed back home. He'd be back in 2-3 hours.

He never made it back. The people in the car behind him, stopped at the intersection, said they saw him fall over to the right, towards the center console. When he did, all the weight went onto his right leg and the accelerator pedal. The car took off seeding down the road before eventually leaving the road and driving through a yard. In the second yard, the car hit a large tree.

The airbag deployed but because he was slumped over to the side, it deployed over his left shoulder. His head hit the center console causing a massive head injury.

We were all in the room when the doctor told us he had drugs in his system. He'd been partying with one of his brothers. The doctor said he passed out at the intersection and fallen over.

The doctor said there was nothing they could do for him and only the machines were keeping him alive. He was removed from life support with his soon-to-be widow in the room, his three kids and many other family members. He was gone inside of an hour.

His three kids have all had serious issues-mental health, multiple DWIs, arrest for altering a prescription. His widow is now the alcoholic.

Other family members are still heavy drinkers but I don't know that I'd call any of them alcoholics. I hope I'm right.

The only positives I can think of from this story is that I quit drinking, mostly due to the guilt I felt after the cold-turkey episode. I've lost any desire for alcohol. My son never started and my daughter will have a glass of wine 3-4 times a year.

If there is a moral to the story, it's don't miss opportunities to help, to support.

Help and support can have a lot of different looks. It can be intervening, it can be calling the cops, it can be calling his friends, it can be supporting your mom in setting up boundaries. It can sometimes be loud and ugly.

I don't know the right answers. I wish I did then and I wish had them now. I know prayer is a great place to start and finish.

Praying for your brother and all the family, friends and associates.
Mitch Blood Green
Doc Holliday said:

My younger brother is an alcoholic who can't keep a job and has been living with my mom for a couple of years now. He's 32, jobless and has a toxic girlfriend. He's been drinking heavy since he was 25 and its gotten worse.

There's been many times I've talked to him and he's clearly intoxicated and he'll repeat the same things over and over and get irrationally angry all of a sudden then go right back to being friendly. His hands shake when he's not drinking and I notice he has skin issues. I'm betting his health is pretty bad right now.

We've let him know for years that we think he has a problem and he gets defensive, even from a place of genuine concern. He's got a massive ego which is a major part of the problem. My mom is enabling him without realizing it. He's at what I would consider rock bottom, but it doesn't phase him.

I think he needs professional help and rehab. Have any of you dealt with a situation like this? How would I go about this with someone who thinks they're never in the wrong?

It breaks my heart, my parents feel guilty and I almost feel hopeless about the situation.

Good luck
william
Go Bears!
KaiBear
Doc Holliday said:

No one hurts more than your brother as he is totally aware of his failures . And he is totally cognizant of how successful you are in comparison and it makes his self loathing even worse.

He might be self medicating for an undiagnosed bi polar condition . A big ego is another sign of a possible big polar condition. As frustrating as it may be to watch it's not unusual for mothers to be enablers. But it can be the lessor of two evils.
Suicide is what you really need to be concerned about.

Unfortunately until someone can prove he is an immediate threat to himself or others it will be extremely difficult to force him into rehab against his will.

Most importantl thing you can do right now is not to judge him, tell him you love him ( only if you mean it ) remain caring and patient.

TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Tough spot for your family, really sorry for you all. Alcoholics are miserable, the further they get into it the more life leeching, joy sucking burdens they become. They will drain years out of their caretakers and can become violent or verbally abusive. So outside of someone having a life changing mental change, like accepting Christ, admission and willingness to change, etc, Jail is likely going to be what fixes him. Seemed to work for my sibling with the same prob. He's going to do something stupid and end up there, and just hope and pray that he doesn't hurt anyone.

One-Eyed Wheeler
Reach out to our very own Baylor great, Randy Grimes. He is a recovering addict from painkillers and has been running a rehab center (I believe in FL). He should be able to give you some great advice.

https://randygrimesspeaks.com/

LIB,MR BEARS
I didn't think opioid addiction and alcoholism had a lot in common because alcohol is a social thing and pain killers are usually introduced by a doctor. Apples and oranges, I figured. There is actually a great deal of overlap.

I haven't watched the full video yet but the first thing that jumped out at me that would also relate to Alcohol addiction is the "stinking thinking".

The addicts thinking is backwards and upside down. Logic and reasoning do not work.

In my brother-in-law's case it would be starting the day off with a couple drinks to calm the nerves. Everything about that reasoning is backwards but, it made since to my BIL.

I'm still watching so I'm sure there sure there will be more to learn.

Randy Grimes with Dr Drew

http://www.youtube.com/live/IbxLcVCf6ko?si=FKPhd-VImaLvM3Oz
LIB,MR BEARS
"You have to have the desperation of a drowning man."

LIB,MR BEARS
"Recover out loud"

Getting past the stigma
KaiBear
KaiBear said:

Doc Holliday said:

No one hurts more than your brother as he is totally aware of his failures . And he is totally cognizant of how successful you are in comparison and it makes his self loathing even worse.

He might be self medicating for an undiagnosed bi polar condition . A big ego is another sign of a possible bipolar condition. As frustrating as it may be to watch it's not unusual for mothers to be enablers. But it can be the lessor of two evils.
Suicide is what you really need to be concerned about.

Unfortunately until someone can prove he is an immediate threat to himself or others it will be extremely difficult to force him into rehab against his will.

Most importantl thing you can do right now is not to judge him, tell him you love him ( only if you mean it ) remain caring and patient.

Aliceinbubbleland
Doc, without knowning any of the facts why is his girlfriend toxic? Is she addicted too? If his mom is a forgiving person he needs to move out and seek help from another source.

I truly feel sorry for both of you and I wished I had some worthwhile suggestion. About the only solution is getting outside help away from family.

You are a wonderful brother trying to help him. That is special.
Doc Holliday
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Doc, without knowning any of the facts why is his girlfriend toxic? Is she addicted too? If his mom is a forgiving person he needs to move out and seek help from another source.

I truly feel sorry for both of you and I wished I had some worthwhile suggestion. About the only solution is getting outside help away from family.

She abuses her adderall meds and also drinks heavily. They've called the police on each other several times when they lived together in an apartment. She can't keep a job either. She's also cheated on my brother.

I think she's abusing him mentally.

She's got a son from another man who's around 10 years old and my brother is convinced he needs to stick around to be there for him. She's basically lost custody of the kid though because she can't pass a drug test.

My mom is pretty fed up. When she gets upset with my brother, he'll get super pissed off and verbally abuse her. He can never be wrong and he thinks he's an expert about everything which is wild in the situation he's in.

LIB,MR BEARS
Doc Holliday said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

She abuses her adderall meds and also drinks heavily. They've called the police on each other several times when they lived together in an apartment. She can't keep a job either. She's also cheated on my brother.

I think she's abusing him mentally.

She's got a son from another man who's around 10 years old and my brother is convinced he needs to stick around to be there for him. She's basically lost custody of the kid though because she can't pass a drug test.

My mom is pretty fed up. When she gets upset with my brother, he'll get super pissed off and verbally abuse her. He can never be wrong and he thinks he's an expert about everything which is wild in the situation he's in.

sounds like some of that stinkin thinkin
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.