Walk-On's plans Waco debut

4,994 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 90sBear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
http://www.kxxv.com/story/38621397/walk-ons-plans-waco-debut-july-16

WACO, TX (KXXV) -
A new restaurant is slated to open Monday in Waco.

Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar is opening at Legends Crossing on Monday, July 16.

The Baton Rouge-based restaurant is kicking off its grand opening festivities at 10:45 a.m. During the event, the restaurant will make a $2,500 donation to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

The first 20 customers will receive a mini football autographed by New Orleans Saints quarterback and Walk-On's co-owner Drew Brees.

The restaurant is known for its Louisiana-inspired menu and game-day atmosphere.

The restaurant will be open Sunday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m. to midnight.

PartyBear
I have never been to a Walk On's. I actually had hoped a Razzoo's ( a Chuy's like Cajun chain) would come into Waco specifically at Legend's Crossing. That probably won't happen there specifically now.
bularry
PartyBear said:

I have never been to a Walk On's. I actually had hoped a Razzoo's ( a Chuy's like Cajun chain) would come into Waco specifically at Legend's Crossing. That probably won't happen there specifically now.

Razzoo's?

Walk Ons ain't much
4th and Inches
My cajun food meter is driven by the gumbo offering... if the gumbo aint good, I wont be a patron cery often.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
bularry said:

PartyBear said:

Razzoo's?

Walk Ons ain't much

Razzoo's is cajun like Taco Bell is Mexican.
bularry
Brian Ethridge said:

bularry said:

PartyBear said:

Razzoo's?

Walk Ons ain't much

Razzoo's is cajun like Taco Bell is Mexican.

Exactly. Can't believe anyone is pining for one
PartyBear
I keep forgetting this is food snob board and some go all Howard Hughes about some or all restaurant chains. Whatever. I think Razzoo's is good and liked the atmosphere of the one I went to. It's more like a Cajun version of Chuy's which does extremely well here. Let me just acknowledge some will come here and trash Chuy's; which is really fine with me actually we don't have to agree.
geewago
I ate there today. Let me just say I do not recommend the turkey sandwich. Slimy onions, stringy raw bacon and the soggy thing just fell apart in my hands. Next time I will try something of a cajun flavor.
cowboycwr
Is this what went in at the Heitmiller's location that shut down? Or is it one of the new places that was built?
MrGolfguy
cowboycwr said:

Is this what went in at the Heitmiller's location that shut down? Or is it one of the new places that was built?
Built new place, a Mexican place (Los Cuco's) took over the former Quaker Steak/Heitmiller's
cowboycwr
MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

Built new place, a Mexican place (Los Cuco's) took over the former Quaker Steak/Heitmiller's
Thanks. Once I read that I remembered seeing a sign for Los Cuco's one day. Guess I just forgot.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

I keep forgetting this is food snob board and some go all Howard Hughes about some or all restaurant chains. Whatever. I think Razzoo's is good and liked the atmosphere of the one I went to. It's more like a Cajun version of Chuy's which does extremely well here. Let me just acknowledge some will come here and trash Chuy's; which is really fine with me actually we don't have to agree.

Lol you are so spot on. I grew tired of the food snobs who complained every time on the old board (and now here) when a new restaurant opened up. There were one or two who never post anymore that never liked any chain restaurant and complained about all of them. They would then always go on to even say the local places were bad. There was one poster in particular who never seemed to say which ones she actually liked and always had a negative comment about any restaurant that was mentioned.
KOKQB70
Their location in north San Antonio seems to be busy, glad Waco continues to thrive!
trey3216
PartyBear said:

I absolutely hate their salsa.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
trey3216 said:

PartyBear said:

My wife loves Chuy's. Me, not so much. I'd rather go to El Con, Trujillo's, etc...

Razzoo's still sucks. Always has, but at least they have cold beer. Waco needs a Shuck and Jive.
trey3216
Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

PartyBear said:

My wife loves Chuy's. Me, not so much. I'd rather go to El Con, Trujillo's, etc...

Razzoo's still sucks. Always has, but at least they have cold beer. Waco needs a Shuck and Jive.
im in on Shuck 'n Jive
TechDawgMc
trey3216 said:

PartyBear said:

The salsa is the one thing I don't like. The creamy jalapeo makes up for it.
BaylorOkie
TechDawgMc said:

trey3216 said:

PartyBear said:

The salsa is the one thing I don't like. The creamy jalapeo makes up for it.
Paired with the hatch sauce, even better.
bularry
PartyBear said:

I love the people who complain about food snobs. My favorite internet person
PartyBear
If you are talking about the Salsa Fresca, the stuff that is almost like a more fine pico; that stuff is real good and even better the next day.
trey3216
PartyBear said:

If you are talking about the Salsa Fresca, the stuff that is almost like a more fine pico; that stuff is real good and even better the next day.

It's good on a taco, not my favorite for chip consumption. And jalapeo ranch dip isn't salsa. It's dip. I'm a chips/salsa guy so the only reason I go to Chuy's is if I'm hungover and need the build your own enchiladas with chicken, the hatch chili sauce and hatch chili rice. I'll skip the chips/dip and chips/pico
TechDawgMc
PartyBear said:

While I agree that there are snobs on here -- especially in the "local always better than chain" variety, that doesn't mean they are always wrong. It amuses me when they talk about how Chuy's sucks, but that local place that never has more than five people in it is wonderful.

Having said that, Razzoo's is not good cajun food. Granted, it's hard to find good cajun outside of La. because restaurants tone the spice way down for non-Louisiana people, which sort of defeats the purpose. I can eat at Razzoos and wouldn't say it sucks, but it's just not Cajun.
PartyBear
trey the reason I distinguished the salsa fresca was because I'm not sure if that is what people were saying they didnt like. There is another salsa on the happy hour nacho bar as well that looks more like a more liquid red sauce than the salsa fresca (which again is almost pico looking) which is also on the happy hour bar as well. This other sauce I agree is not that good. That is their mild salsa incidentally and is way too mild. I wasnt sure if that was what folks were referring to.

Chuy's incidentally has other dips in addition to the Creamy Jalepeno that they dont automatically serve unless requested. My wife and I like the atmosphere at Chuy's, the vibe reminds us of the vibe at some of the chains one would find in a Mexican beach resort city such as a Margaritaville or Senor Frogs. I brought up Razzoos because it has a very similar atmosphere to Chuy's and would also be cool for Waco.
NoBSU
Is it still okay to like Captain Billy Whizbangs? Of course I haven't eaten there since 1985.

How are JT McCord and Peoples doing?
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Captain Billy Whizbangs
Total dive. Pretty good burgers, really good fries. Get it delivered by Sic 'em Delivery.
Illigitimus non carborundum
90sBear
NoBSU said:

Is it still okay to like Captain Billy Whizbangs? Of course I haven't eaten there since 1985.

About as well as the Steak and Ale
NoBSU
90sBear said:

NoBSU said:

So no more 24 oz. Porterhouse for two for $24?
4th and Inches
90sBear said:

NoBSU said:

always nice to get a scoop of cinnamon ice cream after the steak, salad, and baked potato
90sBear
NoBSU said:

90sBear said:

NoBSU said:

So no more 24 oz. Porterhouse for two for $24?
Well, you could start your own franchise. https://bennigans.com/own-a-steak-and-ale/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.