Top concerts you've attended

8,929 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SSadler
Max Quad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Which bands, singers, other musicians are you glad you got to see (and hear) in concert? Who do you most regret having missed?
Mitch Blood Green
Tears For Fears
Dave Mathews
Stevie Wonder
Lionel Ritchie
Prince
Thompson Twins
The Cure
U2
The Daz Band
Dave Chapelle
Eddie Murphy
Whitney Houston
Luther Vandross

Want to see Willie

I'm sure I've missed a few.

Wish I could see Prince one more time. He is/ was amazing.

December I have tickets for Elton John.
robby44
Parliament/ Funkadelic
Bootsy Collins
Prince
Chakra Khan
The Police
Van Halen
Pat Metheny Group
Sting
Chuck Berry
Robert Cray
Sade
Earth Wind and Fire
Luther Vandross
Cameo
The B52s
Journey
Run dmc
Beastie boys

Regret I never saw Led Zeppelin or The Rolling stones
NoBSU
robby44 said:

Parliament/ Funkadelic
Bootsy Collins
Prince
Chakra Khan
The Police
Van Halen
Pat Metheny Group
Sting
Chuck Berry
Robert Cray
Sade
Earth Wind and Fire
Luther Vandross
Cameo
The B52s
Journey
Run dmc
Beastie boys

Regret I never saw Led Zeppelin or The Rolling stones
Great list Robby.
I saw the Stones in the Cotton Bowl in 1989.
Chicago at Six Flags in 1988?
Three Dog Night. Like Chicago it sounded just like the radio.
Took my father to see Charley Pride & Don Williams double header. Proud son day.
Took my dad to see Bill Monroe, Ricky Skaggs, and Allison Krauss.
Barbara Mandrell in the late seventies. She can play about eight instruments.
Herbie Hancock at Caravan of Dreams maybe late eighties.
I went to see Wayne Newton once extremely inebriated.
I have seen Kenny Wayne Shepard several times from when he was 16 to last year.
Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl Keen are a good show.
Imagine Dragons in Dallas nine months ago was a good show.
Post Modern Jukebox is a change of pace.
My list of bad concerts from national acts is about four times longer.

I wish that I had seen Blood Sweat and Tears, Earth Wind and Fire, Rush and Yes in their prime.

My wife and kids say that Panic. At the Disco and 21 Pilots are the best that they have seen in the last few years. My family does about 12 national tour concerts a year. I don't like crowds. I am hitting one this year - Lyle Lovett and His Large Band in a month.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
I was asked to sponsor a table for $500 at an MS charity event in dallas around 2000.

I did but wasn't that fired up about it. Filled the table. Don Henley's wife has MS and he ended up talking Joe Walsh, Glenn Frey, Timothy Schmidt, Don Felder, Trish Yearwood and Stevie Nicks into providing entertainment for the event.

Instead of mailing it in and doing 5-8 songs, the Eagles did all their hits plus some good duets. Around 30 songs.

Only 1000 or so present but that one will be hard to top for me.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Had I known the Eagles were playing of course I would have been a lot more fired up to sponsor but the tables would have been $5000 plus if that was known...

They did a charity auction and ended up raising $2 million plus.
HunterBear
Never was a big concert goer, but I'm glad to have seen Clint Black in Waco Hall, George Strait in the Ferrell Center, John Denver in Reno, Neil Diamond a couple of times, Chicago and The Doobie Brothers in Waco.

Saw Bachman Turner Overdrive in Waco Hall, if you can believe that venue.

Regret not seeing The Eagles.
Keyser Soze

Paul McCartney
Elton John
Page & Plant (not full Zep but close)
Fleetwood Mac
Yes
EW&F
Michael Jackson
The Cars
Heart
Willie Nelson
Billy Joel
The Eagles
U2
Green Day
Aeorowsmith
Ted Nugent
ZZ Top
Steve Miller
Van Halen
The Cure
Grace Jones (at the Stark Club)
Bryan Adams
George Benson
Vic Damone
Sandy Duncan
The Muse
4 non blonds
Paul Simon
Steve Winwood
Tom Petty
Rolling Stones
B-52s

robby44
Herbie at the Caravan! Wow
I bet that was great

Caravan was one the best venues in DFW
I hate that it closed

whitetrash
Billy Joel at MSG 2016 (#76 out of his 100 appearances there, I think)
Rolling Stones at Astrodome 1994
U2 in Chicago 2018 and Houston 2001
Elton John & Billy Joel at Rice Stadium 1995 (interesting to contrast their piano playing styles)
Paul McCartney in Shreveport 2017
Tony Bennett at the Houston Rodeo in 2001
Robert Plant & Jimmy Page at Compaq Center 1995 (no Stairway to Heaven though)
ZZTop in Belton 2017
Jimmy Buffett numerous times, best were probably Dallas 1991 and Houston 2001
B-52s in Atlanta 2017
Jerry Jeff Walker at the Broken Spoke in Austin in 1992--It was like he was just the house band at a honkytonk
Eagles final tour pre-breakup at Erwin Center 1980
Art Garfunkel with the Waco Symphony in about 2008
(don't laugh or judge me) Barry Manilow at Radio City Music Hall in 2012 (cheesy yes, but he puts on a helluva Las Vegas-type show)
Yo-Yo Ma at the Hollywood Bowl 2014 and in Waco 2015
Michael Jackson at Texas Stadium in 1984 (wasn't all that great of a show; sweltering heat but at least we had a skybox)

Back in the day before they ended the Junior League Charity Ball in Waco, they had in various years Three Dog Night, Kool & the Gang, Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits) and KC & the Sunshine Band.

Bad concerts? Only one that really comes to mind was seeing Robert Earl Keen at Gruene Hall full of drunk Aggies in 1993. All he could talk about was getting stoned in his dorm room at A&M with Lyle Lovett.

Concerts I wish I saw?
Prince
The Who
Willie (in his prime)
Aerosmith

Biggest regret was missing Huey Lewis & the News when they opened for Jimmy Buffett at the soccer stadium in Frisco in 2015. There had been heavy rains, so a lot of the fields around the stadium usually used for parking were unavailable due to the mud. We drove around for 2+ hours trying to find a parking place before somebody unexplicably left the allday preconcert tailgate without going to the concert. We ran into the stadium to hear only the last half of Heart of Rock n Roll as his finale. And now he's been forced to retire due to medical condition.
Stranger
With my years in journalism and KILT radio in the seventies I saw nearly everybody I wanted to see. Never saw the Beatles.

Best concert ever. 2013, Nob Hill Masonic Auditorium, San Francisco, California . . . the legendary Sir Van Morrison.
I'm a Bearbacker
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Love Van Morrison
Mr Tulip
Best concerts?

Saw The Ramones right before Dee Dee left.
Prince on the "Musicology" tour.
The Black Crows at La Zona Rosa (unannounced 300 person club before the "Amorica" tour).
DLR and Poison on the "Skyscraper" tour.
G'n'f'n'R / Skid Row right after the St. Louis Riot.
The Lords of Acid on the Sextreme Tour

Worst concert:
Sting. He was very impressed with himself. I checked baseball scores on the Blackberry. I hate baseball.

Edmond Bear

Norah Jones - smooth and really shy
Eagles with an alive Glen Frey- sounded suspiciously, exactly like their greatest hits album. They couldn'tve...right? But, they did tell good stories all night.

Have attended Oracle Open World for years and they have a concert on Treasure Island in the middle of San Francisco Bay. Have seen Elton John, Pearl Jam, Black Eyed Peas, Kings of Leon, Maroon 5, Aerosmith, The Black Keys.

Saw Joe Ely many years ago the Texas State Fair. Great performance. He put everything out there.

Harry Conick Jr. was very personable. Talked and told stories throughout the show. Would definitely see again.

Stood 4 feet from Asleep at the Wheel at Gruene Dance Hall. They were alot of fun.

Have seen a fair amount of Christian concerts including 3rd Day, 3rd Day, and 3rd Day (my wife's favorite).

Little River Band floored me because my friends and I spent the whole evening saying "Wait...they sing that one too?"

My wife and I hit alot of local music around OKC and Tulsa. The Jones Assembly and Brady Theater are our favorite venues.

Maroon 5 was the worst. Adam (the lead singer) stopped between songs and says "I'm used to singing in front of huge crowds of women. You all are bunch of dudes just staring at me." He was right. Maroon 5 was not a good choice for a technology conference. Just...no...energy....

But my favorite experience...by far....and this is crazy....was David Crowder and NF at a large church in OKC. I went with zero expectations because my daughters wanted to go. But, Crowder's presentation, stories, and style drew me in. Then he brought up NF (which is a really good rapper), the music amped up, the strobe lights went crazy and they blew the roof off the place. Have seen alot but have never felt anything like that experience.
NoBSU
My wife saw Maroon 5 in St. Louis over a year ago/ She said that the mix/electronics were off. It could have been the arena. The sound was horrible. You would have thought that they would have fixed that in sound check.
Stranger
Ashley Hodge said:

Love Van Morrison

His voice is still strong and clear and his band is kick-ass. He ain't on no retirement tour. Almost 73 and still puts everyone to shame. Tours non stop.

Born to sing with no plan B
I'm a Bearbacker
transmit5by9
If I scrape the rust off a few brain cells, here's my list by date:

1967,,,,,,Buffalo Springfield (very young Steven Stills, Richie Furay, Jim Messina, and Neil Young) opening for the Beach Boys. They couldn't have been out of their very early 20's, but their musicianship was already obvious. They were also having a blast, and were a long way from becoming jaded with the music industry.

1969......A very young B.B.King playing the Longhorn Jazz Festival. I doubt anyone there knew who he was (I sure didn't), but when he sang "How Blue Can You Get", the place almost exploded.

1972.......On his second tour of the USA, Elton John does a dress rehearsal at the HOT Coliseum. No extravagant outfits, just a packed house witnessing the beginnings of a world class talent. Rocket Man indeed....

1984 (I think)....After several postponed bookings, Stevie Ray Vaughan plays to a small crowd (maybe 100-125 people) at The Waterworks. I'd heard so much about him from my Austin friends I wanted to see what all the fuss was all about. I sat at the end if the bar, maybe 25 feet from the tiny stage. Maybe the best two hours of the decade for me.

1992.....One of the top 5 songwriters in Nashville history, Rodney Crowell, plays a 2 man show at Caravan of Dreams in Ft. Worth. He held a full room of perhaps 300 captivated for well over 2 hours. His accompanying guitarist was an unknown named Steuart Smith, who went on to replace Don Felder in today's lineup of The Eagles.

1998......Just before the Warner Theater in Washington DC shut down for renovations, the revived version of Little Feat played for the first time since Lowell George's death. Every person stood and sang along at the top of their lungs, a Dixie Chicken hootenanny. Normally people talking or singing along is my worst nightmare, but this was a glorious welcome home to one of rock and roll's least appreciated bands.
RegentCoverup
Personal Favorites
Kool and the Gang(1981?)
Shannon(if you don't know the song, don't ask, she was ahead of her time.)
INXS, at RFK Stadium 1993? Next year of this concert, an attendee was struck by lightning, killed.
Iggy Pop
Tina Turner
Ottmar Liebert
Level 42(Royal Albert Hall, London)
Lyle Lovett(Bass Hall)
Tool(5x, Dallas(3) LA(1) NY(1). went on a pub crawl with Danny Carey
Taj Mahal(London)
Rammstein(Copenhagen
Pantera. 2x.(Rex Browns' ex wife is a friend)

George Jones(Bass Hall, FW)

Edit: I went to an early Peter Gabriel concert, and then again in like 2004. Loved that.

And the WEIRDEST concert I've ever attended was a Sigur Ros concert in Copenhagen.

This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
fubar
Saw Queen (circa 1981)
Saw Queen with Adam Lambert (2017)

I didn't recognize greatness circa 1981. And Adam Lambert didn't suck. Not at all. But Queen in 1981 ....

The Who was great. Pete can tour for another 10 years. Roger? Uhhh, he was amazing in the day.
Paul Simon was awesome
Doobies
Fleetwood Mac cool in 2015. Will report on 2018 (w/o Lindsey Buckingham) in October

Looking forward to Bob Seger
Mitch Blood Green
robby44 said:

I bet that was great

I hate that it closed

Caravan. Nice.
Mitch Blood Green
transmit5by9 said:

If I scrape the rust off a few brain cells, here's my list by date:

1967,,,,,,Buffalo Springfield (very young Steven Stills, Richie Furay, Jim Messina, and Neil Young) opening for the Beach Boys. They couldn't have been out of their very early 20's, but their musicianship was already obvious. They were also having a blast, and were a long way from becoming jaded with the music industry.

1969......A very young B.B.King playing the Longhorn Jazz Festival. I doubt anyone there knew who he was (I sure didn't), but when he sang "How Blue Can You Get", the place almost exploded.

1972.......On his second tour of the USA, Elton John does a dress rehearsal at the HOT Coliseum. No extravagant outfits, just a packed house witnessing the beginnings of a world class talent. Rocket Man indeed....

1984 (I think)....After several postponed bookings, Stevie Ray Vaughan plays to a small crowd (maybe 100-125 people) at The Waterworks. I'd heard so much about him from my Austin friends I wanted to see what all the fuss was all about. I sat at the end if the bar, maybe 25 feet from the tiny stage. Maybe the best two hours of the decade for me.

1992.....One of the top 5 songwriters in Nashville history, Rodney Crowell, plays a 2 man show at Caravan of Dreams in Ft. Worth. He held a full room of perhaps 300 captivated for well over 2 hours. His accompanying guitarist was an unknown named Steuart Smith, who went on to replace Don Felder in today's lineup of The Eagles.

1998......Just before the Warner Theater in Washington DC shut down for renovations, the revived version of Little Feat played for the first time since Lowell George's death. Every person stood and sang along at the top of their lungs, a Dixie Chicken hootenanny. Normally people talking or singing along is my worst nightmare, but this was a glorious welcome home to one of rock and roll's least appreciated bands.

NoBSU
tommie said:

robby44 said:

I bet that was great

I hate that it closed

Caravan. Nice.
I saw Wynton Marsalis at Caravan of Dreams. My radio was usually on KNTU when I lived in Dallas in the eighties. Did they change their call sign when they changed their name to University of North Texas?

Starting to realize how old I am when I try to remember details. I remembered the third person at the Chicago concert. Sets the concert in 1983. The eighties new rock was disappointing to me. I dropped a lot of bands that sold out to pop. Drifted into more Southern rock from the 70s and Jazz. I didn't add blues until the nineties. I missed a lot of good live blues from Austin to Dallas in the eighties.

I used to party with an art dealer and friends. He could get us in most places in Deep Ellum with no cover. They were really promoting the galleries mixed with bars in the middle eighties so they had a little network going. We popped into the Prophet Bar a few times but I had too many drinks to appreciate Screamin Jay Hawkins or The Reverend Horton Heat. It was sort of a pub crawl crowd hitting a series of places. Missed opportunities.

quash
Some of these are why I can't remember others...

Led Zeppelin
Elton John, U2, Psychedelic Furs, Dan Fogelberg, The Call. Twice for each.
Kool and the Gang
Don Henley
America
Seals and Croft (one of those did some Tuvan throat singing)
Jerry Jeff Walker
Trout Fishing in America: Water Works, Kerrville Folk Festival, MCC, a church in Dallas and a blues club in Arlington.
REK
EW&F
Don Henley
Asleep at the Wheel
Ray Wiley Hubbard
Beach Boys
Phoebe Snow
Riders in the Sky
Spinners. Rose Royce opened and "Car Wash" was much higher on the charts than anything the Spinners had out, but the Spinners clearly owned the show.

Speaking of Water Works, what was the BU frat band that used to play there? Robin the Phi Delt, Barry Johnson and another SAE, ATO on drums and keyboard. Anyone remember 1979?

Wish I'd seen Moody Blues, The Who, Springsteen and Chicago.

Booray needs to post here, Keb Mo etc.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
bubbadog
Wow, some great shows here. I'd have to think hard about my favorites.

I might include these:

Dire Straits in 81 at a club show (maybe 500 people) after the release of their Making Movies LP. Just an incredible sound in that setting.

The Clash in 83 or 84

Bruce Springsteen in 81. Had always heard about his live shows. As good as advertised. I won a bet with a hard-core Springsteen devotee from New Jersey who insisted that he never played "Because the Night" in live shows. I knew better because I'd heard a bootleg version on KLBJ.

Tom Petty in about 85. Got to stand right down in front of the stage. They were amazing.

B-52s in 83. Everybody was dancing so much that the upper balcony started swaying and they had to stop the show temporarily. English Beat opened for them. (I also saw them open for the Police. One of the best and tightest live bands I've ever heard.)

Willie Nelson -- once in Waco downtown and once at his picnic when they held it in the Cotton Bowl.

Crosby Stills & Nash in 78 in Fort Worth.

Heart at the original TexxasJam in, what, 78? They were the best band of the day by far.

The Smiths in 85 (I think). I could watch Johnny Marr all day.

The Ramones at the Agora Ballroom in Atlanta in 82 or 83. In the middle of the show, this dude fell out of the balcony and landed smack on the floor. He lay their motionless for about 5 minutes and then just got up and walked away. Joey and DeeDee and boys never stopped playing. Einzweidreivier...

Michael Hedges was the opening act in a jazz show I saw. One man and one acoustic guitar. Just jaw-dropping. Nobody in the audience seemed to have heard of him, and they were just in awe. Check him out on YouTube.

The shows I most regret missing were Parliament's legendary shows at the Summit in Houston in 1976 and 1977. Had lots of friends who saw them and raved. (You can still watch the entire show on YouTube, but it's obviously not the same.) I did get to see them eventually.

Keyser Soze
Second on Heart at Texas Jam - just excellent

Van Halen was the no name band early in the afternoon
NoBSU
bubbadog said:

I might include these:

Dire Straits in 81 at a club show (maybe 500 people) after the release of their Making Movies LP. Just an incredible sound in that setting.

The Clash in 83 or 84

Bruce Springsteen in 81. Had always heard about his live shows. As good as advertised. I won a bet with a hard-core Springsteen devotee from New Jersey who insisted that he never played "Because the Night" in live shows. I knew better because I'd heard a bootleg version on KLBJ.

Tom Petty in about 85. Got to stand right down in front of the stage. They were amazing.

B-52s in 83. Everybody was dancing so much that the upper balcony started swaying and they had to stop the show temporarily. English Beat opened for them. (I also saw them open for the Police. One of the best and tightest live bands I've ever heard.)

Willie Nelson -- once in Waco downtown and once at his picnic when they held it in the Cotton Bowl.

Heart at the original TexxasJam in, what, 78? They were the best band of the day by far.

The Ramones at the Agora Ballroom in Atlanta in 82 or 83. In the middle of the show, this dude fell out of the balcony and landed smack on the floor. He lay their motionless for about 5 minutes and then just got up and walked away. Joey and DeeDee and boys never stopped playing. Einzweidreivier...

Michael Hedges was the opening act in a jazz show I saw. One man and one acoustic guitar. Just jaw-dropping. Nobody in the audience seemed to have heard of him, and they were just in awe. Check him out on YouTube.

The shows I most regret missing were Parliament's legendary shows at the Summit in Houston in 1976 and 1977. Had lots of friends who saw them and raved. (You can still watch the entire show on YouTube, but it's obviously not the same.) I did get to see them eventually.

Were the B-52's in Austin at a small venue?
robby44
bubbadog said:

I might include these:

The Clash in 83 or 84

Got to see Parliment on the 1977 PFunk Earth tour
At Fort Worth convention center. Great show with the landing of the mothership (its now on display at the Smithsonian)
Saw them at another epic show SMU McFarland auditorium 1993. Hit the stage at 8:30 didn't stop playing until 1am when SMU security closed it down
Limited IQ Redneck in PU

Tom Petty several times
Pink Floyd
Counting Crows
Def Leppard
Santana
Willie many times
Pat Green
Pet Shop Boys dont laugh got laid
Rush
Genesis twice
Phil Collins
Bruce Springsteen
Ms. Molly and the Whips many times
Butthole Surfers
Bon Jovi
Cars
Metalica
Corrosion of Conformity
Stones
Dave Mathews
Smashing Pumpkins
Johnny Winters
Cars

Bounced for White Zombie

Wished I had seen Led Zepplin
nein51
I was dragged to a Neil Diamond concert...it was incredible.
quash
Air Raid at Mothers.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Fat Daddy
Van The Man - twice - the guy can wail!!!
Jackson Browne
Eric Clapton
Paul McCartney
James Taylor - many times
Crosby Stills & Nash
John Denver - many times, great entertainer
Paul Simon
Elton John - twice
Steely Dan
Chicago
Willie - (several times in some small venues; got to sit around with Willie at a mutual friends house in Hillsboro)
Grassroots
Tony Joe White
Andre Crouch
The Pat Terry Group
Michael W Smith
Stephen Curtis Chapman
Trapeze

And others

And the best local / garage / cover band I ever heard was Front Street Warehouse. From Wichita Falls, early - mid 70's. Introduced me to Allman Brothers, Jethro Tull and so many others!!!

Would love to have seen or see:

Elvis
The Beatles
Kenny Loggins
Pointer Sisters
Dan Fogelberg
Leon Russell
Joe Cocker

And others
forza orsi
bubbadog said:

I might include these:

The Clash in 83 or 84

You score big points for knowing who Michael Hedges is! I saw him at the Majestic in Dallas, not long before he died. Amazing musician, and extremely innovative. He could do really cool stuff with a guitar. He played stuff from jazz, pop, classical, and made them all his own. I was studying classical guitar at the time and he was playing some of the same pieces I was, and he even made Bach seem cool. Not everyone gets to play a guitar like this though.
forza orsi
Best concerts:

• My first one is probably still the best, Led Zeppelin at the Sam Houston Coliseum, 1974.
  • The Eagles, Austin at DKR, the last night of the Hell Freezes Over tour, 1995, was pretty special. They played almost 4 hours. It was supposed to rain buckets, but it held off until after the show and was just a spectacular breezy night with band having a blast on their last night.
  • ZZ Top at Reunion - The Recycler Tour 1990
  • All day concert at Jeppeson Stadium in Houston in 1976, Santana, Doobie Brothers, Marshall Tucker Band, and Pablo Cruise.
  • Loggins & Messina, Hofheinz Pavilion 1975
  • Any one of the 6 Leo Kottke concerts I've made
  • Chicago - the Summit 1976
  • Jerry Jeff Walker and Guy Clark - Hofheinz Pavillion, 1975
  • John Williams, the guitarist, Fort Worth 2012
quash
forza orsi said:

Best concerts:

• My first one is probably still the best, Led Zeppelin at the Sam Houston Coliseum, 1974.
  • The Eagles, Austin at DKR, the last night of the Hell Freezes Over tour, 1995, was pretty special. They played almost 4 hours. It was supposed to rain buckets, but it held off until after the show and was just a spectacular breezy night with band having a blast on their last night.
  • ZZ Top at Reunion - The Recycler Tour 1990
  • All day concert at Jeppeson Stadium in Houston in 1976, Santana, Doobie Brothers, Marshall Tucker Band, and Pablo Cruise.
  • Loggins & Messina, Hofheinz Pavilion 1975
  • Any one of the 6 Leo Kottke concerts I've made
  • Chicago - the Summit 1976
  • Jerry Jeff Walker and Guy Clark - Hofheinz Pavillion, 1975
  • John Williams, the guitarist, Fort Worth 2012

Ha, we were at the same Led Zep and Jerry Jeff concerts.
No Longer Gold
Never been to a concert that was worth the money spent on it.

That includes the times at free concerts at bars.

I would have had a much better time talking with my fiends without all the racket...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.