* * Boosting WiFi signal

6,623 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Ethridge
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Keyser Soze said:

Extenders definitely don't do the same as mesh.. Mesh does not have the lag an extender will have. If you move around, your device stays connected to whichever access point you started out with with extenders - mesh will seamlessly switch to the closest unit.

thanks.

Gotta say, switching from ATT to Spectrum has proven to be quite the upgrade. Hard wired to the modem, I get 487m (400 promised). If the hardware were only upstairs... I dont own the house and he doesnt want any more holes in his 102 year old home.

Lots of old brick walls, the old school plaster, nooks and crannies like you wouldnt believe... Moving the extender two feet one way or the other either decreases the reception from the modem OR decreases the signal to the six devices upstairs.

One hard rule upstairs. Cut the power to whatever device you were using.

I get both 2 and 5g upstairs. No 5g devices but Amazon Prime FireTV seems to run fine on either. Also the PCs and laptop. Obviously not getting 5g speed but they do function fairly well.

Will let you know what I figure out.
CorsicanaBear
Extenders are worthless. They can only give the same (or less) throughput you are getting from the router. The only real answer is mesh with wired backhaul or (currently the best solution in my opinion) a second access point upstairs with a wired connection. I have not yet gone to mesh because a number of problems have yet to be worked out regarding internet of things. Losing connections to cameras, lights etc because they are bouncing around between mesh nodes is frequently reported.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Assassin
So I just ordered the Google Mesh system. Covers up to 4500 sq ft. This old house is 4k so hopefully it will get through the old brick and hard plaster walls.

Should be here this week, will let you know...

Keeping the boxes in case it doesnt work.
Keyser Soze
Assassin said:

So I just ordered the Google Mesh system. Covers up to 4500 sq ft. This old house is 4k so hopefully it will get through the old brick and hard plaster walls.

One unit needs to be wired to your internet - this should be in a central location
william
call leo laporte.

- KKM
>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
Assassin
Keyser Soze said:

Assassin said:

One unit needs to be wired to your internet - this should be in a central location

Kinda limited as to where it comes in and where it goes. Got the Spectrum 400 package. got 487 off the laptop hardwired.
Assassin
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
I was getting 20m on a good day with the Spectrum router and a Netgear Extender. Got the Google Mesh installed - have 400m coming in at the Modem. getting 300 plus upstairs now. 70ish on the 2g cards
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
hodedofome
Glad you finally bit the bullet and got a mesh. It's the best way to go.
Assassin
hodedofome said:

the Google phone app is a killer
Assassin
hodedofome said:

may go ahead and buy a 4th mesh point and add it to the mix. its a really big house
Keyser Soze
I added a 4th mainly to get to the exterior of the house for wireless cameras
Assassin
Keyser Soze said:

I added a 4th mainly to get to the exterior of the house for wireless cameras
figured out most of the app, but one FireTV is still picking up the downstairs mesh point, not the one in the hallwa right outside the door of the room
Assassin
Made some small moves and everything is working correctly. The Google app lets you adjust the exact location of each mesh point to give you your best signal. Getting 400 plus in my upstairs bedroom, Steve is getting 350 plus in his which is between too mesh points. Had 10 devices running simultaneously with no issues a couple of days ago
Brian Ethridge
Staff
We have eero and it works great. App tells you best locations in the house.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.