JOKER movie

2,384 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Oldbear83
HalibutRetro
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking forward to it!

PartyBear
Why does the Joker have so many different back stories? His real name and identity is different in all of them as well. I take it there is no official canon as to this? The original comic never addressed this?
HalibutRetro
I believe the Killing Joke did address his supposed backstory, but he was the one telling it. Like with Ledger's Joker and his multiple backstories, he could have made it up. I don't think there's an official backstory. But I'm not a comic book aficionado, so I obviously defer to the more knowledgeable on this.
contrario
Also I think with several reboots of the comic series over the year, each new writer wanted to put their fingerprint on story lines where they could
Bone Squad
I think the best answer is to say that his backstory is unknown, and will probably never be cleared up. He has given contradictory accounts of his own origins in the comic books (and contrario's comment is probably a fair statement of the real-world reason for it). Instead of choosing one as cannon or attempting to reconcile the stories, DC's approach has been to leave it recognizing that the Joker is an unreliable narrator.

From his own mouth in the comics: "If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"
PartyBear
I did a quick google search on wikipedia. According to them. The first back story was revealed in 1951. The Joker first appeared in the comic in 1940 btw. Again it was Joker telling his back story. But it sounded most closely to the Michael Keaton movie. Joker was a scientist at a chemical lab and was corrupt. Batman raided the lab to catch the bad guys. In his attempt to escape Joker fell into a pool of chemicals that disfigured his face and permantly discolored his skin and hair. He has been out to get Batman since.
trumpetbear
I like the theory that Ledger's joker was former military suffering from some crazy PTSD.
Mitch Blood Green
I can't imagine he being better than Ledger.
Edmond Bear

I like the idea that of all DC characters to have a crazy background/multiple backgrounds, it's Joker.
Golem
The other characters have better backstories. For instance, Mr. Freeze started as a champion Austrian bodybuilder with a penchant for cheesy one liners and political aspirations. After marrying into the local royal family, he became governor of California and was brought low only by the erotic ministrations of a hulking chamber maid. Frozen out of polite society, film and family, he began making low budget action films and trying anything he could get his hands on to remain youthful...enter a toxic mix of dysfunctional cryotherapy chamber, statins and a near fatal dose of icy-hot.
HalibutRetro
HalibutRetro
Mitch Blood Green
PartyBear said:

Why does the Joker have so many different back stories? His real name and identity is different in all of them as well. I take it there is no official canon as to this? The original comic never addressed this?

They're all a bunch of clowns.
HalibutRetro
PartyBear said:

Talking to a friend of mine this week who loves the Batman lore, apparently as part of telling his backstory I think in the Killing Joke, he said he remembers it one way then another. Then says when it comes to his history, he prefers it to be multiple choice.
Redbrickbear
Probably one of the best things about the joker is you can't nail him down.

He is an "agent of chaos" as he said in the movie.

It makes sense for him to NOT have a true back story.

Chaos has always been with us.....it never had a beginning....and so the joker never really had a beginning either.
Oldbear83
Brace yourselves, the Joker is AOC's dad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.