* * Dutch Schroeder

7,211 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Thought some folks not in the Waco area might get a kick out of this.

So many folks have been touched by Dutch's influence over the years. Baylor Baseball coach, assistant in Athletic Department and many other Baylor jobs. Others met him when I would bring him to our Waco lunches.

He lives across the street from Mom. Both about the same age but Mom is still as sharp as a razor. She keeps an eye out for Dutch.

Tim (his son) moved out recently so its just Dutch and his carekeeper there.
On Facebook at "Memories of...":
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
bubbadog
I remember when I was at BU and Dutch showed up at the intramural fields one Saturday morning when we were organizing a pickup softball game. This was in the late 70s, and Dutch was no longer the baseball coach. He was coaching badminton or something.

Here comes this old man wanting to play. He looked like he was 60 years old, which seemed ancient. He doesn't have a regular glove, just this old motorman's mitt that's not much bigger than your hand. I think I was the only one there who recognized him. I don't remember if we actually picked sides, but if we did, he'd have been the last guy picked. He winds up on the other team.

They stick him out in right field. Somebody hits a ball way over his head. Dutch starts tracking back on it, but he's not running hard. It looks like he's totally misjudged the ball and has no clue. It's gonna be a home run. Dutch keeps trotting, never sprints. At the last second he casually sticks out his arm and catches the ball in that little-ass glove. He had it pegged all along. Everybody on our side is shaking their head.

Then he comes up to bat, right-handed. The rover shifts over toward left field. Dutch hits it to right. He doesn't hit it over anyone's head, and he didn't even hit it all that hard. But the hit is perfectly placed in the gap and it rolls forever. Home run. People on our side are asking, "Who the hell is this guy?"

An inning or two later he comes up again. This time he bats left-handed. We're thinking: Seriously? The rover shifts more toward right field. Now he does exactly what he did the last time, except he puts it in the gap in left field. It's rolling so far that he doesn't even have to race around the bases. Another home run. By now guys are cursing and throwing their gloves on the ground in disgust.

Most of the guys never really figured out what had just happened. He was like the baseball version of Uncle Drew. He just owned us.
drahthaar
bubbadog said:

I remember when I was at BU and Dutch showed up at the intramural fields one Saturday morning when we were organizing a pickup softball game. This was in the late 70s, and Dutch was no longer the baseball coach. He was coaching badminton or something.

Here comes this old man wanting to play. He looked like he was 60 years old, which seemed ancient. He doesn't have a regular glove, just this old motorman's mitt that's not much bigger than your hand. I think I was the only one there who recognized him. I don't remember if we actually picked sides, but if we did, he'd have been the last guy picked. He winds up on the other team.

They stick him out in right field. Somebody hits a ball way over his head. Dutch starts tracking back on it, but he's not running hard. It looks like he's totally misjudged the ball and has no clue. It's gonna be a home run. Dutch keeps trotting, never sprints. At the last second he casually sticks out his arm and catches the ball in that little-ass glove. He had it pegged all along. Everybody on our side is shaking their head.

Then he comes up to bat, right-handed. The rover shifts over toward left field. Dutch hits it to right. He doesn't hit it over anyone's head, and he didn't even hit it all that hard. But the hit is perfectly placed in the gap and it rolls forever. Home run. People on our side are asking, "Who the hell is this guy?"

An inning or two later he comes up again. This time he bats left-handed. We're thinking: Seriously? The rover shifts more toward right field. Now he does exactly what he did the last time, except he puts it in the gap in left field. It's rolling so far that he doesn't even have to race around the bases. Another home run. By now guys are cursing and throwing their gloves on the ground in disgust.

Most of the guys never really figured out what had just happened. He was like the baseball version of Uncle Drew. He just owned us.

Great story!
Assassin
bubbadog said:

good stuff bubba. sounds like something Dutch would do.
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
Assassin
BTW - he's really having some memory issues these days. If any of you played for him or knew him from school and wanted to say hello, it may be hit and miss.

Stranger
Dutch is one of a kind. Great Baylor Bear.
Funky Town Bear
He was one of my favorite professors. I remember taking his badmitton class. He owned every one. He is one of the most amazing people I have ever met.
KOKQB70
Can't believe I'm first one posting who played for him, 1970. He was tough but fair, and never forget Fall of 70 @ Minglewood, maybe days after he cut me from Varsity Baseball, he watched many of his Varsity players in touch football playoff game from Martin play boys from Kokernot Hall, life long memories!
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
My mother met him when he played for the old Temple semi pro team. They are lifelong friends.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Canada2017
bubbadog said:

Good read
Noghri
I took his badmitton class in 94.

First day he said if anyone beat him in a game, they got an A and never had to come back.

Nobody beat him.
Assassin
The latest on Dutch. He has left the nursing home and moved up to Clifton and is happy up there staying at his daughters house
KOKQB70
Thanks A, just happened to check this thread, Dutch was special man, still is, sad day when/if he passes.
Assassin
KOK QB 70 said:

Thanks A, just happened to check this thread, Dutch was special man, still is, sad day when/if he passes.
heck, he's too ornery to die. he'll probably being doing that little Irish jig of his on our graves!
SSadler
bubba, tell us the story of Dutch's "encounter" with a certain UT pitcher who went on to MLB Hall of Fame.

The "encounter" included fisticuffs and a chickensh*tt UT pitcher getting physical with a "senior" BU baseball coach Dutch Shroeder--somewhere, if memory is halfway correct--at the old Dutton Street Park between the pitchers mound and BU duggout.

Dutch wouldn't back down from nobody.

Any details you want to add to the narrative???
Assassin
SSadler said:

bubba, tell us the story of Dutch's "encounter" with a certain UT pitcher who went on to MLB Hall of Fame.

The "encounter" included fisticuffs and a chickensh*tt UT pitcher getting physical with a "senior" BU baseball coach Dutch Shroeder--somewhere, if memory is halfway correct--at the old Dutton Street Park between the pitchers mound and BU duggout.

Dutch was the whole 'neighborhood watch' on Mom's street. He walk up and down Lake *****wood, take trash cans in if they were out of the curb, let you know if you left a light on all night, just a great friend to my Mom. Oh, and he would hit on Mom all the time. Pretty funny when you consider they are a couple of nonagenarians
drahthaar
SSadler said:

I recall it involved James Street knocking Dutch silly.
KOKQB70
Geez guys, I was there!!! I was freshman player, on bench in Austin, when James Street chest bumped Dutch to ground between 3rd base and home plate after hard tag out on squeeze play and Dutch ran to home plate umpire to complain, never made it cause James Street blindsided him.!
KOKQB70
Wow, 49 years ago, never forget...Street was AA quarterback for Whorns just few months after winning nat. championship in 69, he got slap on wrist, no suspension, we lost game 2-1 or 3-2, amazing how memory remembers some things, but Dutch was amazing and tough back then, he was younger too, ha.
SATXBear
Great thread
deemus
I met Dutch when I was about 8 or 9. He and my dad were friends. He was one of the few grown ups that would talk baseball with a kid.
Assassin
deemus said:

I met Dutch when I was about 8 or 9. He and my dad were friends. He was one of the few grown ups that would talk baseball with a kid.
One of the good guys. Just dont get on his bad side!
Assassin
I just spoke with Mom. She and a few friends drove out to Clifton today to visit Dutch. He is doing well, a few memory problems but that is to be expected when you're a bit short of a century old!

Other than that, he is doing well. Photos to come (hopefully)
KOKQB70
Assassin, new photos of Dutch would be priceless, and so many would appreciate.
Assassin
KOK QB 70 said:

Mom works on a different pace from me...
Assassin
KOK QB 70 said:

Assassin
Dutch's girls!
Assassin
Just asked Mom about Dutch. He is in a nursing home in Clifton so he can be close to his daughter. He fell and broke his hip around Halloween and did a bit of therapy but it doesnt sound like it went so well. I think he is in his later 90s so the body doesnt heal itself so well.

Thats all I have right now. Will update as I hear
airforcebear
Roger Goree checks on Dutch regularly up in Clifton. His daughter is now married to Lawrence Elkins. My Softball and Baseball tickets were with Dutch and his wife while she was alive. We are a bit on the 3rd base side behind home plate...perfect place for her to harass the umpire and tell him how wrong he was! She was always dressed elegantly, usually green and gold! Wonderful couple, and Dutch is truly brilliant. What is not widely known is that he has a PhD. He still was pissed about the James Street incident, and not a damned thing was done to Street (in the big picture.) Bert Hooten was the other starter for UT, and the saying was, "Hooten and Street, and pray for sleet!"

For a while his daughter had a B&B around 2000 Austin Avenue.
Assassin
airforcebear said:

Roger Goree checks on Dutch regularly up in Clifton. His daughter is now married to Lawrence Elkins. My Softball and Baseball tickets were with Dutch and his wife while she was alive. We are a bit on the 3rd base side behind home plate...perfect place for her to harass the umpire and tell him how wrong he was! She was always dressed elegantly, usually green and gold! Wonderful couple, and Dutch is truly brilliant. What is not widely known is that he has a PhD. He still was pissed about the James Street incident, and not a damned thing was done to Street (in the big picture.) Bert Hooten was the other starter for UT, and the saying was, "Hooten and Street, and pray for sleet!"

they still had it maybe 4-5 years ago. Dutch would go by and work on it sometimes
airforcebear
One of Dutch's favorite students was a classmate of mine at Conroe HS and then at Baylor. At our 20th reunion I asked Ell about what he was doing. He had written a book about fitness. He told me that he and a friend were developing a system by which you could have a gym in your home. Well, what are you calling it? He said, "we are calling it Nautilus."..!!!! Fast forward 20 more years..."Ell, do you still have Nautilus?" "No, we have started another company, and we are calling it Bowflex!" True story, and Dutch may have helped with it. My classmate/friend is "Ell Darden"...(Ellington). Very nice fellow. BS and MS from Baylor,and a Phd from Florida State in Kinesiology.
Assassin
airforcebear said:

One of Dutch's favorite students was a classmate of mine at Conroe HS and then at Baylor. At our 20th reunion I asked Ell about what he was doing. He had written a book about fitness. He told me that he and a friend were developing a system by which you could have a gym in your home. Well, what are you calling it? He said, "we are calling it Nautilus."..!!!! Fast forward 20 more years..."Ell, do you still have Nautilus?" "No, we have started another company, and we are calling it Bowflex!" True story, and Dutch may have helped with it. My classmate/friend is "Ell Darden"...(Ellington). Very nice fellow. BS and MS from Baylor,and a Phd from Florida State in Kinesiology.

Ell Darden probably has more equipment sitting around in peoples garage than Chevrolet!
Assassin

Assassin
Assassin said:

btw - I really didnt care she couldnt do the tricep whatchmacallit....
Nguyen One Soon
airforcebear said:

Was leaving a game at Baylor Ballpark in 2016 in my truck and waited for Dutch and Betty Lou to cross in front of me. I pulled up beside them and talked a bit. Wound up telling Dutch he was an inspiration for me, including my preferred method of death. With a puzzled look on his face, he asked me to explain. "Well, when I'm about your age, I want to get shot by a jealous husband." Betty Lou laughed all the way to their car.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.