I heard the old school IHOP by campus has two more months.

4,331 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dia del DougO
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Too bad Baylor couldn't figure out a way to coexist. I personally think joints like that (being a barely modified early 70s IHOP) right by campus add some character to campuses.
Stranger
PartyBear said:

Too bad Baylor couldn't figure out a way to coexist. I personally think joints like that (being a barely modified early 70s IHOP) right by campus add some character to campuses.

You apparently don't get the mindset at Baylor. The BOR wants to wipe away any trace or recollection of any form of tradition or nostalgia at Baylor. They want Baylor to have a completely new image . . . theirs.
OsoCoreyell
I don't think it is evil for Baylor to not want the entrance to the university to be an Exxon station and an IHOP. Believe it or not, there is no way to make it 1974 again. I'm sorry about that.

I also heard that the BOR wanted to cancel Christmas!

Geeze. Drama much?
bularry
Stranger said:

PartyBear said:

You apparently don't get the mindset at Baylor. The BOR wants to wipe away any trace or recollection of any form of tradition or nostalgia at Baylor. They want Baylor to have a completely new image . . . theirs.

Dude, what are you rambling about?

It's a fn IHOP It serves poison
william
The tragic demise of the original Arby's - conestoga wagon building w/ giant neon cowboy hat sign - should have been a clue.

America is in moral decline.

A rapid oxygen-deprived Mach II descent into MediocriBurbia.

Soon it'll be the rancid Starbucks, McDs, Panera Bread, Dysentery Hut (aka Chipotle) and the Beverly Hills Drive Thru Boob Barns.

World Gone Wrong.

- KKM

Dale?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
william said:

The tragic demise of the original Arby's - conestoga wagon building w/ giant neon cowboy hat sign - should have been a clue.

Soon it'll be the rancid Starbucks, McDs, Panera Bread, Dysentery Hut (aka Chipotle) and the Beverly Hills Drive Thru Boob Barns.

World Gone Wrong.

- KKM

drahthaar
Stranger said:

PartyBear said:

It all got started when the old Smokehouse burned.
Stranger
witchmo said:

Stranger said:

PartyBear said:

Exactly. Then they tore down Baylor Drug, Pete's College Inn, The Golden Cue and the KuKu Burger. All in the vision of green space and a beautiful, non-worldly Baylor.
drahthaar
Stranger said:

witchmo said:

Stranger said:

PartyBear said:

Exactly. Then they tore down Baylor Drug, Pete's College Inn, The Golden Cue and the KuKu Burger. All in the vision of green space and a beautiful, non-worldly Baylor.

Are they building a wall?
Stranger
witchmo said:

Stranger said:

witchmo said:

Stranger said:

PartyBear said:

Are they building a wall?

We were at the Vatican last fall and they have a forty foot wall around that place probably to keep sin outside. Even though the Pope doesn't want Trump to build a wall he sees the value of having a wall for his ownself.

Same with Baylor. Keep the rest of the world outside the Baylor Bubble. Baylor students can't be exposed to Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity pancakes or the #9 at the Smokehouse.
william
Brian Ethridge said:

william said:

World Gone Wrong.

- KKM

I weep.

- BUmma

post among yourselves................................

Dale?
PartyBear
Is that the sign from the old Arby's on Valley Mills Dr? If so, I was going to mention they still have the original late 60s sign in front of it. I personally think it is cool they have been able to keep the sign. Usually a franchise has to modify signage and building look when they the company comes out with a new look. I like the old vintage looks of some of these type places which is why I hate to see the old IHOP go.
Edmond Bear

I had a roommate who enjoyed the IHOP tradition of bringing home gold-toothed waitresses. He shared a room with a third roommate who would wake up and see him and the waitress post-coital buck naked. Not one of those girls could make a pancake worth a flip.

BellCountyBear
I know it's aggy, but I wish Baylor would do something like this in that green zone next to I35. Seems like it would be a win/win. UT has something similar as well.

https://www.texasamhotelcc.com/college_station_accommodations/?msclkid=7782c5021bb71c40e8219907aaf99955&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=LOB%20LRN%20-%20Brand&utm_term=a%26m%20hotel%20and%20conference%20center&utm_content=AG%20-%20Brand%20Combined%20-%20RLSA
Edmond Bear

Seems like it would be possible, especially now. That's just a Benchmark hotel with aggie branding.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Edmond Bear said:

Seems like it would be possible, especially now. That's just a Benchmark hotel with aggie branding.
TCU already pulled in LaQuinta. Maybe Baylor can land Hilton or Marriott.
Stranger
Brian Ethridge said:

Edmond Bear said:

Baylor has had LaQuinta for decades and it recently got torn down, along with Denny's.
Malbec
PartyBear said:

Is that the sign from the old Arby's on Valley Mills Dr? If so, I was going to mention they still have the original late 60s sign in front of it. I personally think it is cool they have been able to keep the sign. Usually a franchise has to modify signage and building look when they the company comes out with a new look.
From the time that they served RC products. The only place in town where you could get a fountain Bubble Up.
Hubbs
Brian Ethridge said:

william said:

World Gone Wrong.

- KKM

America's Roast Beef, Yes Sir!
BearChick
Brian Ethridge said:

Edmond Bear said:

I believe you mean TCU IS a LaQuinta.
Redbrickbear
Edmond Bear said:

lol thinking the same thing.

Guess its another decent revenue stream.

Ugly as heck though.
BearTooth
I wrote several papers in the corner booth of that IHOP in the early 80s surrounded by books, notes, scraps of high-carb foods and troughs of coffee.

Guy Noir
I drank a lot of coffee at that IHOP.
Wichitabear
That was horrible
Fat Daddy
Progress is great .... until you turn 60 and just want to reminisce!
Wichitabear
That Baylor ID might get you into heaven but not out of IHOP. Lol That's what they said to us one time as we were leaving and paying the bill.
cowboycwr
Stranger said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Edmond Bear said:

Baylor has had LaQuinta for decades and it recently got torn down, along with Denny's.
The LaQuinta built a new nice one right across the interstate.

Denny's decided their locations at new road and north of Waco (Bellmead) were enough.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Stranger said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Edmond Bear said:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/10/does-tcus-campus-resemble-la-quinta-inns-reddit-users-think-so
william
LAQ started in SA by Sam Barshop and family.

- KKM

great family.

RIP SB.

edit: SB was born in Huaco.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?n=sam-barshop&pid=168473786&fhid=15386

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/11/business/sam-barshop-hotels-founder-dies-at-84.html
Dia del DougO
Brian Ethridge said:

william said:

World Gone Wrong.

- KKM

Panera Bread does have good coffee, though.. It's not like that Starbuck's swill.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.