Lennon or McCartney?

2,573 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Yogi
Max Quad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Best songwriter? Lennon, MccCartney, Harrison or Starr?
Stranger
Max Quad said:

Early Beatles. . . the team of Lennon and McCartney.

After 1968 . . . George Harrison

william
Fetterman2024
Keyser Soze

Seriously no right answer to this.

Some serious stereo types get put on them that are not correct. Lennon wrote maybe my favorite ballad, Norwegian Wood. McCartney wrote Helter Skelter - the closest thing to metal the Beatles ever did. They both did a variety of music.

Mitch Blood Green
Keyser Soze said:

Some serious stereo types get put on them that are not correct. Lennon wrote maybe my favorite ballad, Norwegian Wood. McCartney wrote Helter Skelter - the closest thing to metal the Beatles ever did. They both did a variety of music.

McCarthy. Lennon hasn't written **** in 30 years.
Keyser Soze
tommie said:

Keyser Soze said:

dark Tommie watch out for karma

BearTooth
Stranger said:

Max Quad said:

Early Beatles. . . the team of Lennon and McCartney.

After 1968 . . . George Harrison

Harrison's All Things Must Pass was tremendous, and was mostly work that John and Paul rejected for whatever reason.
Keyser Soze
Wings > Plastic Ono Band
Mitch Blood Green
Keyser Soze said:

tommie said:

Keyser Soze said:

dark Tommie watch out for karma

What did I do?
JETHRO
http://www.myrsten.nu/worldnet/beatlesongs.htm
Y'all come back, Y'hear!
BellCountyBear
Lennon made poor choices in women.

Harrison's "Give Me Love" is a masterpiece.
JETHRO
I assumed they were equal, but looking at the list of the songs when they were together, I think McCartney had more hits.

Love Me Do
P.S. I Love You
Cant Buy Me Love
Eight Days a Week
Yesterday
Eleanor Rigby
Yellow Submarine
When Im 64
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
With a Little Help From My Friends
Blackbird
Helter Skelter
Rocky Raccoon
Back in the USSR
Maxwells Silver Hammer
Get Back
Let It Be
Penny Lane
Hey Jude

Solo, Lennon became an anti-war icon.
Y'all come back, Y'hear!
Hob Howelll
McCartney. I just don't care for most of Lennon's post Beatles work. I blame Yoko Ono - she has absolutely zero talent in anything relating to art or music
STxBear81
More like yucko ono. McCartney >Lennon. Although the whole band was ultra gifted. Incredible talent
Pablo Fanque
McCartney was a stronger musician than John. He played multiple instruments and taught John how to play proper guitar chords. (When John and Paul first met, John was playing banjo chords - i.e., only five strings - on his guitar because his mother had known how to play banjo and taught him those chords.) Paul initially played bass in The Beatles because the others didn't know how (and George was probably a better lead guitarist). And he could get on the piano whenever the power went out and they needed to play an acoustic set.

Because of his stronger musical skill, Paul was a more diverse songwriter than John or George.You see it most clearly on the white album; Paul's contributions seem to be a genre challenge. Can I write a country sounding song? Here's "Rocky Raccoon." Can I write a rocker? Here's "Helter Skelter." Can I write a parody/pastiche of the Beach Boys? Here's "Back in the USSR." Can I write a 1920's dance hall number? Here's "Martha My Dear."

Lennon had less range in his composition, but he also was more inclined to push into weird and experimental areas. Think "Tomorrow Never Knows," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "I Am the Walrus," and so on, not to mention "Revolution No. 9," which I always skipped. John also had a more acerbic wit (though George showed some of that in later years, such as in "Piggies"), and that made his songs fun to listen to.

George grew tremendously as a songwriter over the short life of the Beatles, with "Something" and "Here Comes the Sun" some of the best songs the Beatles did. He also learned to play sitar, which allowed the group to go into weird Indian-influenced areas, especially on "Within You, Without You." George also brought us "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," and his three album set All Things Must Pass after the break-up shows what he had been doing while John and Paul (and maybe George Martin?) were ignoring his stuff in the later Beatles years.

Ringo wasn't much of a writer, though "Don't Pass Me By" was a nice contribution.

My vote goes to Paul because of his greater diversity, but in the end a person's answer to this question is a matter of taste, like a favorite ice cream flavor or a favorite type of beer or soda. However, all of them were better when they were around each other, pushing each other to improve their songs and helping around the edges. That's why the early Lennon/McCartney stuff was so good, and "A Day in the Life" is IMO the best song that John and Paul really wrote together.
Keyser Soze
Good stuff Pablo - and thanks for helping out the Kite family
Jack Bauer
Yogi
Max Quad said:

Ultimately, George Harrison.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.