What's with the BEAR TRAIL? It's time to go away

4,168 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ludwig von Missi
Stranger
How long do you want to ignore this user?

What a total waste of band width!

Although I've never visited those threads (I'm either too old or not a student) I can see no purpose for this section of sicem365.com.

From the looks of it, one topic had a post 16 days ago. The rest of them have not been active in as few as one month and as many as three months.

With such a pitiful showing, I'd say it's time to piss on the fire and call in the dogs. The hunts over.

A bigger question is does this mean that this site, which is a mediocre attempt to replicate the erstwhile baylorfans.com, has no appeal to the student body fan base?

Are the snowflakes and millennials no longer passionate for Baylor sports in the manner that their fore-bearers have. Or do they get their information about professors, sororities, etc. somewhere other than this here website?

Thoughts fellow Baylor Fans?
Edmond Bear

It's just not well marketed. Kids don't know about it.

I asked my freshman daughter about it "What's that?" she asked. Then, she asked her roommates. Small sample. But, none of them had any idea.
Grumpy
I thought at first that you were against the running trails around the Baylor campus.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I thought you were talking about this bear trail.

"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
bularry
Stranger said:

Although I've never visited those threads (I'm either too old or not a student) I can see no purpose for this section of sicem365.com.

From the looks of it, one topic had a post 16 days ago. The rest of them have not been active in as few as one month and as many as three months.

With such a pitiful showing, I'd say it's time to piss on the fire and call in the dogs. The hunts over.

A bigger question is does this mean that this site, which is a mediocre attempt to replicate the erstwhile baylorfans.com, has no appeal to the student body fan base?

Are the snowflakes and millennials no longer passionate for Baylor sports in the manner that their fore-bearers have. Or do they get their information about professors, sororities, etc. somewhere other than this here website?

No one trying to replace the garbage can that was baylorfans. Except you, of course
Stranger
bularry said:

Stranger said:

No one trying to replace the garbage can that was baylorfans. Except you, of course

You might be surprised.

baylorfans.com was not overpopulated with lock-step Pollyannas which made it slightly more interesting than this stuffy place.

Anytime you separate the haves from the have-nots with a few shekels that tends to happen.

Like I said, the students care the least.
Bear8084
bularry said:

Stranger said:

This is 100 times better than Baylorfans. Hands down.
Stranger
Bear8084 said:

bularry said:

Stranger said:

Maybe you never spent much time there. They had features this place doesn't. In comparison, this place is a little sterile and void of much personality.
Friscobear
You should just drop the "r" at the end of your user name.
“At the end of the day, for 40 minutes, we just kicked their ass.”

- Mark Vital
Bear8084
Stranger said:

Bear8084 said:

bularry said:

Stranger said:

Maybe you never spent much time there. They had features this place doesn't. In comparison, this place is a little sterile and void of much personality.
Spent plenty. This place is better.
Stranger
Bear8084 said:

Stranger said:

Bear8084 said:

bularry said:

Stranger said:

Spent plenty. This place is better.

Guess that's why they make Fords and Chevrolets. Not everyone likes the same things.

. . . and apparently not many like the Bear Trail.
Gunny Hartman
I have a question myself. Why is a grown ass man so incredibly concerned about how regular college kids spend their free time? Perhaps he should change his handle to 'Stranger danger' or the more succinct 'Creeper.'
RebelT
How is someone that doesn't even know that bandwidth is one word going to pretend that they can possibly comprehend whether or not something is a waste of it or not?
I still don't know why KenPom likes our offense. - croyse
BaylorOkie
The ones that do use the forum probably play their music too dang loud.
Keyser Soze

For a good student forum you need a good VPN so nothing said could get back to them

SSadler
I'll jump in on this one, and try to follow the wise advice of Professor Robert Reid quoting Socrates (?) . . . "Always stand in the middle of the boat." (think about it)

Stranger is a man of many interests and noble heritage/pursuits. The old baylorfans at its best seemed a designed match for his breadth of interest and thought and wit. (And it did happen to be free; and it did happen to have a distinct place not just in chat boards, but in the real, bona fide history of Baylor University presidential history.)

Sic'em owners never set out with a Stranger-kind of reader in mind. Sic'em was in its origin a recruiting site--and the best there was. But over time, with certain demise in some parts of baylorfans such that many (myself included) left that site, interest (pressure?) was aimed Sic'em's way to expand its topics and stand in the gap of the diminishing baylorfans site. Sic'em's passion is not for who's a favorite professor and/or which administrators should be fired and/or which Sing acts should make Pigskin. Baylor politics which Stranger (and I) enjoyed rumbling around in has never been a priority for Sic'em.

Two sites; overlapping objectives at places; but not mirrors of each in terms of priorities and purposes.

i'll keep paying for Sic'em and feel I get ALL my money's worth. AND I'd even pay for Stranger to start a site for all of his various, broad, and noble ruminations on all things Baylor.

just 2 cents worth. hope that's fair.
Stranger
SSadler said:

I'll jump in on this one, and try to follow the wise advice of Professor Robert Reid quoting Socrates (?) . . . "Always stand in the middle of the boat." (think about it)

Stranger is a man of many interests and noble heritage/pursuits. The old baylorfans at its best seemed a designed match for his breadth of interest and thought and wit. (And it did happen to be free; and it did happen to have a distinct place not just in chat boards, but in the real, bona fide history of Baylor University presidential history.)

Sic'em owners never set out with a Stranger-kind of reader in mind. Sic'em was in its origin a recruiting site--and the best there was. But over time, with certain demise in some parts of baylorfans such that many (myself included) left that site, interest (pressure?) was aimed Sic'em's way to expand its topics and stand in the gap of the diminishing baylorfans site. Sic'em's passion is not for who's a favorite professor and/or which administrators should be fired and/or which Sing acts should make Pigskin. Baylor politics which Stranger (and I) enjoyed rumbling around in has never been a priority for Sic'em.

Two sites; overlapping objectives at places; but not mirrors of each in terms of priorities and purposes.

i'll keep paying for Sic'em and feel I get ALL my money's worth. AND I'd even pay for Stranger to start a site for all of his various, broad, and noble ruminations on all things Baylor.

Well my Daddy said fair came once a year, first week of October, in Dallas.

. . . for whatever that's worth.

As for the rest of your missive, I'd say you were pretty right on. And I thank you for your somewhat kind words. In reference to my wit, most would agree you are half-right.

I never linked my approach to baylorfans as a good fit, but I believe you may be correct. My musings were praised as well as reviled over there, which is as it should be.

What turned into great fodder for literary efforts was the Great War against the Baylor Alumni Association waged by a couple of sorry-ass regents and ex-regents (and a few equally low-life fellow travelers) for the sole purpose of gaining complete control of the message at old Bear High. It was kinda like a paraphrase of a Johnny Cash song . . . I shot the BAA in Waco, just to watch it die.

They wanted a new Baylor in their own narcissistic image.

Anyway, total victory was not claimed by either camp and Baylor is certainly not any better for the collateral damage that occurred. For many of us, the true spirit and familial feelings of Baylor are lost and gone forever, dreadful sorry, Clementine.

In a way I miss those battles. Like Patton said, "war. I love it. My God I love it so".

Perhaps you are correct when you say sicem365 ain't my cup of tea. There seems to be no real sense of football history over here. Most don't appreciate that historical insight that guys like you and offer. Maybe they don't understand that we've seen this train wreck before. They see little Matty for what he tells us he is. I see him for the guys he resembles from our sorry football past.

I am a life-long Baylor fan so I hope I'm wrong. I'll always pull for the Bears, but can still wish for a different coach.

Thanks for granting me a forum today. Forgive me of any rants I undertake. This is, after all, intended to be entertainment.

Beat the Commodores!
The Old BEAR
A complete page should be named after "The old BEAR & 0-11"
After all, they were totally responsible for the resurgence of this website.
Stranger
Doug said:

A complete page should be named after "The old BEAR & 0-11"
After all, they were totally responsible for the resurgence of this website.

It sure might make this here place a little more lively and fun.
TenBears
Isn't the real answer that teens and twenty somethings dont use email/twitter/FB, much less website based "chat boards".

All for a new Stranger/0-11 based grumpy old guy board. Would be gold.
WILLIS
Bingo, message boards are archaic
william
WILLIS said:

not sure about archaic - but they may be a bit past their prime - and not as ingrained in the next generation's pop culture.

- LFS

Stranger

The Old BEAR
william said:

WILLIS said:

not sure about archaic - but they may be a bit past their prime - and not as ingrained in the next generation's pop culture.

- LF
The "Next Generation"...??
The Old BEAR would have referred to them as the Pencil Necked Punks.
Ludwig von Missi
Stranger said:

SSadler said:

Well my Daddy said fair came once a year, first week of October, in Dallas.

. . . for whatever that's worth.

As for the rest of your missive, I'd say you were pretty right on. And I thank you for your somewhat kind words. In reference to my wit, most would agree you are half-right.

I never linked my approach to baylorfans as a good fit, but I believe you may be correct. My musings were praised as well as reviled over there, which is as it should be.

What turned into great fodder for literary efforts was the Great War against the Baylor Alumni Association waged by a couple of sorry-ass regents and ex-regents (and a few equally low-life fellow travelers) for the sole purpose of gaining complete control of the message at old Bear High. It was kinda like a paraphrase of a Johnny Cash song . . . I shot the BAA in Waco, just to watch it die.

They wanted a new Baylor in their own narcissistic image.

Anyway, total victory was not claimed by either camp and Baylor is certainly not any better for the collateral damage that occurred. For many of us, the true spirit and familial feelings of Baylor are lost and gone forever, dreadful sorry, Clementine.

In a way I miss those battles. Like Patton said, "war. I love it. My God I love it so".

Perhaps you are correct when you say sicem365 ain't my cup of tea. There seems to be no real sense of football history over here. Most don't appreciate that historical insight that guys like you and offer. Maybe they don't understand that we've seen this train wreck before. They see little Matty for what he tells us he is. I see him for the guys he resembles from our sorry football past.

I am a life-long Baylor fan so I hope I'm wrong. I'll always pull for the Bears, but can still wish for a different coach.

Thanks for granting me a forum today. Forgive me of any rants I undertake. This is, after all, intended to be entertainment.

Beat the Commodores!
You just say a lot of stupid **** and people call you out on it. That's why you don't like this site.

You just can't help yourself. You can't just say, "I'm not sold on Matt Rhule," which would be a perfectly defensible position. You have to say, "Matt Rhule is worse than Kevin Steele," which is straight up idiotic.

You said we fired Matt Knoll because of budgetary issues...and then we went out and hired the best coach in all of college tennis.

Stop with the woe is me people don't appreciate my knowledge act. When you're constantly saying stupid things, don't get butthurt when it isn't well received.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.