I've never been on a cruise. Do you recommenced it and if so What Trip w/ Company.

5,559 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by beardoc
BylrFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did you manage to have any fun?
saabing bear
Went to Cozumel several years ago. January is a great time.
Stranger
Been on several in the last 40 years. Carnival is good if you like cheap and a big party. Food ain't great but there's plenty of it.

The best lines are Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. Princess and Celebrity (owned by Royal Caribbean) are also good lines.

Best trip we've been on was a Greek Island cruise. It's the best way to see the Mediterranean. Our trip last in 2017 on Celebrity and went from Athens to Mykonos, Delos, Rhodes, Galilee, Jerusalem, Crete, Malta and finished in Rome. All were great destinations. Absolutely the best way to see it. We added on five days in Rome which compares well with Paris as to history, art and architecture.
beardoc
If you're looking for the floating Las Vegas experience, the large cruise ships are the way to go. If you want history, culture, etc consider the smaller ships, including river cruises. The Danube and Rhine are great trips. We have done Alaska, the Galapagos, and the Greek coast with National Geographic/Lindblad. The ships carry 50-70 passengers, but they send their photographers and wildlife/history people with them. The smaller ports and more flexibility on where we went beat out the massive buffets and floor shows.
4th and Inches
We dd 10 days on the QM2 a while back... it was a nice experience, lots of food and entertainment opportunities. Booked an expedition at every port. We thought of it as a floating hotel and travel system Go to sleep after watchng a comedy act or dance show and wake up the next day in a different port.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
BaylorOkie
It's my favorite way to travel. IMO, all of the cruise lines are excellent. Choosing the right ship and itinerary is important. I have a Carnival points card and we have used it to take our family on cruises the past couple of years. We went on the two newest ships and they were great. We've also liked RCC and Norwegian.

One thing we learned this past summer is it makes a big difference which departing port you choose. We sailed out of New York City and being on a ship with a few thousend east coast people is much different then a few thousand people sailing out of a southern US port. We won't do New York again for that reason.

I agree that the food on Carnival is good, not great. But it's certainly good enough and the specialty restaurants are excellent. But I don't really cruise for the food so that's not important to me.

Get a balcony room, worth the extra money over a window room.
BaylorOkie
Gruvin said:

We thought of it as a floating hotel and travel system Go to sleep after watchng a comedy act or dance show and wake up the next day in a different port.

That's one of the great things about cruising. You are going to see different places but you don't have to pack up and move to a different hotel to do so. Your room is cleaned and serviced twice a day. The service is excellent.
CHP Bear
BaylorOkie said:

It's my favorite way to travel. IMO, all of the cruise lines are excellent. Choosing the right ship and itinerary is important. I have a Carnival points card and we have used it to take our family on cruises the past couple of years. We went on the two newest ships and they were great. We've also liked RCC and Norwegian.

One thing we learned this past summer is it makes a big difference which departing port you choose. We sailed out of New York City and being on a ship with a few thousend east coast people is much different then a few thousand people sailing out of a southern US port. We won't do New York again for that reason.

I agree that the food on Carnival is good, not great. But it's certainly good enough and the specialty restaurants are excellent. But I don't really cruise for the food so that's not important to me.

Get a balcony room, worth the extra money over a window room.
Ditto the balcony room.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
If you have a family, grab a suite. We've done that and enjoyed the extra room. Last one we took had our nanny and three kids in it and never felt cramped.

Royal and Disney are our favorites and the food is better on Disney, plus they lo-jack your kids so you know where they are on the boat.
Stranger
Brian Ethridge said:

If you have a family, grab a suite. We've done that and enjoyed the extra room. Last one we took had our nanny and three kids in it and never felt cramped.

Royal and Disney are our favorites and the food is better on Disney, plus they lo-jack your kids so you know where they are on the boat.

I forgot to mention Disney. We've been on three Disney cruises. We have a tradition of taking each grandchild individually on a Disney cruise when they are seven years old. It's the perfect age because they are old enough to remember it but they still buy into the Mickey Mouse, Disney princess magic.

Disney does things right. It's sorta scripted, especially after the third time but the children love it. As Bryan mentioned, the have a program where the adults can park the kid with a secure "camp" for a few hours where the adults can have time together and take a break. By the way, our grandchildren looked forward to checking in to camp every day.
BaylorOkie
That's a great tradition, good on you and your wife. The two newest Carnival ships have Camp Ocean, where you can drop the kids off. We took full advantage.
bularry
Never been on a cruise and never will.

I could see the appeal of Med cruise or Disney with a family. But in general I don't get the mass popularity
william
is there a body of water that connect huaco to bremond?

PA.

- UL

... and, as always, TIA.

BID.

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }

Fetterman2024
Pablo Fanque
william said:

is there a body of water that connect huaco to bremond?

PA.

- UL

... and, as always, TIA.

BID.

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }

El Rio de los Brazos de Dios is a few miles from Bremond, but it's quite a portage.
Mr Tulip
I cruised last July out of Galveston down to Belize and Honduras on Royal Caribbean. As the prime mover of materials in my family, I enjoyed very much the "set your bags down here, and we'll take care of everything else" nature of the trip!

The destination really isn't important. You're unlikely to get enough time at any one place to get to experience that nation in any detail. You can go horseback riding in <wherever> or zip lining through the jungle of <some other place>. It's all beautiful, it's all fun, but very superficial.

The point of the cruise is to be on the boat. Our boat was the Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston, TX. It was very comfortable, accessible, and easy to navigate. Plenty of space. The staterooms were adequate but not exactly relevant since there wasn't much reason to hang out in them. Remember to bring evening wear, since several of the dining options and shows expect it.

This summer, I'm trying the Allure of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale, FL. It's much larger, so we'll see if bigger is better, or if I just get lost. One thing I'm changing is purchasing the drinks plan. Basically alcoholic drinks start at like $12 each. The "call" ones are more like $16-$20 each. There's an "unlimited" purchase plan that goes like $70 per day. I can drink that before noon, so I'm going that route.

My kids will be 18 and 13 by that point, for reference. If it were just my wife and I, we might be better planned going to a European River cruise or staying landlocked altogether some place where I can spend a week or so in one place. But for moving around and letting everyone have access to stuff they'd like to do in a diverse environment, I did enjoy myself the last time. Very little stress or difficulty.
william
do any of these fancy ships have an arby's on board?

better yet, is there an arby's themed cruise liner?

PA.

- UL

... and, as always, TIA.

BID.

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }

D!
Fetterman2024
RegentCoverup
I'll never get on a cruise ship again in my life. My last cruise experience was Royal Caribbean. I wouldn't go cheaper than that. But that's my preference.
If I want to be locked on a boat with drunk people, I can do that for free. Cruises favor the passenger who wants to sit. Sit and eat. Sit and gamble. Sit and watch a play. So if you're older, don't like to have to walk a lot of change beds, then a cruise is for you. I don't want to discourage anyone that wants that, just saying cruise ships aren't a good mix for hyper active types.
Mr Tulip
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

I'll never get on a cruise ship again in my life. My last cruise experience was Royal Caribbean. I wouldn't go cheaper than that. But that's my preference.
If I want to be locked on a boat with drunk people, I can do that for free. Cruises favor the passenger who wants to sit. Sit and eat. Sit and gamble. Sit and watch a play. So if you're older, don't like to have to walk a lot of change beds, then a cruise is for you. I don't want to discourage anyone that wants that, just saying cruise ships aren't a good mix for hyper active types.

That's the main point, either good or bad, of the cruise I've been on. The boat is the thing. Yes, you'll be in port three or so days, but you won't get far. The boat will be there in the morning, you can do what you will, but need to be back by the evening. If you don't enjoy the boat, you won't enjoy the cruise.
RegentCoverup
Mr Tulip said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

That's the main point, either good or bad, of the cruise I've been on. The boat is the thing. Yes, you'll be in port three or so days, but you won't get far. The boat will be there in the morning, you can do what you will, but need to be back by the evening. If you don't enjoy the boat, you won't enjoy the cruise.
I'm trying not to say elderly, but some people won't ever see certainly places, ie. Europe unless they are carted around. Boats can make that in leisurely, luxury time. So I do understand the appeal. You can see the top part of a handful of places quickly without having to invest too much effort. That fits a certain person, for sure. The food is always, and the service is usually..good.
Mr Tulip
I see it as a lot like Vegas. You can get a room, see entertainment, eat, and goof off without ever going outside. The cruise ship I was on had all of that. I went ice skating (sort of - considering my Michigan birthplace), ate in a formal dining room 5 nights with lobster and all sorts of hoity toity stuff. There were several swimming pools, and I hung out, drank, watched people, read, admired the comically blue Caribbean, etc most days. I'm not a shopper, so I easily ignored the constant commercial opportunities presented at every turn (the only real negative about the experience).

I absolutely loved it. However, I've enjoyed riding my bike through state parks, playing music in New Orleans, and trying to keep the cathedrals of Europe straight as well. I didn't notice an overly large amount of old folks on the cruise, but maybe since I'm 47 I've just lost reference as to who's old and who ain't.

I'll happily go where there's no wi-fi. I won't happily go where there's no booze.
WILLIS
Absolutely hate cruises. Floating prison. Put me in one place for 4 nights or a couple places for a few nights, explore the city/country, etc. -- disagree the with "the food is good" comments. Never felt so bloated and full of salt in my life. At least I made the money I spent on drinks at the craps table so it saved the trip. SW flight straight to Cancun/Cabo for me.
HenryTheOctopus
My wife and I have been on several cruises, with Carnival (3 or 4 times), Disney and Holland America. We went on Holland America to Alaska before kids. Around age 30 at the time, we were among the youngest passengers. The ports and shore excursions were great, but the time onboard was not very exciting because the activities were tailored more toward the blue-hairs. Dinnertime was a bit stuffy, and on "formal night," you were in the minority if you were not wearing a tux. This was 20+ years ago, so maybe things have changed.

Disney with young kids was awesome, for the reasons mentioned by others above. Plenty to do for all ages. Dinner was much more relaxed, due to the large number of young kids. One night, my 3 year old son was worn out and having difficulty staying awake at dinner, so the waiter took it upon himself to put two chairs together end-to-end like a bed and our son took a power nap while we ate.

We've taken Carnival more than others primarily because it's easy to get to in Galveston. We just finished a cruise to Cozumel and Progreso last Thursday. The cruise director was a 2013 Baylor grad. Like Disney, there is plenty to do onboard for all ages. Dinner time on Carnival is very laid back. On regular nights, I wore khaki shorts and a golf shirt, and on "formal night" I wore khaki slacks and a long-sleeve button down.

As for the statement someone made that cruises are made for people who like to sit, I guess that's true to some degree, but I can't sit still for very long and I do just fine. There are plenty of active things to do onboard. Every ship has a gym and running/walking track, and many have half-court basketball courts and mini volleyball courts. Just walking around and exploring the ship and people-watching is a fun way to burn off some energy.

If you ever take a Carnival cruise, pay the extra $60 or so per cabin for the "Faster to the Fun" advantage. There are a limited number available for each cruise, so it may sell out. You have an express lane for the check-in and boarding process and are the first group to get off the ship when you return home, while everyone else has to sit around waiting for their "group" to be called for up to a couple of hours on a ship that has pretty much shut down. There are some other perks as well, such as an express line at customer service. It is money extremely well-spent.
BaylorGrad&Dad
I've never been on a cruise, but I have some clients who cruise all the time. They gave me a website that sells primarily last minute cabins. If you send me a PM, I'll send you the link.
syme
Only cruise if you're not too concerned with immersing yourself and really experiencing the destination. It's a low-impact, all inclusive, and as tulip said "superficial" way to travel. That said, you can still enjoy yourself if your expectations are set accordingly. You can do as much or as little as you want on the boat.
RegentCoverup
Oh and here's another rip off. Skip the Viking River Cruises down the Rhine.

You can ride a bike down that river going city to city faster than that flatbottom boat. And it's not exactly luxurious either, just not a big enough boat for that to be the case. It looks neat for about the first 48 hours, but again, only if you're 70+ and immobile is that a good idea. If you're wheelchair bound and elderly? Ok, this will keep you off your feet, but if you can walk there are more efficient ways to see the heart of Germany and some of those cities are worth at least two days.

The Rhine just isn't some sort of magical river. It's a throughway for the commercial shipping industry to the ports in Amsterdam. Which is to say you'll get some lovely views of fresh piles of titanium dioxide in the barges beside you.
Pecos 45
I have gone on two Carnival cruises out of Galveston to Cozumel and really enjoyed them.
Scuba dove the Cozumel Reef and just hung out in Progresso.
I thought the food was very good, but you can choose what you what you really like to eat. (I enjoyed the custom omelettes every morning!)
We got a balcony window room the first trip and loved it, then got an interior room the second time.
Interior rooms are VERY DARK so you can sleep like a rock.
Everyone we met was very nice, even the ones with tattoos.

Agree it's not for everyone, but if you want to get some rest and relaxation and have the staff do everything, it's good.
Oh, and I ordered room service every morning. Got a fresh pot of coffee delivered so I could start my day right.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
beardoc
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Consider aNatGeo cruise. They combine short cruise segments with a lot of activity. Hikes, bikes, scuba, snorkel, kayaking are generally good. We did this to Alaska and the Galapagos. They also have their photographers and naturalists on board.
fadskier
My family is going on our first cruise this summer. I have to admit, I am not adventurous and therefore, not too excited. I don't want to take "nice clothes" to dress up for dinner. Do I have to? Can I not eat somewhere in shorts? We are only stopping at Cozumel and it looks like shopping is a big deal. Meh.

Help me to be more positive...
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Mr Tulip
fadskier said:

My family is going on our first cruise this summer. I have to admit, I am not adventurous and therefore, not too excited. I don't want to take "nice clothes" to dress up for dinner. Do I have to? Can I not eat somewhere in shorts? We are only stopping at Cozumel and it looks like shopping is a big deal. Meh.

Royal Caribbean had plenty of dining options. You didn't have to ever darken the door of the main dining hall if you didn't want to. I did most nights because (a) it was a good change of pace from the swimwear/bumwear I'd been in all day and (b) they served the top end stuff there that I'd usually never actually order (I'm a picky eater and don't tend towards adventure when I'm out).

Otherwise, I was eating in the "Windjammer" - a buffet style restaurant. They had all the standard "Golden Corral" stuff. As relaxed as it gets.

I went snorkeling in Cozumel sort of as the obligatory family thing to do. I can give you the name of a great operation that's treated us right two years' running. The upshot is that they're really fond of tequila and salsa! Cozumel is essentially a beach tourist paradise with sun, the ocean, shopping, drinking and partying. You can mix and match depending on your needs/wants, or stay on the boat and hit the gym or casino again as your tastes desire.
fadskier
Mr Tulip said:

fadskier said:

Royal Caribbean had plenty of dining options. You didn't have to ever darken the door of the main dining hall if you didn't want to. I did most nights because (a) it was a good change of pace from the swimwear/bumwear I'd been in all day and (b) they served the top end stuff there that I'd usually never actually order (I'm a picky eater and don't tend towards adventure when I'm out).

Otherwise, I was eating in the "Windjammer" - a buffet style restaurant. They had all the standard "Golden Corral" stuff. As relaxed as it gets.

I went snorkeling in Cozumel sort of as the obligatory family thing to do. I can give you the name of a great operation that's treated us right two years' running. The upshot is that they're really fond of tequila and salsa! Cozumel is essentially a beach tourist paradise with sun, the ocean, shopping, drinking and partying. You can mix and match depending on your needs/wants, or stay on the boat and hit the gym or casino again as your tastes desire.
I've never had a massage and it's 20% off on port day so maybe...

and I'll get off the boat and walk around. We're just not big shoppers.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
BaylorOkie
In Cozumel we did an excursion on which we drove dunebuggy type cars around the area. Stopped for snorkeling and a beach lunch. It was fun.

When I cruise, I will take a pair of jeans and that's it for pants. Only shorts otherwise. The only shoes I have are flip flops, running shoes and some sort or water shoe. So I'm with you on "formal night". Screw that. I'll eat somewhere else that night.
RegentCoverup
beardoc said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Consider aNatGeo cruise. They combine short cruise segments with a lot of activity. Hikes, bikes, scuba, snorkel, kayaking are generally good. We did this to Alaska and the Galapagos. They also have their photographers and naturalists on board.
That does sound adventurous and a great idea. I could be tricked into that.

But it would take some effort not to strangle a naturist lecturing me about something, as I would expect a naturist would.

Btw, for anyone just wanting to visit Cozumel, here's a cheap option.
1. Call Adventure Tours in Dallas or the charter airline that services Cozumel from DFW, and find a direct, round trip to Cozumel. Do NOT fly into Cancun. The charters from DFW to Cozumel are the best kept secret.
2. Stay at the Condumel condos located here: http://www.condumel.com/

There is a decent grocery store across the street and restaurants are nearby. By staying at Condumel you get a discount at all the dive shops as the Condumel owners manages most, if not all.
BaylorHistory
syme said:

Only cruise if you're not too concerned with immersing yourself and really experiencing the destination. It's a low-impact, all inclusive, and as tulip said "superficial" way to travel. That said, you can still enjoy yourself if your expectations are set accordingly. You can do as much or as little as you want on the boat.
I've been on two and this was the main reason I hated it. All this money for a few hours in a destination that used to be a foreign country, but now is just a few guys getting by taking overweight tourists to Senor Frogs. Give me a direct flight any day of the week and even then I'm going to stay far away from the cruise port.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
bularry
If I may derail with a funny Senor Frogs story....

Way back in the day when I was a Baylor student, I went to Cancun for a 4 day weekend with high school friends. This was before Cancun was a college party town. As 20 year olds we were some of the youngest people out at most of the clubs, etc.

Anyway, one night we went on a booze cruise and got completely obliterated. After our return we went for more drinks at Senor Frogs.

Next day after pool time and naps we are hanging out getting ready and talking about the night before. So we start looking for the picture they took of us on the boat. Damn, we lost it in our drunken stupor

So the next night we end up splitting up. 2 of our party are back at Frogs. Now back then, S Frogs had tourist pictures tacked all over the walls by the bar area.

So my buddies wander to the bar and get drinks and as they are standing there looking around one of them looks closely over the bar and there it is. Our group cruise picture!

They got it back.

Always cracks me up thinking about it
Brian Ethridge
Staff
fadskier said:

Mr Tulip said:

fadskier said:

I've never had a massage and it's 20% off on port day so maybe...

and I'll get off the boat and walk around. We're just not big shoppers.
The area in Cozumel has changed a ton as the new port is away from town a bit and just a mass of touristy trinkets. I love that island, but I don't go there to shop. Find the excursion to Punta Sur, which is an Eco Park, but there is a great beach bar inside by a cove that is calm, shallow, perfect sand, and nobody else will be there. If not an excursion, get a taxi there and then tell them to pick you up later. They will.

Skip San Francisco Beach and Mr. Sancho's as 1/4 of the boat will go there.

Last time there we rented a car and took the entire family and grandparents to Punta Sur and had a blast with buckets of beer, fresh ceviche, carne asada, and more with about 20 other people there for 6-8 hours. Then we loaded back up, dropped the car, and got on the boat.

There are cocodrillo in the swamp behind as it is an eco park, but skip that unless you want to just look at them for a distance or not get great beach time.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.