Moving to Waco - Energy Providers

1,518 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wichitabear
GeauxOn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if this is the right forum, but looking for some advice on Energy providers. I'm a recent LSU grad moving from Louisiana to Waco this Friday. Moving to Waco for graduate school at Baylor. I'll be moving into a 2 bedroom townhouse near campus, but I will be the only occupant. Coming from Louisiana I'm not familiar with choosing an energy provider, any recommendations for which company to choose would be appreciated.
VaeBear
www.powertochoose.com
Pablo Fanque
Go to powertochoose.com and search for prices. Keep in mind that your choice is simply of what company you will be paying for electricity. Texas has split up the electricity business into generators (power plants), distribution (the people who own and maintain the wires), and retailers (basically, the billing functions). Your distributor will likely be set, and that is the company that matters for reliability of delivery. If your power goes out, your retailer is not the company that fixes things - that's your distributor.

Retailers basically manage contracts with generators. They purchase some amount of electricity via long term contracts and they sell an equal amount of electricity to retail customers. They make money by marking up the price to you over the price they pay to the generators. From your perspective, in choosing a retailer, you are choosing a billing office.

So, choose a retailer based on price, contract duration, and so on. Dig into the rate sheets you can see on powertochoose.com - look at the monthly fee as well as the per unit price of electricity, not just the average price stated on the website.
Wichitabear
Welcome to Baylor!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.