Prayer Requests - Lost my Job (again)

5,238 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bularry
Jack Bauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am trying not to fall into a deep hole over this. I was laid off last Spring and went into a bad depression about it. I picked myself up and about a month later got a job interview and then an offer for a 10 month contract.

That contract was abruptly ended this week due to budget cuts so I am back to being unemployed (this time w/o a severance package).

I am trying to be positive, active, persistent during this time but it's hard to do this again.

I have a family to support as well so the stress seems to multiply. I am ready to go back to work tomorrow, the waiting and uncertainty is killing me. And I feel like a failure b/c I can't seem to keep a job anymore.

I would appreciate your prayers, support, advice, job leads or anything you may have to keep me going and positive.

Thank you, God Bless.
HenryTheOctopus
That is rough, and I'm sorry to hear. I just prayed for you and will continue to do so.
Jack Bauer
Thank you, that means a lot.
BellCountyBear
I've been through the same thing a few times. Try to be patient. In every instance i've moved on to something better. Prayers sent.
Jack Bauer
BellCountyBear said:

I've been through the same thing a few times. Try to be patient. In every instance i've moved on to something better. Prayers sent.
Thank you. This new job was 100x better than the last job so I'm hoping the next one will be 100x greater again.
BaylorOkie
HenryTheOctopus said:

That is rough, and I'm sorry to hear. I just prayed for you and will continue to do so.
Me too, Jack. I'm sitting in my truck right now at one of my projects working on some emails and just looked at the board for a minute and saw this. I prayed for you and will do so again and again.

I hit a really tough time for a bit 11 years ago when the economy went sour, so this hits home for me.
Jack Bauer
BaylorOkie said:

HenryTheOctopus said:

Me too, Jack. I'm sitting in my truck right now at one of my projects working on some emails and just looked at the board for a minute and saw this. I prayed for you and will do so again and again.

I hit a really tough time for a bit 11 years ago when the economy went sour, so this hits home for me.

Thank you, I appreciate it very much.
fubar
I've been there, too, Jack. Keep your chin up. It'll get better (which is easy for me to say, no?).

My best to you and your family.
Jack Bauer
pruritus_ani said:

I've been there, too, Jack. Keep your chin up. It'll get better (which is easy for me to say, no?).

My best to you and your family.
Thanks. I know in my heart everything will work out, just trying to be tough and resilent until it happens.
BaylorGrad&Dad
Where do you live, and what type of work would you be looking for?
Jack Bauer
I'm in Austin area, experience in IT and Telecom. Mostly project/vendor mgmt.
PartyBear
Hang in there Jack. If you experience depression get help and dont let it control you.
Stranger
What field are you looking in?
I'm a Bearbacker
Jack Bauer
Stranger said:

What field are you looking in?
I'm in Austin area, experience in IT and Telecom. Mostly project/vendor mgmt
Jack Bauer
It's been a good day, already have 3-4 solid leads after networking. I am feeling a lot more hopeful now.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Hang tough, Jack. Good things come to good people.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
bularry
Jack Bauer said:

It's been a good day, already have 3-4 solid leads after networking. I am feeling a lot more hopeful now.

Good on you

4th and Inches
Jack Bauer said:

sounds like our prayers are working, we will keep it up
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Jack Bauer
Gruvin said:

Jack Bauer said:

sounds like our prayers are working, we will keep it up

Just got a referral from my old director and the recruiter for a job....please keep praying, things are looking up.
midgett
Just saw this and have prayed for you.

Stay strong and stay positive. Fortunately you are in an area and industry with good prospects. Someone needs you tomorrow. Y'all just need to find each other.

Most of all, put your faith and worries to Jesus.

A former Baylor FB player posted this today (and he had experienced most every trial we know).

"Expect problems and eat them for breakfast." (I like the quote for the approach it suggests.) Keep us informed.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Prayers up
Knight Bear
I like your resume. Impressive stuff! :-)
*Praying that you find a true work home this time.

Education
Los Angeles Sheriff's Department - Basic SWAT School
Master of Science, Criminology and Law - University of California, Berkeley
Bachelor of Arts, English Literature - University of California, Los Angeles
U.S. Army Officer's Candidate School
Special Forces Operations Training Course
Delta Force Operator's Training Course (OTC)

Work experience
Counter Terrorist Unit
Section Captain, Hotel Los Angeles attack (1998)
Team Leader, Operation Proteus (2000)
Director, CTU Los Angeles
Other
Case Officer - Clandestine Services, Central Intelligence Agency
Special Weapons and Tactics Team, Los Angeles Police Department

Military experience
Classified information in italics
Captain, U.S. Army First Special Forces Operational Detachment, Delta
Instructor, U.S. Army "Q" Course Phase III Training
Instructor, U.S. Army Special Forces Robin Sage Exercises
First Lieutenant, U.S. Army Combat Applications Group
Graduate, John F. Kennedy School of Special Warfare
Graduate, U.S. Army Officer's Candidate School
Graduate, U.S. Army Ranger's School

Delta missions
All Delta missions are classified
Operation Nightfall, Kosovo (date and details classified)
Operation Collegiate, Belgrade
Operation Downtown, Pristina (Special Commendation)
Operation Lost Paradise, Chechnya
Operation Closed Coffin, Hac
Operation Desert Storm, Kuwait

Expertise
High Altitude, Low Opening (HALO)
High Altitude, High Opening (HAHO)
Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape (SERE)
Psychological Operations (PSYOPS)
Direct Action (DA)
Civic Action (CA)
Counterproliferation/Nuclear (CP/N)
Honors
Classified information in italics

Purple Heart
Silver Star
saabing bear
One more prayer going up for you. I've been there more often than I like to admit. Something better will open up, whether it seems like something better or not.
4th and Inches
Keeping the prayers going... God has a plan to prosper you and yours!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Jack Bauer
So I have an interview with the 3 founders (CEO, CFO, CTO) of a small company in NC for a job that is about 95% of my previous job. They said they would consider that I could work remotely if it was a good fit. I got a referral from someone high up from my old company who they work with on a daily basis.

I feel very encouraged by this news. Any advice? Any gotcha questions to be ready for?

Thanks for all your help,
JB
SMack
Jack Bauer said:

Any gotcha questions to be ready for?

Make sure you have an explanation for any pictures of you in blackface.
ValhallaBear
Jack Bauer said:

So I have an interview with the 3 founders (CEO, CFO, CTO) of a small company in NC for a job that is about 95% of my previous job. They said they would consider that I could work remotely if it was a good fit. I got a referral from someone high up from my old company who they work with on a daily basis.

I feel very encouraged by this news. Any advice? Any gotcha questions to be ready for?

JB
JB - just saw this thread. Couple of things:

- DO NOT let this get you down or think it is a reflection of who you are or what your worth is as a man, husband, father, and provider. It's really tough out there right now. Losing employment for a man is the same as divorce is to a woman. It affects you in your DNA. There are a lot of men going through this same thing thinking the same thoughts.

- I don't know your age of family situation but if you really want to work for this NC company you need to lead to the founders that you would be thrilled to move to NC to work for them. Tree hugging is a big problem for young people that think everything can be done from home. If I'm a business owner investing a lot of money into an asset (employee) I want eyes on him, especially if he's new and I don't know anything about him. Working from home can be really challenging. You need to be there to show how you can make the owners more money. Believe me there are plenty of guys in NC right now that want this job too. If you are a difference maker and they trust you then you can have a dialogue about moving back to TX and working remotely.

- (edit) IT and Telecom project/vendor management. What projects and vendors have you managed and how much in real dollars did you contribute to the bottom line for the company? What percentage sales increase were you responsible for? Business owners want to hear numbers, numbers, numbers not words, words, words.

- During this down time get out and be productive doing something. Volunteer, work for your church, go to networking meetings, hell hang out at Starbucks. It's depressing just sitting at your house while you are searching for a job. It effects your relationship with your wife. She doesn't want you hanging around the house all day. Treat finding a job as though it is your job. Good jobs don't just drop out of the sky and hit you on the head while you're ****posting on SicEm...LOL

- Reach out to your friends. Be very honest and tell them what your situation is. Don't be ashamed to call your friends that are hot shots making bank and feeling like they'll look down on you. If they are your true friends they will be willing to help any way they can. Don't just say 'help me' tell them exactly what you want to do and why you are good at what you do. Have your elevator pitch down pat. 'I am an outstanding......'. Ask them about connections they have in a business or industry that is a fit for what you are good at. Have them give you names and companies and politely ask them how soon they can contact this person(s) and when you can follow up with them to get some feedback.

- If you have a 'dream job' or something that makes you happy doing look into that. There's no better time than now to start pursuing your dream. You'll be amazed at how little money means to you and your family when Dad is happy to go to work and happy when he's home because he's doing what he loves.

- God WILL take care of you. Pray a lot and ask him to reveal his plan for you. Don't blame God for things not going well. Appreciate that these hard times are what makes the good times that much better.

Good luck and know that people are praying for you.

-
4th and Inches
Sunday morning support and prayers along your journey!
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Great post by Val Bear.

You are in my prayers this morning. Others will add you today at mass.
BearTooth
I've lived in North Carolina for 16 years of my adult life, and it is a nice place to live.

There is a state income tax.

Public schools aren't great, but the university system is top notch.

IT jobs are likely Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill or Charlotte.

All of those areas have lots to do from a lifestyle perspective.

If the job works, there are lots of worse places to move to.
El Oso
Jack Bauer said:

JB
Not so much gotcha questions, but I'm betting this is a Skype or some other form of video interview.

It's a lot different than in person and takes just some getting used to.

Make sure the room is well lit, but that the light is coming from in front of you not behind you. It will wash you out if it comes from behind.

I just did one about 4 months ago. Nothing major--it's just very different from a face to face. Feedback is a lot harder to manage and there's always that nagging doubt that technology is about to crap out and screw you over.

Mine was no big deal--it's just different weird.
Jack Bauer
El Oso said:

Jack Bauer said:

JB
Not so much gotcha questions, but I'm betting this is a Skype or some other form of video interview.

It's a lot different than in person and takes just some getting used to.

Make sure the room is well lit, but that the light is coming from in front of you not behind you. It will wash you out if it comes from behind.

I just did one about 4 months ago. Nothing major--it's just very different from a face to face. Feedback is a lot harder to manage and there's always that nagging doubt that technology is about to crap out and screw you over.

Mine was no big deal--it's just different weird.

Thanks but it's not a Skype interview, just a conf call interview.
jdrs
Just saw this and praying for you. Any updates?
Golem
Just saw this. Prayers sent.

Good luck, brother. I'm sure it will all work out in exactly the right time.

I'll just say, don't hang your hat on just this one thing, though. Even with this one looking promising, keep looking around until you get everything squared away. Sometimes God throws us a couple of practice pitches first.
xiledinok
You'll be fine, I'm sure of it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.