Drinking

3,656 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by perrynative
fadskier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have always worked out (usually in waves...two weeks on, two weeks off...just due to laziness) but anyway, am back on track with lifting and jogging and consuming alot less calories and a healthy diet. However one area that I am not yet willing to curb is drinking. I enjoy it too much.

Just wondering who here drinks and how much. I usually drink two to three nights per week and about 12ozs on each of those nights (usually vodka.) Probably should cut down but it just is a fantastic relaxer.
Mr Tulip
I have an outrageous capacity for hard liquor. Not usually for intoxication purposes (but it IS part of it), but I really appreciate the taste of most of it.

However, it's like ice cream. I can easily clear out a 1/2gal with no problems. I just know I shouldn't. Ice cream is a "sometimes" thing that I have to use self control on. While drinking to intoxication is hard on the liver, it's also basically pure calories. Being significantly overweight messes with my quality of life really quickly, so I do what I can to avoid it.

Every so often, I don't drink for a week or so, just to demonstrate to myself that I really am in control of it. Most weeks, though, I stick to a glass of red wine (consumer grade) most weekday nights. I reserve the distilled stuff for the weekends - usually as a moderation guide, but also because it's really expensive!

My mantra is usually, "All things in moderation - including moderation.". There can be times of excess, but it can't be every time. There can be cheese burgers, ice cream, and scotch, but it can't be every meal every time.
Keyser Soze

Three drinks a night can hit 500 calories easily - that is a slice of chocolate cake. About one pound's worth of calories a week.

To burn an extra 500 calories you need a moderate jog of 30 to 40 minutes a day.

fadskier
Keyser Soze said:

Three drinks a night can hit 500 calories easily - that is a slice of chocolate cake. About one pound's worth of calories a week.

To burn an extra 500 calories you need a moderate jog of 30 to 40 minutes a day.

I lift weights every other day and jog the other days. I don't consume alot of calories through food because I know I'm going to be drinking some.
Keyser Soze
fadskier said:

Keyser Soze said:

I lift weights every other day and jog the other days. I don't consume alot of calories through food because I know I'm going to be drinking some.

My exercise level is far below where it should be, and I prefer the cake if given a choice. I'm a few drinks a month - mainly red wine with the better meals.

Mr Tulip
You can't out-train a bad diet.

Your body is an amazing machine that quickly adjusts to its world. If it gets too few calories, it economizes and doesn't burn calories as efficiently. Alcohol gets metabolized into fat, water, and carbon dioxide. A body can't really gain much energy producing fuel from it.

Heavy weight (anaerobic) exercise is great because, not only does it build muscle, but it puts your body into fuel using mode. You'll burn calories at a higher rate just sitting around for the next few days. It also "protects" your muscle mass from your body's starvation reaction.

When your body thinks it isn't getting enough nutrition, it goes after its own muscle mass first. The protein that your muscles represent is easier to convert and use rapidly than the fat stores. As such, the body starts degrading the underused muscles before it processes fat. Weight training helps keep your body from prioritizing muscle consumption.

Obviously, with alcohol, we've got the additional concern. EtOH is toxic to carbon based life. The liver metabolizes it as quickly as it can, but it needs enzymes and other mechanisms to work. It can only do so much, and when it gets overwhelmed, it gets damaged. That damage can be permanent. Since your liver is cleaning a lot of stuff out of the blood (Tylenol and Advil also make it work hard), try to be a friend and not overtax it continually.

fadskier
Mr Tulip said:

Your body is an amazing machine that quickly adjusts to its world. If it gets too few calories, it economizes and doesn't burn calories as efficiently. Alcohol gets metabolized into fat, water, and carbon dioxide. A body can't really gain much energy producing fuel from it.

Heavy weight (anaerobic) exercise is great because, not only does it build muscle, but it puts your body into fuel using mode. You'll burn calories at a higher rate just sitting around for the next few days. It also "protects" your muscle mass from your body's starvation reaction.

When your body thinks it isn't getting enough nutrition, it goes after its own muscle mass first. The protein that your muscles represent is easier to convert and use rapidly than the fat stores. As such, the body starts degrading the underused muscles before it processes fat. Weight training helps keep your body from prioritizing muscle consumption.

Obviously, with alcohol, we've got the additional concern. EtOH is toxic to carbon based life. The liver metabolizes it as quickly as it can, but it needs enzymes and other mechanisms to work. It can only do so much, and when it gets overwhelmed, it gets damaged. That damage can be permanent. Since your liver is cleaning a lot of stuff out of the blood (Tylenol and Advil also make it work hard), try to be a friend and not overtax it continually.

I do drink 64 ozs of water everyday.
4th and Inches
fadskier said:

Mr Tulip said:

I do drink 64 ozs of water everyday.
that may not be enough, you should drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces up to 150 ounces a day plus you should drink 1/2 the oz of any alcoholic beverage or caffeinated drink in additional water because of the diuretic effect of caffeine and alcohol.

Adding a small amount of sublingual creatine before every strength training workout would be beneficial. Start taking a quality multivitamin daily and plus possibly adding sublingual B complex and low-calorie electrolyte supplement on days you sweat alot and/or drink alcohol. Water is used for phase 1 and phase 2 detoxification aka helps the liver function better. Also, hangover symptoms such as headache can be attributed to electrolyte in balance and dehydration.
bularry
fadskier said:

I have always worked out (usually in waves...two weeks on, two weeks off...just due to laziness) but anyway, am back on track with lifting and jogging and consuming alot less calories and a healthy diet. However one area that I am not yet willing to curb is drinking. I enjoy it too much.

Just wondering who here drinks and how much. I usually drink two to three nights per week and about 12ozs on each of those nights (usually vodka.) Probably should cut down but it just is a fantastic relaxer.

Vodka? Man up and learn to like whiskey

I drink 5 or 6 nights a week. Usually wine but sometimes beer or spirits

I love drinking
Keyser Soze
Take it from someone who has suffered multiple kidney stones. Your urine output should be 64 oz. Per day. You need much more liquid to produce that volume
bularry
Keyser Soze said:

Take it from someone who has suffered multiple kidney stones. Your urine output should be 64 oz. Per day. You need much more liquid to produce that volume

The 8 cups theory isn't universally accepted as true

I try to drink a lot of water every day
RegentCoverup
Yeah that 8 cups is a wives tale. But drinking water helps weight loss tremendously. And by that I mean a gallon a day. Easy to do in Texas summers,

You have to condition your body to handle the water though, the first week or so you'll be run I g to the bathroom. After about a week you'll adjust and it will drive down your appetite.

I like to drink booze but my body and workout habits just don't agree, it rocks my sleep and I really have to limit my intake.
El Oso
Bourbon and craft beer.

I've cut way back in the past year. I drink to inconsistently now to say how often.

I tried the gallon of water thing for about 4 months. Didn't notice anything different in weight or overall feeling. That first week you live standing up in the bathroom though.
Keyser Soze
bularry said:

Keyser Soze said:

Drinking 8 8oz glasses is the wives tale. I am talking about urine output. Also talking about me. That is what my urologist told me I needed to stay clear of kidney stones. You need more input to get the desired output. For me, to get to 64 output, I need much closer to 1oz per every 2lbs. of body weight.
Aliceinbubbleland
I drink more JD than I do water in a day

Throw in wine before bed time and I'm ready to gain another 3 pounds overnight. Walk the dog the next day for two miles and hope I lost a wee bit.
bularry
Keyser Soze said:

bularry said:

Keyser Soze said:

Drinking 8 8oz glasses is the wives tale. I am talking about urine output. Also talking about me. That is what my urologist told me I needed to stay clear of kidney stones. You need more input to get the desired output. For me, to get to 64 output, I need much closer to 1oz per every 2lbs. of body weight.

Makes sense. That's a lot of water!
BaylorBJM
Every January I try to cut the IPAs and stick to vodka soda only to try and "trim" up somewhat. This year I tried to extend it through February but broke down last week.

Like many of you, I too try to drink in moderation so M-W I'm cold turkey on drinking. Thursday night I'll typically have a drink or two then it's game on Friday, Sat and I'll conclude Sunday's with a couple margaritas with Grand Marnier floaters.

I also drink an obscene amount of water to the point I've seen a doctor about it but he wasn't overly concerned about my intake (typically between 200-250 ounces per day, sometime slightly more). My kidneys seemingly work fine, I'm not a diabetic, etc. I just require a lot of water.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I'm currently on the Rhamadan diet for thirty days. Eat a healthy breakfast, fast during daylight hours, and eat a sensible dinner. The toughest part of this diet is NO alcohol. This is pretty tough on someone that usually only drinks on days that end in y.

If I don't reach my goal of losing 34 lbs. in 60 days, I will blow myself up. (Not really, just a little funny incentive)

(For the record, I have lost 11 lbs. in my first week).
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Mr Tulip
Obviously, some here have diagnosed dietary needs. If you're prone to kidney stones, you're going to take your doctor's advice.

For the rest of us, drink when you're thirsty or thereabouts. There's a huge ton of misinformation about consuming outrageous amounts of water. It isn't necessarily bad for you (except in cases of trained athletes diluting the concentration of ions in the blood to the point their nervous system can no longer communicate messages), but it can train your body to sort of expect it.

For some who overeat or eat compulsively, drinking water can give the stomach something to do and ease hunger while it adjusts to a new size or schedule.

That said, your body likes water best. You're mostly made out of it. Gatorade or other sports drinks add nothing but calories. Any salt depletion that occurs during vigorous exercise is easily made up by the body's own stores, and just can't be replenished by a drink. If you need the psychological comfort of adding something to your diet (the effect is real - I'm not mocking), eat a banana. As a matter of fact, eat a banana anyway.
Keyser Soze

One other very interesting points about water is that your body will get acclimated to what ever you level of water consumption is. This is why they say "don't wait until you are thirsty". Old people are notoriously dehydrated - they don't drink because they are not thirsty.

Aliceinbubbleland
Keyser Soze said:

One other very interesting points about water is that your body will get acclimated to what ever you level of water consumption is. This is why they say "don't wait until you are thirsty". Old people are notoriously dehydrated - they don't drink because they are not thirsty.

Please define "old people" from your point of view
Keyser Soze
BaylorGuy314
I have, over many years, developed an allergy to most beer. I presume it's due to the hops. I can literally drink 3-4 and feel hungover as hell the next day- including leg pain, skin rashes, etc. It's no fun. Dos Equis bothers me the least.

I regularly drink 80-100oz of water a day (out of habit) so it's not a hydration issue. And it's definetely gotten worse with age so I presume it's an allergy of some type.

Either way, I enjoy rum and coke or bourbon and coke but rarely drink around my kids, so it's pretty sparingly.

bularry
This thread is making me feel bad about all my drinking

ScottS
Tonight, tonight, let it be Lowenbrau
perrynative
Drink Chuck Norris water. C-Force
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.