James Holzhauer, Jeopardy Champ

2,945 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by xiledinok
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
24 day winnings $1,867,142 and climbing. He wasn't at his best today but he'll be back tomorrow to try to top $2 million in winnings.

Wow. This guy is a human computer.
4th and Inches
Loved watching jeopardy! I Remember watching Ken Jennings make his run on Jeopardy a few years ago, was completely surprised that he missed the final Jeopardy question. I still recall the answer to final jepardy wuestion which was who is HR block... I believe Ken gave the answer who is FedEx
fubar
Gruvin said:

Loved watching jeopardy! I Remember watching Ken Jennings make his run on Jeopardy a few years ago, was completely surprised that he missed the final Jeopardy question. I still recall the answer to final jepardy wuestion which was who is HR block... I believe Ken gave the answer who is FedEx
Exactly what I remember. The look on the face of the woman who beat him was priceless.
Pablo Fanque
I watched him yesterday for the first time, as he was winning #24. He does a couple of strategies that are contrary to Jeopardy custom: all-or-nothing wagers on Daily Doubles and starting with the hardest and highest-value questions. He also just knows a whole lot. Between getting the first few $1,000 responses correct and then winning a true daily double, he was way ahead before the other two contestants had even gotten their feet on the ground.

Another thing he seems to do well is time the clicker. About a decade ago, a Baylor student I knew went on College Jeopardy. His report: he struggled because he couldn't get the timing right for when to click in. If you click before Alex is finished, you are locked out for a few seconds while others have the chance to buzz in. So the key is to anticipate accurately when the signal light will come on telling you that you may respond. (It doesn't come on until Alex has finished reading the "answer.")

He also seems to have an ability to instantaneously do mental math (or create the appearance that he does). His Daily Double bets in the second round were not all of his money, and they were weird amounts. I haven't watched enough to tell if there is method in his madness on Daily Double bets when he is way ahead.

Anyway, it was an impressive performance, and he "only" won $86,000.
Alfred Anchorsen
He is a math prodigy.
4th and Inches
That much money in Only 24 episodes, i would bet he has a special talent in math
Alfred Anchorsen
https://abc7chicago.com/entertainment/naperville-man-captures-his-11th-straight-win-on-jeopardy/5258528/
Aliceinbubbleland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Holzhauer

His body language is exactly like a robot. Such confidence. Great performances. I hope he breaks the record. Naperville? Don't we have a poster from that area lol?
Feel The Floyd
Planet Money host is related to him by marriage, shares some good insights about how he wins.

The guy is a retired professional gambler.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/planet-money/id290783428?i=1000437748366
FormerFlash
Pablo Fanque said:

I watched him yesterday for the first time, as he was winning #24. He does a couple of strategies that are contrary to Jeopardy custom: all-or-nothing wagers on Daily Doubles and starting with the hardest and highest-value questions. He also just knows a whole lot. Between getting the first few $1,000 responses correct and then winning a true daily double, he was way ahead before the other two contestants had even gotten their feet on the ground.

Another thing he seems to do well is time the clicker. About a decade ago, a Baylor student I knew went on College Jeopardy. His report: he struggled because he couldn't get the timing right for when to click in. If you click before Alex is finished, you are locked out for a few seconds while others have the chance to buzz in. So the key is to anticipate accurately when the signal light will come on telling you that you may respond. (It doesn't come on until Alex has finished reading the "answer.")

He also seems to have an ability to instantaneously do mental math (or create the appearance that he does). His Daily Double bets in the second round were not all of his money, and they were weird amounts. I haven't watched enough to tell if there is method in his madness on Daily Double bets when he is way ahead.

Anyway, it was an impressive performance, and he "only" won $86,000.
His strange dollar amount bets are based off dates. He uses his anniversary, wife's birth date etc.
Aliceinbubbleland
Today was a close call for Jeopardy James. The contestant from NYC gave him a run and seem to confound James at times. Nevertheless he found his footing and won but nowhere near his usual winnings.

Aliceinbubbleland
Damn. He lost today
xiledinok
Didn't bet it all w Final Jeopardy.
fubar
xiledinok said:

Doing so would've made zero sense. He could only win if the first place contestant missed, and betting too much allowed the third place guy a chance.

I'll never understand why people don't understand Final Jeopardy betting.
xiledinok
pruritus_ani said:

xiledinok said:

Doing so would've made zero sense. He could only win if the first place contestant missed, and betting too much allowed the third place guy a chance.

I'll never understand why people don't understand Final Jeopardy betting.
During his streak, he was wagering enough money to guarantee victory. I thought he might have not been sure on the question. A different play from him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.