Garden 2019

6,695 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Malbec
Malbec
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody plant a vegetable garden this year? What did you plant?
LIB,MR BEARS
Purple hulls.

That is all.
Malbec
Tomatoes: First Pick, Old Virginia, Silvery Fir Tree, Pineapple, Black Prince, Campbell 33, Kellogg's Breakfast, Dad's Sunset, Blue Cream Berries, Tangerine, Green Giant, Cuostralee, Garden Peach, Sausage, Gold Medal, Mountain Princess

Peppers: Sunbright, Lilac Bell, Ozark Giant, Sweet Chocolate, Lunchbox Orange, Corno di Toro Giallo, Lemon Dream, Nadapeno, Buran

Squash: Early Prolific Straightneck, Yellow Crooked Neck, Dixie Yellow Hybrid, Italian Vegetable Marrow

Cucumbers: Dar, Spacemaster 80, Monika, Greencrisp Hybrid, Parisian Pickling

Watermelons: Early Moonbeam, Hopi Yellow, Cream of Saskatchewan, Orangeglo, Ledmon, Tom Watson, White Sugar Lump, Orange Flesh Tendersweet, White Wonder, Golden Midget

Other Melons: Rocky Ford Green Flesh, Swan Lake, Old Tennessee, Kajari

Other: Hill Country Red Heirloom Okra, Eagle Pass Okra, Rosa Bianca Eggplant, Black Moon Eggplant, Buhl Sweet Corn, Sugarbaby Corn
LIB,MR BEARS
Malbec said:

Tomatoes: First Pick, Old Virginia, Silvery Fir Tree, Pineapple, Black Prince, Campbell 33, Kellogg's Breakfast, Dad's Sunset, Blue Cream Berries, Tangerine, Green Giant, Cuostralee, Garden Peach, Sausage, Gold Medal, Mountain Princess

Peppers: Sunbright, Lilac Bell, Ozark Giant, Sweet Chocolate, Lunchbox Orange, Corno di Toro Giallo, Lemon Dream, Nadapeno, Buran

Squash: Early Prolific Straightneck, Yellow Crokked Neck, Dixie Yellow Hybrid, Italian Vegetable Marrow

Watermelons: Early Moonbeam, Hopi Yellow, Cream of Saskatchewan, Orangeglo, Ledmon, Tom Watson, White Sugar Lump, Orange Flesh Tendersweet, White Wonder, Golden Midget

Other: Hill Country Red Heirloom Okra, Eagle Pass Okra, Rosa Bianca Eggplant, Black Moon Eggplant, Buhl Sweet Corn, Sugarbaby Corn
Dang! You're gonna be busy.
Wichitabear
That's very impressive or shall we say berry impressive. I just buy mine at the store. Lolol
4th and Inches
Malbec said:

Squash: Early Prolific Straightneck, Yellow Crooked Neck, Dixie Yellow Hybrid, Italian Vegetable Marrow

admittedly, i am a bit jealous...
LIB,MR BEARS
Malbec said:

What's the plan for the cucumbers?
Wichitabear
I'm not jealous. It just makes me hungry. Send pics when they have grown. Somethings I have never heard of. I don't have a green thumb
Mitch Blood Green
I've never done one. Has anyone ever planted pumpkins?
Mitch Blood Green
Malbec said:

Are your watermelons seedless?
Malbec
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Malbec said:

What's the plan for the cucumbers?
I normally just grow varieties for snacking and slicing, but I am going to pickle some this year. Some half-sours and some bread & butters.
Malbec
tommie said:

I have planted pumpkins several times in the past, but we just don't use them enough. This fall I am just going to do some fall tomatoes and some winter squash. Going to try an old heirloom variety called Pink Banana that I haven't planted before.

None of my melons are seedless. I pick the varieties for the old time flavor. They are just so much tastier than the varieties you get in the grocery store. This year I added two new white watermelons to the one I have grown before. I am hoping that they are more prolific than the White Saskatchewan, which I find has been difficult for me to grow in the SoTex heat. I am going to try it again in a cooler, shadier spot to see if that helps the yields.
Malbec
Wichitabear said:

I'm not jealous. It just makes me hungry. Send pics when they have grown. Somethings I have never heard of. I don't have a green thumb
I will post some pics as we harvest. It's going to be later this year as we got a late start. That's one good thing about the Texas growing seasons though.
HuMcK
I accidentally replied to the wrong person...
HuMcK
What did you think of the Black Prince tomatoes? I thought about planting one as a test this year, but the description seemed awful similar to something I grew last year called Russian Black Krim (which was pretty OK tasting and a decently sturdy plant that liked to spread out as much as up, shoulders on the fruit cracked pretty bad with even a little heat though), so I just doubled up on Cherokee Purples instead.

Somebody at work also randomly gave me a pepper plant he called a "Fooled You" Jalapeno pretty late in the planting season so I just slotted it in next to some of its standard strength cousins I already had in the ground, supposed to be a a mild type of Jalapeno (even though Mild Jalapenos and Cool-apenos already exist as Bonnie varieties), I'll try to report back on this thread when it matures and starts producing.

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert gardener, just a hobbyist.
Prairie_Bear
Yes, done one every year since 2010!

Started as a salsa garden then morphed into a whole personally landscaped backyard.

2 peach, 2 apple, 3x honeyberry, grape trellis, 4 blueberry bushes, raspberry patch, strawberry patch, asparagus patch, then garden.

Roma tomatoes, kale, bell peppers, spicy (hab, jal, Serrano, chili red, ghost), green beans, carrots, and spinach! Usually do sweet corn but weather hasn't been helping so haven't gotten it in yet!

Did Carolina Reapers last year, those were too much.
Malbec
HuMcK said:

What did you think of the Black Prince tomatoes? I thought about planting one as a test this year, but the description seemed awful similar to something I grew last year called Russian Black Krim (which was pretty OK tasting and a decently sturdy plant that liked to spread out as much as up, shoulders on the fruit cracked pretty bad with even a little heat though), so I just doubled up on Cherokee Purples instead.

Somebody at work also randomly gave me a pepper plant he called a "Fooled You" Jalapeno pretty late in the planting season so I just slotted it in next to some of its standard strength cousins I already had in the ground, supposed to be a a mild type of Jalapeno (even though Mild Jalapenos and Cool-apenos already exist as Bonnie varieties), I'll try to report back on this thread when it matures and starts producing.

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert gardener, just a hobbyist.
I haven't grown Black Prince in a number of years. It's really more suited to cooler conditions, so it is going to take some extra effort. One thing that I have found that has helped with some of these varieties, like Manitoba, Anna Russian, Black Krim, Black Cherry, etc., is to encourage a little more vigor in the foliage and to supplement the soil with a fair amount of vermiculite. I've had better luck with Black Prince as a Fall tomato, but I'm going to see if we can get some good mid-summer fruit this year. I waited until the plants were about 12" tall with a number of blooms before I transplanted them to the garden. I also supplemented the soil about 8" below the plants and a 10" radius around the plants with Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix to try an maintain baseline moisture. The last time I grew Black Prince I was getting primarily 3-5 oz. fruits, but that was mainly because I harvested them when the shoulders still had a smidge of green to them as they are prone to cracking in moderate heat.

I should note also that I rarely buy plants anymore so everything is grown from seed. I'll sometimes buy a plant from the nursery that strikes my fancy.
LIB,MR BEARS
Malbec said:

I just noticed you didn't list any potatoes.

I love new pots from the garden.
Prairie_Bear
Malbec, I've struggled with onions, any suggestions? Size is usually long and thin not fat and round consistently.
Malbec
Prairie_Bear said:

Malbec, I've struggled with onions, any suggestions? Size is usually long and thin not fat and round consistently.
Where are you, and what kind of onions are you growing?
Wichitabear
Wow people. I am so impressed that y'all are planting. I would kill everything. Lol
Mitch Blood Green
Wichitabear said:

Wow people. I am so impressed that y'all are planting. I would kill everything. Lol

I'm with you. Malbec has skills.

If I bought dry dog food, I'd screw it up.
Wichitabear
Me too
Malbec
tommie said:

Wichitabear said:

Nah. I'm just the punchline of an old joke. "Maybe he's not so smart. Maybe he's just been around so long that he's seen everything." Plus, I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

Seriously though, every year in the garden there are successes and failures. Many of the things I have planted over the years have taken many tries to get right. But I say one thing, there is just no comparison between some washed-out Mexican tomato you picked up at the WalMart and a big, beautiful one that you picked from your own backyard.
Prairie_Bear
Malbec said:

tommie said:

Wichitabear said:

But I say one thing, there is just no comparison between some washed-out Mexican tomato you picked up at the WalMart and a big, beautiful one that you picked from your own backyard.

Amen to this. Favorite thing to do after pick kids up is go to raspberry patch and pick berries while we talk about our day.

Upper Midwest. Red/yellow onions (for my salsa). Use wood chips cover in my garden, no fertilizer/herbacides.
Malbec
Prairie_Bear said:

Malbec said:

tommie said:

Wichitabear said:

But I say one thing, there is just no comparison between some washed-out Mexican tomato you picked up at the WalMart and a big, beautiful one that you picked from your own backyard.

Amen to this. Favorite thing to do after pick kids up is go to raspberry patch and pick berries while we talk about our day.

Upper Midwest. Red/yellow onions (for my salsa). Use wood chips cover in my garden, no fertilizer/herbacides.
Your growing conditions are much different from mine, but it sounds to me like your problem may be a lack of phosphorus or potassium. If you are growing organically, there are a couple of things that will help. You can make a "compost tea" and side dress your onion plants, or you can do the same with aged compost. Compost tea is a great nutrient source for organic gardening. There are tons of DIY videos online that will give you recipes and teach you how to "brew" it.

Onions can sometimes be tricky, as there are a great many issues that can arise. Your problem may be something as simple as timing or just having a variety that doesn't thrive in your zone. It's also very important to weed thoroughly, as onions, leeks, garlic, shallots and chives don't compete well with weeds and pick up fungal problems easily from weeds; things like white rot and Botrytis, which might be great for late-harvest wine grapes like Riesling and Sylvaner, but not for onions.
4th and Inches
tommie said:

did pumpkins 2 years ago, takes alot of space
4th and Inches
Malbec said:

tommie said:

Wichitabear said:

Nah. I'm just the punchline of an old joke. "Maybe he's not so smart. Maybe he's just been around so long that he's seen everything." Plus, I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

Seriously though, every year in the garden there are successes and failures. Many of the things I have planted over the years have taken many tries to get right. But I say one thing, there is just no comparison between some washed-out Mexican tomato you picked up at the WalMart and a big, beautiful one that you picked from your own backyard.
amen brother! Nearly impossible to find a tomato in the store that tastes like off the vine from the back yard...
midgett
Malbec said:

I liked you at Baylor (track). I hate you now!

I hated having to do anything in my parents big garden growing up. I was slow to come around. Wish I had the land for a big one. I plant a few jalapeos, onions and cilantro (before it's too hot).

Impressed with your garden.
midgett
tommie said:

A few years ago I planted two watermelons. I'm from South Georgia, watermelon capital of the world! An uncle is a watermelon farmer and has given relatives some 50 pounders. I KNOW watermelons.

I am apparently also in the middle stages of dementia.

They started growing and I noticed they were orange. Upon further inspection I still had the tag. It was completely ORANGE. I planted pumpkins. I got two small ones from my tiny garden.

I also recognize the difference between orange and green colors better than I used to!
Nguyen One Soon
I love fresh vegetables right out of the garden. But growing up, everywhere we lived, my dad converted as much yard to garden as possible. This was for economic reasons, or actually at times the difference between having something decent to eat or not. Needless to say, I spent many hours in the garden. I promised myself if I could ever afford to buy fresh produce, I would. I can and I do, but often at farmers markets.
IslandBear
Yeah, you don't do pumpkin unless you have a bunch of space for the crawling, sprawling vines. Found a beautiful one on the side of road last month from a "wild" vine. Harvested some chayote squash in the "wild" near a park last week. Mangos are in the second half of the season in the islands. Been a good year for mangos unlike last year.

I'm not into vegetable gardening but we have a variety of fruits. The passion fruit vines are flowering and the carpenter bees are doing their pollination job. Orange, tangerine, lemon, banana, abiu, jaboticaba, mulberry, lichiee, cacao, soursop, eggfruit, chili peppers, pomelo (2 kinds), kumquat, peach, sugar cane and ginger root are on the lot. Our vanilla orchid vine creeps up a couple of trees. Sadly, I've neglected the pineapple plants.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
I've always been curious about the native vegetables (or edible plants) of Texas. I know a few: pecans, dewberries, cactus fruit, mexican plums.

But, specifically, the vegetables escape me. I wouldn't mind planting an all-native garden one day. Anybody know native veg?
bularry
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Purple hulls.

That is all.
what else does a man need? maybe some butter beans
Malbec
BarleyMcDougal said:

I've always been curious about the native vegetables (or edible plants) of Texas. I know a few: pecans, dewberries, cactus fruit, mexican plums.

But, specifically, the vegetables escape me. I wouldn't mind planting an all-native garden one day. Anybody know native veg?
The Chile Pequin pepper is native to Texas. There are quite a number of berries that come to mind, like red mulberries, the Southern Dewberry that you mentioned, and quite a few types of hackberries.

One of the greatest American horticulturists was a man named T. V. Munson, who moved to Texas in the mid-1870s and settled near Denison. He studied and cataloged the native grapes of Texas and eventually was the savior of the French wine industry when their vineyards were decimated by phylloxera and he showed them how to graft European vines on Texas rootstock that was resistant to the root louse. There are many varieties of grapes that Munson identified as native to Texas that we call mustangs, post oaks and others.

There are a good number of varieties of edibles that have been developed in Texas, especially at A&M. I am growing a couple of okra cultivars that have Texas origins; Hill Country Red and Eagle Pass.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.