Pellet Grill Cooking

3,174 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by william
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do you have one?

I just assembled the Pit Boss 700S that I got for Father's Day and am doing the first cook off on it now to get rid of the paint smell before I start cooking.

This is my first pellet cooker of any kind. Let me hear about your successes and failures using a pellet cooker.
curtpenn
I've had one of the smaller Traegers for almost 2 years. Probably use it 2-3-times per week almost year round. Previous go to was a Weber Propane. Also have a Bradley electric that uses the pucks and used to have a New Braunfels smoker - always looking for that great brisket with minimal effort - lol.

Just did a large rack of spare ribs today following the 3-2-1 format. Turned out very tasty. Can't speak to other models or other manufacturers, but I'm generally satisfied:

Cons:
Can't get it much above 400-420 depending on ambient temp. Can't get that crust on steaks.
Tends to shut itself off on Smoke setting. Probably a fix for this, but I don't use that setting very often.
Never seems to get as much smoke flavor as I'd really like. I have tried multiple brands of pellets. Can't tell any difference. FWIW, Buccee's tends to have the best price on pellets I've found.

Pros:
Really easy for grilling and good results. We do a lot of salmon fillets, burgers, ribeyes, chicken thighs and breasts. No worries about flareups ever. Similar to propane but with more smoke flavor (though still a little less than I'd really like).
Does a really nice job for larger jobs like turkeys, pork butts, whole chickens, briskets, etc. Experimented with a Porchetta this last Christmas with a good outcome.
Relatively fast startup with little maintenance.
Consistent temps.

I will say I've had more pleasing results in recent months doing larger things such as turkey or brisket in a multistep process; I've smoked them in the Bradley first for a few hours before transferring to the Traeger. This gives more smoke flavor while giving a nice crispy skin or bark.
Jpgrocery_bf
Been using Green Mountain Grills for several years.

Consistent temperature, great smoke and almost idiot proof.

Favorite thing to cook is Steaks and Pork Chops. I do a reverse sear for both. Smoke them at 160 for an hour pull them off and turn the smoker up to 425 then cook to internal temp.

Have fun!
SMack
The pellets are hard to chew, and I think they taste terrible.

I don't understand the appeal, but everyone has different tastes.
LIB,MR BEARS
SMack said:

I think the secret is an alcohol brine, for the consumer, not the pellets
kenjily
LIB,MR BEARS said:

SMack said:

I don't understand the appeal, filezilla uc browser rufus but everyone has different tastes.
Never seems to get as much smoke flavor as I'd really like. I have tried multiple brands of pellets. Can't tell any difference. FWIW, Buccee's tends to have the best price on pellets I've found.
LIB,MR BEARS
kenjily said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

SMack said:

I've used mine 3 times now. Each time I've said it needs more smoke. It has several settings to adjust the smoke but, I haven't found the correct one yet.
curtpenn
LIB,MR BEARS said:

kenjily said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

SMack said:

I've used mine 3 times now. Each time I've said it needs more smoke. It has several settings to adjust the smoke but, I haven't found the correct one yet.
Search "not enough smoke flavor from pellet smoker" and you will see that this is a well known problem regardless of brand of grill or pellets. I've had some improvement from setting things on low temps for longer times and finishing hotter. The longer you can go, the more smoke flavor. Just have to watch for over cooking or drying out. Even so, I never get as much smoke flavor as I'd really like. That's why I've gone back to my Bradley as a first step for large items such as turkey or brisket.
nein51
I have a Traeger Timberline 1300.

Pros:
1) so simple a chimp can do it
2) it's works mostly as advertised
3) set it and forget it
4) did I mention it's super simple

Cons:
Virtually everything else. Nowhere near enough smoke, not even close to enough temp (though I can get 500 degrees on mine with ease) for things like steak, you have to essentially vacuum it out to clean it, the app hasn't worked one time always some reason it can't connect.

The biggest problem is that it simply doesn't taste like food from a smoker. The food can be easily cooked well (ribs/brisket/chicken) but you're not going to mistake it for BBQ. It's probably more accurately a wood pellet fired convection oven. Just makes the food rely way too much on injections/rubs/etc or there isn't much flavor.

I wouldn't buy one again.
midgett
Love my Rec-Tec for simplicity. Only real downside is the smoke issue.

Have you tried a smoke tube? It can add significantly more smoke. Need a propane torch to get it going.
LIB,MR BEARS
midgett said:

Have you tried a smoke tube? It can add significantly more smoke. Need a propane torch to get it going.
ill look into it. thanks
midgett
LIB,MR BEARS said:

midgett said:

ill look into it. thanks

I've had a tube but struggled to get the pellets to stay lit inside it.

Got a bigger propane torch Friday. I put the tube (with pellets) in the smoker for an hour to get them hot. Then I took them out and lit them with the torch. Lots of smoke. Smoked two briskets yesterday. One of the best smoke rings I've ever had even when I used a stick burner.
LIB,MR BEARS
midgett said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

midgett said:

ill look into it. thanks

I've had a tube but struggled to get the pellets to stay lit inside it.

Got a bigger propane torch Friday. I put the tube (with pellets) in the smoker for an hour to get them hot. Then I took them out and lit them with the torch. Lots of smoke. Smoked two briskets yesterday. One of the best smoke rings I've ever had even when I used a stick burner.
that's great info. Thanks!
Malbec
kenjily said:

You can pick pellets up for free in Baltimore.
curtpenn
Had a good result with this. I just put 4-5 inches of pellets in it and lit with a propane torch. Smoked various meats for about an hour before turning on Traeger grill and using as I normally would. Definitely worth $10.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZRR7XD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
william
Fetterman2024
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.