Christmas at Dollywood, Tenn. HELLLLLPPPPP!

2,578 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sampi82
SSadler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My daughters just hit me up for fam Christmas at Dollywood, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee (two pre-K grandsons + 5 adults + one pug (dog) total.

Anybody got any advice?

Looks like one daughter, son-in-law, and pug are needing a cabin (for the pug) and then the other daughter with her husband, 2 sons and I are opting for one of the park hotels.

Any info on the Knoxville airport? I assume it is NOT major and I WILL be flying Austin or DFW thru Atlanta to Knoxville?

Family is always fun and of first importance, but I may be getting too old for this.
william
Fetterman2024
Longstreet
Do an Airbnb or VRBO
whitetrash
Dollywood is like San Francisco: both have Twin Peaks as famous landmarks.
WILLIS
https://abnb.me/OO3u7iOedY

Owned by a Baylor Bear. Fantastic cabin.
quash
tots and pears
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
TechDawgMc
You're going to Pigeon Forge but you're staying in a national park hotel? How often are you going to have to drive through Gatlinburg to get to PF? I love the area, but it is a tourist trap and driving from one side to the other doesn't tend to be trivial.

If you're planning to spend most of your time in the park and go one day to PF, I'd very much agree with getting away from the circus, but if you're heading back and forth a lot, you're going to spend a decent amount of time in your car. Just a thought.
bubbadog
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
YoakDaddy
If you don't want to go, just say no.
ABC BEAR
My advice for Pigeon Forge is the same for anyone travelling to Orlando.....win the lottery before you go.
YoakDaddy
SSadler
Yoak, I'd vacation in College Station even if my kids wanted to.

I'm just thankful for being able to and that THEY still want me (and my credit card) along!

But I agree with you that there are some activities they like that I'm sitting out (while they take along just my card).
YoakDaddy
SSadler said:

Yoak, I'd vacation in College Station even if my kids wanted to.

I'm just thankful for being able to and that THEY still want me (and my credit card) along!

But I agree with you that there are some activities they like that I'm sitting out (while they take along just my card).

I know. It just brought back memories if my mandatory trip to Branson last summer for my folks 50th wedding anniversary. They paid for 10 to go because I said I'd never pay my money to go there. I still told my parents no, but I went anyway despite losing a week of vacation and knowing my mother would never ever let me hear the end of it if my family didn't go. The kids had fun, but I'll never go back.
Lund Vernquist
Dollywood is a surprisingly quality amusement park. Good food, exceptionally friendly staff, and great entertainment acts. And several of the rides are notable including the fastest coaster in the world. It's not Disney, but neither are the prices. We found it to be a great value for the money. Buy the Fast Passes and you will walk right on to every ride all day long.

Our family could take or leave the rest of PF and Gatlinburg proper. If you hate Branson (as I do) you'll hate that area slightly less -- it's the same milieu, just on a newer scale and the traffic isn't quite as bad (although it's close). GSMNP is terrific though, and worth every bit of the driving, hiking and exploration.
Sampi82
Direct flights from DFW to Knoxville are available but I don't believe there are any out of Austin.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.