50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing

2,230 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by quash
Mitch Blood Green
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coming up on July 20th. What are your memories?
Longstreet
I'm watching American Experience on PBS about this now and it's awesome! Pretty sure you can stream it free on PBS.org too. Still remember sitting on my couch as a young kid with our family watching it. It was unbelievable at the time!
ABC BEAR
I was at the Boy Scout National Jamboree in Idaho. About 3 weeks later were the Tate-La Bianca murders and a week after that, Woodstock. Seemed like the world had gone crazy.
fubar
It was a Sunday, evening in California, and I had just turned seven. We actually skipped Sunday Night Service ... it may have been cancelled, we never skipped.

I'd been pestering my parents to get my cool new pool set up and filled. My dad told me to shut up -- the only time I recall him saying that to me -- and sit down and watch. It was DEFINITELY the only time he told me to watch TV.

The enormity of what we'd accomplished didn't sink in at age seven. I'm not sure it does even now.
whitetrash
We were on the only long family road trip we ever took in my childhood. Three weeks all the way to California and back. We were in Salt Lake City and it was the only place we couldn't find a decent motel room. Watched it on a little B&W tv in a place not much better than the Bates Motel. July 20, 1969 is still the only night in my life I have stayed in the state of Utah.

Also remember that Gulf stations were giving away paper cutout model kits of the lunar lander, which at age 6 I wanted badly. Every station where we stopped was out of them until finally on the last stretch toward home we found one in Hico.

Oh, and Tang and A-ok Sticks (which were nasty).
PartyBear
I was three but still have just a few memories of my parents getting me up in front of the tv to watch it with them. I remember wondering why everything was floating (the gravitational difference between there and on earth).
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I was six years old and was living in Alaska (my Dad was in the Air Force). I remember watching it on our black and white TV.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Mitch Blood Green
So, I don't remember the moon landing. Watching "Apollo" on the Discovery Channel. Fascinating.
KOKQB70
I'm sure I watched it, but I was 18 and only weeks from heading to Waco to begin an out of world experience with Baylor education and memories, friends today that changed my life.
PartyBear
Must of been a wild summer of you were 18 at the time and don't remember if you watched it.
SSadler
My Mother and two brothers gathered in front of our old black and white in our home in Groesbeck. I was old enough (age 17) to appreciate the international drama of "beating the Russians to the Moon".

I'm not sure many of us realized the amazing by-products of the Space program that found their way in to public domain as a result of NASA's "moon shot". EG. Light weight aluminum foil (covering of lunar lander "Eagle"). Downsized computer circuitry. And many others.

Stranger
SSadler said:

My Mother and two brothers gathered in front of our old black and white in our home in Groesbeck. I was old enough (age 17) to appreciate the international drama of "beating the Russians to the Moon".

I'm not sure many of us realized the amazing by-products of the Space program that found their way in to public domain as a result of NASA's "moon shot". EG. Light weight aluminum foil (covering of lunar lander "Eagle"). Downsized computer circuitry. And many others.

Don't forget Corning Wear dishes and my all time favorite instant orange flavored Tang.

As I got older I learned to appreciate the prune flavor . . Prune Tang.
TechDawgMc
fubar said:

It was a Sunday, evening in California, and I had just turned seven. We actually skipped Sunday Night Service ... it may have been cancelled, we never cancelled

The enormity of what we'd accomplished didn't sink in at age seven. I'm not sure it does even now.

I remember we did cancel Sunday night services at little Haughton Baptist Church in Louisiana. Only time I can remember us canceling church until the Jesus movie showed on Sunday night like 6-7 years later (and different church by then).

Also remember that it ran late and the pastor complained that we could have had services.

I didn't realize how amazing the feat was not sure many did but I was already a big space nut by then so I knew it was a big deal
quash
My dad and I went next door to watch on the neighbor's TV. Because they had color. And the pictures were in B&W...

My nineteenth century born great grandmother was non-plussed. Of course man is going to the moon: the bible talks about blood on the moon.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.