Overly Attached Girlfriend (Laina) and Depression

2,127 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nein51
nein51
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you have spent 5 minutes on the internet you know what Overly Attached Girlfriend is. She is calling it quits on YouTube and I doubt most people here have ever seen one of her videos, I know I hadnt until today. Someone sent me a video of her video from yesterday and she talks pretty openly about depression (and the "reality" of social media stardom). It's brilliant and touching and for all the terrible internet stars it's amazing how normal she seems. If you have depression or someone you know does this is probably going to be tough to watch but, trust me, it's worth the time.

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Sorry Nein. Her diatribe is 28 minutes. I don't have time to watch.

Get mad. Get over it. If your boyfriend gives you the boot, find another boyfriend. Chances are you will find a better one. Don't air all you personal **** on Social Media. You are not the first person in this world to have ever been jilted. You are nothing special. Get your stuff together and just move on.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
nein51
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sorry Nein. Her diatribe is 28 minutes. I don't have time to watch.

Get mad. Get over it. If your boyfriend gives you the boot, find another boyfriend. Chances are you will find a better one. Don't air all you personal **** on Social Media. You are not the first person in this world to have ever been jilted. You are nothing special. Get your stuff together and just move on.

Yeah that's not at all what that is about. Good try though.
Mr Tulip
You come up with a neat idea. You're very creative, and your first 20 performances (that's what they are) are HILARIOUS! You find yourself with several hundred thousand followers on YouTube in a month.

As the counter approaches a million, the paychecks start to arrive. Your name spreads. The counter starts towards your second million (and more). You have more material, Recording is so fun, and the numbers climb every time you release something new. There's such a huge connection between you and your fans!

About 6 months in, there's a week when you don't feel creative. You don't release anything that week - just as a break. Even working schlubs get 2 weeks a year off, right? When nothing new shows up, the subscribers start falling. You were never really in it for the money, but that falls, too. It's so easy for fans to just move on to the "next big thing".

After a year, it isn't fun any more. If you're not funny and engaging every week, you're finished. Even though no one asked you to, you feel an obligation to your audience to keep it going. What started out as a lark and creative outlet is now just one big rocky burden. It won't ever end, and quitting is unthinkable.

I can easily see where depression and hopelessness would be a thing. Add to that the fact that the computer screen seems to make us all completely sociopathic towards whomever is on the other end, treating them as cardboard cutout targets for our own (not so) witty abuse, and we've built a very dangerous playground for humans.
william
she an arby's gal?

might help.

self-medication*.

- KKM

* - of beefy n cheesy kind**.

** array of sauces / condiments left to personal choice.

nein51
Pretty good synopsis. She shows some clips that I love. It just shows how curated social media really is. Clips where she is clearly on the verge of a breakdown before or after one of her videos. You didn't see that. You just saw the 10 mins she wanted you to see. So much of social media is like that.

It really a powerful watch. The last few minutes are a montage I skipped but the first 20-23 mins are really good.

If you know someone with depression you'll recognize it pretty quickly. I know I fell into that trap with my wife "why are you happy, there is nothing to be sad about right now" without realizing it wasn't that simple. The struggle of "do I take this medicine" is very real.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.