Who was the best Batman?

2,646 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mitch Blood Green
Golem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Val Kilmer.
George Clooney.
Ben Affleck.
Michael Keaton.
Adam West.
Christian Bale.

I'm going with Christian Bale. Thoughts?
MrGolfguy
Adam West set the mark and is still up on a pedestal by himself - for obvious reasons

Out of the rest it's got to be Michael Keaton.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Golem
MrGolfguy said:

Adam West set the mark and is still up on a pedestal by himself - for obvious reasons

Out of the rest it's got to be Michael Keaton.

GREAT SCOTT!!!!
Stranger
Adam West.

If any of those other imposters were any good they would given the role to one of them permanently.
Golem
Stranger said:

Adam West.

If any of those other imposters were any good they would given the role to one of them permanently.

The Bale version kind of did since it was envisioned as a trilogy.
Mitch Blood Green
GolemIII said:

Val Kilmer.
George Clooney.
Ben Affleck.
Michael Keaton.
Adam West.
Christian Bale.

Christian Bale.

Who was the worst? That's a great debate.
Mitch Blood Green
Stranger said:

Adam West.

Great nostalgia.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Adam West should be in a different category for campiness.

The Nolan Batman trilogy is untouchable as far as comic book movies go, though Logan and Deadpool aren't that far behind. So yeah, Bale in a landslide, while Michael Keaton is easily in second place and I guess Val Kilmer in third.
4th and Inches
GolemIII said:

Val Kilmer.
George Clooney.
Ben Affleck.
Michael Keaton.
Adam West.
Christian Bale.

Adam West is like an iconic cartoony batman, better than many of those on that list.

Christian Bale played a completely different style of Batman so it is tough for me to judge him against the others. He was better than Ben Affleck.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
El Oso
Somebody tried to get me to comment on the best Joker recently. I think my answer is the same here.

The different Batman's are too varied to compare them fairly for the title of best.

That said--the suckiest Batman would have to be Kilmer or Afleck.
Sam Lowry
For me it's a toss-up between Keaton and Bale. Haven't seen Affleck or Clooney though.
Kyle
Gruvin said:

GolemIII said:

Val Kilmer.
George Clooney.
Ben Affleck.
Michael Keaton.
Adam West.
Christian Bale.

Adam West is like an iconic cartoony batman, better than many of those on that list.

Christian Bale played a completely different style of Batman so it is tough for me to judge him against the others. He was better than Ben Affleck.
Second (second comment). Really depends on the type of Batman. I'm not a comic book guy, so no frame of reference. I thought Keaton's understated performance was really good, and I lived the Nicholson Joker and that movie - it is a shame IMHO it lived on with all the other incarnations. I think Clooney actually would have been really good in the first couple - IIRC, he had the worst script / movie / villains.

FWIW - watched Justice League last week ... did not think Affleck was terrible.
Oldbear83
Worst so far: Val Kilmer

2nd worst so far: Ben Affleck

Future Worst: Vin Diesel
Kyle
Oldbear83 said:

The African American lesbian or transgender future Batman might disagree.
Oldbear83
Kyle said:

Oldbear83 said:

The African American lesbian or transgender future Batman might disagree.
BY then the franchise will have devolved to 'Ratman' ...
cowboycwr
It is tough to compare the various Batman actors as each of them plays a different version (as other posters have pointed out).

West was a for TV, live action cartoon version (essentially).

Bale and Affleck have played a darker Batman. Clooney, Keaton, Kilmer played a light hearted one who didn't separate much between Batman/ Wayne.

For me Bale is the best due to the darkness, acting between the two egos, and many other factors.

Afflect wasn't that bad but still might be at the bottom of my list, mainly due to the fact the story and movies he is involved with sucked.
cowboycwr
El Oso said:

Somebody tried to get me to comment on the best Joker recently. I think my answer is the same here.

The different Batman's are too varied to compare them fairly for the title of best.

Agreed. The Heath Ledger joker was a great version of it but he was not focused on "joking" / laughing like the tv version or the Nicholson version.
Mitch Blood Green
El Oso said:

Afleck had a gun.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.