100 years of our ranch in Pecos County

2,157 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by KOKQB70
Pecos 45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On September of 1919, my grandfather rode into Pecos County on horseback.
We threw a party to mark 100 years of being at the same place last weekend.
Here are the photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/78C4MNW

And here's the link to the video I produced (and showed) that night. (Turn up the volume!)

“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
william
congrats.

not too many of those anymore.

- KKM
Fetterman2024
Mr Tulip
Roland TD-25 drum kit. Solid choice!

Congrats on the centennial celebration!
Hubbs
Very cool. Thanks for sharing
Liteitup
That's cool.
fadskier
I lived in Ozona for three years...hated it. That's not my part of Texas nor my lifestyle but you, my friend, have a proud history and I feel better for having it shared with me. Congratulations!
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
trey3216
Great stuff Kirby! What a tribute.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Pecos 45
fadskier said:

I lived in Ozona for three years...hated it. That's not my part of Texas nor my lifestyle but you, my friend, have a proud history and I feel better for having it shared with me. Congratulations!
Ozona is about 100 miles east of us, and it is a totally different vibe than Pecos County. I tend to believe that we have the finest people out here (save for Clayton Williams).

We also are where the Texas mountains begin, with the Glass Mountains in southern Pecos County.

(PS We had a helluva party last Saturday night.)
Malcolm Forbes
fadskier
Pecos 45 said:

fadskier said:

Ozona is about 100 miles east of us, and it is a totally different vibe than Pecos County. I tend to believe that we have the finest people out here (save for Clayton Williams).

We also are where the Texas mountains begin, with the Glass Mountains in southern Pecos County.

(PS We had a helluva party last Saturday night.)
I had to go to Fort Stockton three times for meetings. Didn't really get to meet anyone there. It's just too remote for me. BEAUTIFUL drive west of Ozona...but just too desolate for me. I admire people who can handle that.I'm more of a medium city guy...
Canada2017
Pecos 45 said:

On September of 1919, my grandfather rode into Pecos County on horseback.
We threw a party to mark 100 years of being at the same place last weekend.
Here are the photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/78C4MNW

And here's the link to the video I produced (and showed) that night. (Turn up the volume!)

Absolutely beautiful.
Pecos 45
fadskier said:

I had to go to Fort Stockton three times for meetings. Didn't really get to meet anyone there. It's just too remote for me. BEAUTIFUL drive west of Ozona...but just too desolate for me. I admire people who can handle that.I'm more of a medium city guy...
I will agree that this part of Texas isn't for everyone. As my blue-eyed bride tells people, "You either love it, or you hate it." (She loves it, BTW.)

I like the solitude, the quiet and the fact that driving a car out here is relaxing, unlike driving in Dallas. Plus we have a ton of wildlife to watch, and great hunting, not to mention the best Tex-Mex in the state.

Yes, the drive from Ozona west is nice, but the best one is taking 385 out of Fort Stockton south to Marathon.
The Glass Mountains are Texas' undiscovered treasure.

See you at McLane this Saturday. I'm driving in for the game. (Alert the media!!!)
Malcolm Forbes
fadskier
Pecos 45 said:

fadskier said:

I will agree that this part of Texas isn't for everyone. As my blue-eyed bride tells people, "You either love it, or you hate it." (She loves it, BTW.)

I like the solitude, the quiet and the fact that driving a car out here is relaxing, unlike driving in Dallas. Plus we have a ton of wildlife to watch, and great hunting, not to mention the best Tex-Mex in the state.

Yes, the drive from Ozona west is nice, but the best one is taking 385 out of Fort Stockton south to Marathon.
The Glass Mountains are Texas' undiscovered treasure.

See you at McLane this Saturday. I'm driving in for the game. (Alert the media!!!)
I remember going to a football game in Alpine. You turn off the interstate and you still have so far to go...however, the landscape is beautiful.
Mr Tulip
I have a friend born on Galveston. He calls it "BOI". It's not something you can fake. You're either a native islander or you're not.

I'd imagine the same thing is true about the unique geography of the northeast Texas plains. When your brain accepts 200 miles as "near neighbors", the rest of the world just feels different. It isn't completely flat like New Mexico and Kansas. It isn't full of trees like east Texas. When you're attached to that rolling, expansive landscape, you feel both microscopically insignificant and impossibly huge at the same time.

As a city boy who could get lost in a paper bag unless GPS led me out, I've always looked in awe at my forebears who could stand on one sloping ridge and be able to tell what was over the next sloping ridge. I'd spend 2 days walking in a tight circle before expiring!
HunterBear
If you (Pecos) had on a green shirt and a cowboy hat, I saw you a number of rows below me toward the end of the game. Hope you had a safe trip to and fro and enjoyed taking ISU down a notch. I guess there was enough yelling to appreciate going back to some peace and quiet.
Pecos 45
Yes, it was I.
Didn't know it was a gold shirt day until I got there. Only had a green shirt, so I had to go with it.
Thrilling game!
Gave me cardiac arrest, but the Bears won it late!!!

See you at homecoming.
Malcolm Forbes
KOKQB70
Kirby, congrats, great story and history, always will remember meeting you and wife in town at Ft. Stockton for dinner, you are da man!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.