You have $40,000 to spend on a car

4,922 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TechDawgMc
fadskier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What do you get?
RegentCoverup
Land Cruiser.
BellCountyBear
CPO BMW. I have 164,000 miles on my 535i and couldn't be happier with it. Still drives like new with minimal maintenance.
ABC BEAR
fadskier said:

What do you get?
The optional 36 DD interior package.
atomicblast
Telsa or a F250.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
ABC BEAR said:

fadskier said:

What do you get?
The optional 36 DD interior package.
I am also a huge fan of 36 DDs !!!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
dallasmaids
Buying wife the Model Y.

Currently have Tesla Model S. Best car in existence.
fadskier
What is DD?
fadskier
Looks like some of you missed my $40,000 limit. I have a problem spending over that much...
fadskier
Looking at Subaru Outback XT touring...VW Golf R... thought about a standard but I think I'd get tired of that.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
fadskier said:

What is DD?
They are much bigger than C's but a little smaller than EEs. They are just right.

That being said, I am not much of a car guy.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
fadskier
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

fadskier said:

What is DD?
They are much bigger than C's but a little smaller than EEs. They are just right.

What car is it talking about?
fadskier
I also must have all wheel drive and Tesla is out. With all due respect, Tesla's are butt-ugly.
No Longer Gold
fadskier said:

You have $40,000 to spend on a car. What do you get?

I get a whirl-a-whip ice cream cone on my way home from the opening night screening of the movie E.T.
ABC BEAR
fadskier said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

fadskier said:

What is DD?

This feature is only available on the passenger side seat and may block your view when making a right turn. Also, this has the unique option of allowing the passenger to operate the stick-shift while the driver keeps both hands on the wheel. Well worth the extra $$$ spent.

RegentCoverup
With today's creative financing, $40k will get you just about anything.
Mitch Blood Green
What are you buying for? When I cared about "appearance" I looked on the bottom end of luxury (Lexus).

Now that I care about reliability and money, I look at the top end of Hyundai. Sonata Limited , Tucson Limited. Right under 30 and I love more than the Lexus I got rid of. (0% financing didn't suck either).
fadskier
tommie said:

What are you buying for? When I cared about "appearance" I looked on the bottom end of luxury (Lexus).

Now that I care about reliability and money, I look at the top end of Hyundai. Sonata Limited , Tucson Limited. Right under 30 and I love more than the Lexus I got rid of. (0% financing didn't suck either).
I don't care about appearance. Lexus is just a Toyota with lipstick on it. If I get an SUV, I'm looking at Subaru XT Touring, Mazda CX-5 or a Kia Sportage with turbo.

If I go car, the new Mazda 3 with AWD, a Subary Legacy or the Sonata if it has AWD.
4th and Inches
fadskier said:

What is DD?
daily driver or yea...
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
curtpenn
BellCountyBear said:

CPO BMW. I have 164,000 miles on my 535i and couldn't be happier with it. Still drives like new with minimal maintenance.
Bought an '09 528i CPO in '11 with about 30,000 miles on it. Loved it until the warranty ran out. Don't like to think about how much I spent on it or how much time it was in the shop before I finally gave up and traded it in last year. Had about 115,000 miles on it. Everything that could leak, did leak, and the Vanos system was needing several $$thousand in repairs. Hated to see it go as I loved the look and handling, but couldn't stand the pain anymore. You are blessed.
curtpenn
So much depends on your personal preferences. I've been a Euro sedan owner almost exclusively since the '80s, while my wife has driven an assortment of kid friendly SUVs. In my mix were 2 BMWs, 3 Volvos, 2 Jags, and a Saab. Loved all of them. Most of them were some sort of 2-3 year old CPO with maybe 20,000-30,000 miles, or had extended warranties. Prices ranged from about $18,000 - 32,000. Decided to revert to my childhood last year and traded in both a Volvo and BMW for an '18 Cadillac ATS Coupe with 6-spd manual (hard to find). Only had 2,500 miles and CPO out to 100,000 miles and another 5 years. It's been a great experience so far. Haven't had so much fun in a car with my clothes on since the '70s! If I had a $40,000 budget, I'd be looking for an ATS-V or maybe a CTS-V or VSport. They are wickedly fast with crazy good handling.

Not a V or V-Sport, but you mentioned AWD and the 3.0 Twin Turbo is still very quick:

https://www.sewellcadillac-dallas.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2017-Cadillac-CT6-4dr_Sdn_3.0L_Turbo_Premium_Luxury_AWD-Dallas-TX/3496625583
fadskier
curtpenn said:

So much depends on your personal preferences. I've been a Euro sedan owner almost exclusively since the '80s, while my wife has driven an assortment of kid friendly SUVs. In my mix were 2 BMWs, 3 Volvos, 2 Jags, and a Saab. Loved all of them. Most of them were some sort of 2-3 year old CPO with maybe 20,000-30,000 miles, or had extended warranties. Prices ranged from about $18,000 - 32,000. Decided to revert to my childhood last year and traded in both a Volvo and BMW for an '18 Cadillac ATS Coupe with 6-spd manual (hard to find). Only had 2,500 miles and CPO out to 100,000 miles and another 5 years. It's been a great experience so far. Haven't had so much fun in a car with my clothes on since the '70s! If I had a $40,000 budget, I'd be looking for an ATS-V or maybe a CTS-V or VSport. They are wickedly fast with crazy good handling.

Not a V or V-Sport, but you mentioned AWD and the 3.0 Twin Turbo is still very quick:

https://www.sewellcadillac-dallas.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2017-Cadillac-CT6-4dr_Sdn_3.0L_Turbo_Premium_Luxury_AWD-Dallas-TX/3496625583
I've always bought new cars...I know, I know....but this is definitely a possibility. My wife commutes for work and we bought her a mazda 3 hatchback in 2012...dang thing was a blast to drive. I LOOKED for reasons to leave the house. It was not a turbo or anything but stinkin fun to drive.

I've been told that I need to look at CPOs and used...
SSadler
ABC BEAR said:

fadskier said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

fadskier said:

What is DD?

This feature is only available on the passenger side seat and may block your view when making a right turn. Also, this has the unique option of allowing the passenger to operate the stick-shift while the driver keeps both hands on the wheel. Well worth the extra $$$ spent.

" . . . allowing the passenger to operate the stick-shift while the driver keeps both hands on the wheel."

. . . there's just something wrong about this . . .in so many ways . . .
curtpenn
fadskier said:

curtpenn said:

I've always bought new cars...I know, I know....but this is definitely a possibility. My wife commutes for work and we bought her a mazda 3 hatchback in 2012...dang thing was a blast to drive. I LOOKED for reasons to leave the house. It was not a turbo or anything but stinkin fun to drive.

I've been told that I need to look at CPOs and used...
I tend to keep cars maybe 3-5 years and operate them between 25,000 - 100,000 miles. If I drove fewer miles and/or knew I'd keep them longer, I'd look at new. We've gone new for my wife since 2000; bought a new Excursion then and traded it in 2010 for a new Lincoln MKX. Only had 75,000 miles on the Excursion. Loved it, but it was a V10 and got single digit mileage around town. Bought her a new MKX last year and one of our kids still has the old one. Very, very satisfied with all of her vehicles and she doesn't get as bored with cars as I do - lol.

I've had outstanding service from Volvos. Really like the current S60 and S90. You can easily find a CPO in your budget:

https://cpo.volvocars.us/enus/volvo/s90
Media Bear
fadskier said:

What do you get?
A good solid $25,000 car (what I bought my latest new car for) -- and pocket the rest.
fadskier
Media Bear said:

fadskier said:

What do you get?
A good solid $25,000 car (what I bought my latest new car for) -- and pocket the rest.
What'd you get?
Mr Tulip
I guess the first question would be "What are your needs?"

I play bass, drums, and own a Great Dane. I'm going to need a minivan. I'm not a huge fan of minivans, and they don't exactly check the "cool" factor box, but they have tons of easily reconfigurable room, and a low bumper.

Don't get me wrong. I love cool cars. Being proud of your ride is important. I don't get thrilled about minivans. However, I have to have at least one in the family, because an SVT810 weighs around 150 lbs. Boosting one into the back of a pickup is ROUGH, even if that pickup can tow a bulldozer up a flaming mountain of lava.

Really, my car is a way to move stuff that won't fit on my bicycle.
Iron Claw
Used MB SUV with about 25-30k miles for $30-35k. Usually well taken care of, some coming off lease. We get the ML 350 AWD, now the GLE I believe. MB quality, gets about 22 mpg and is smooth and fast running.
Gold Tron
Iron Claw said:

Used MB SUV with about 25-30k miles for $30-35k. Usually well taken care of, some coming off lease. We get the ML 350 AWD, now the GLE I believe. MB quality, gets about 22 mpg and is smooth and fast running.
Just bought a CPO GLS and my wife loves it. Drives like a sedan.
LIB,MR BEARS
Kia Telluride
Media Bear
fadskier said:

Media Bear said:

fadskier said:

What do you get?
What'd you get?
2015 Chrysler 200 limited
midgett
Waiting for the 2020 Honda Ridgeline to be released. Beginning to believe it won't be by year end.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Yugo. I would buy 80 of them.
Iron Claw
Carlos Safety said:

Yugo. I would buy 80 of them.

You might have some cash left over. You might also have trouble finding 80 of em.
FKA tri it
TechDawgMc
fadskier said:

tommie said:

I don't care about appearance. Lexus is just a Toyota with lipstick on it. If I get an SUV, I'm looking at Subaru XT Touring, Mazda CX-5 or a Kia Sportage with turbo.

If I go car, the new Mazda 3 with AWD, a Subary Legacy or the Sonata if it has AWD.

I'd suggest looking at Nissan. Think Rogue is the basic car you're comparing to (though that's closer to 30k). Think you could get a Pathfinder for $40k
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.