What do you drive?

3,046 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by william
fadskier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just for fun...

Me? I have a 2014 Chevy Impala LTZ that my son will take to college next year so I'll be in the market. Wife drives a 2019 Kia Niro as she commutes to work and it gets 45mpg.

I'm a car guy so this is just a thread to find out what other people drive.
curtpenn
Old guy here reverting to his childhood. My first car was a '65 Impala SS coupe my dad and I rebuilt. It was stolen and stripped while I was home my sophomore year at Baylor. It was replaced by '74 Capri (German-made Ford) coupe with manual. Several decades of mostly Euro/dad sedans followed. Traded in a BMW and Volvo last year for an '18 Cadillac ATS coupe with 6-spd manual after having to overcome many objections from my wife. Full circle back to US-made coupe. Loving it!!!!! My wife drove 20+ years of Suburbans and an Excursion followed by 2 Lincoln MKXs. Her current ride is an '18 MKX. Highly satisfactory if you need an SUV. Yeah, I'm still a gearhead.
Mr Tulip
I have a beloved 2000 Dodge Durango that I'm now trying to keep going for as long as possible. Right now, it's a little rickety, as I badly need to rebuild the front end (linkages are worn out, etc). It's a good car for an amateur, since the engine bay is huge and you can get to stuff to work on it.

The wife uses the 2011 Toyota Sienna XLE minivan. A very comfortable living room on wheels. Unglamourous and unsexy, but reliable, safe, comfortable, and useful.

The daughter is staked to a 2013 Nissan Juke Turbo AWD. Bought it used. Found a few things later on that the previous owner should have done better. Nissan could have spent a bit more time thinking out some of the engineering details (we don't all operate transmission temps on 85deg max days), but I have high hopes for that vehicle.

Truth be told, my main conveyance is a 2001 Trek 4500 mountain bike. It's the Ford F150 of mountain bikes. Not top of the line exotic. Can't do 15ft drops. Tough, though, and straightforward. I've got saddlebags and pack-racks, so unless someone has to come with me, or I'm hauling instruments, I can go get groceries for 3 days for the family. It has lights and a sound system, so I prefer pedaling everywhere in solitude versus hassling with traffic.
fadskier
curtpenn said:

Old guy here reverting to his childhood. My first car was a '65 Impala SS coupe my dad and I rebuilt. It was stolen and stripped while I was home my sophomore year at Baylor. It was replaced by '74 Capri (German-made Ford) coupe with manual. Several decades of mostly Euro/dad sedans followed. Traded in a BMW and Volvo last year for an '18 Cadillac ATS coupe with 6-spd manual after having to overcome many objections from my wife. Full circle back to US-made coupe. Loving it!!!!! My wife drove 20+ years of Suburbans and an Excursion followed by 2 Lincoln MKXs. Her current ride is an '18 MKX. Highly satisfactory if you need an SUV. Yeah, I'm still a gearhead.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/784643859/overview/
Bear8084
Love cars. Especially fast ones. I try to make the local Cars and Coffees here when I can.

Currently driving a 2017 VW GTI.
Mitch Blood Green
I drive the back seat of an Uber mostly or I rent either a Chevy Impala or Hyundai Sonata. I prefer the Sonata. Heated seats, steering wheel and wireless charger.
SMack
91 Plymouth Acclaim
fubar
fadskier said:

Just for fun...

Me? I have a 2014 Chevy Impala LTZ that my son will take to college next year so I'll be in the market. Wife drives a 2019 Kia Niro as she commutes to work and it gets 45mph.

I wish my wife would stick to 45mph. Do you have a governor on it?

1974 Pinto Station Wagon for me. Wood paneling and all the other options.
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
william
wow - same here. does yours have the wings?

PA.

... and, as always, TIA.

- denny laine BHJ

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }
BellCountyBear
2011 BMW 535i. 165,000 miles and still going strong!
fadskier
Bear8084 said:

Love cars. Especially fast ones. I try to make the local Cars and Coffees here when I can.

A golf R is on my list...and also a gti...how are they inside? I'm 6'4"
LIB,MR BEARS
Wife 2008 Toyota Sienna

Me 2016 Toyota Tundra

I don't think you can beat the dependability of a Toyota
El Oso
2015 Kia Forte (bought it 2 months ago)

Had to. 1986 Toyota Camry quit for good.
Bear8084
fadskier said:

Bear8084 said:

A golf R is on my list...and also a gti...how are they inside? I'm 6'4"

I have a base GTI with the DSG, but the interior is very nice. I prefer the plaid racing seats over the leather in the upper trims anyways. I would say try one out because while it is roomy to me, I am 5'10", it is still a smaller hatchback. There may be less headroom for you.
BellCountyBear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Wife 2008 Toyota Sienna

Me 2016 Toyota Tundra

Toyotas just bore the hell out of me. I drove one through high school and college. They are dependable, but lack performance and style in most all other areas.
Bear8084
BellCountyBear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Wife 2008 Toyota Sienna

Me 2016 Toyota Tundra

Toyotas just bore the hell out of me. I drove one through high school and college. They are dependable, but lack performance and style in most all other areas.

Other than the Supra, this is true.
Mr Tulip
My uncle had one of the mid-80s Supras. The ones where you could bore out the engine to 350ci and put twin turbos on it or something.

Lots of fun, but almost frickin uncontrollable on the Minneapolis turnpike!
quash
fubar said:

fadskier said:

Just for fun...

Me? I have a 2014 Chevy Impala LTZ that my son will take to college next year so I'll be in the market. Wife drives a 2019 Kia Niro as she commutes to work and it gets 45mph.

Thought you had the Levis Gremlin for some reason.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
BellCountyBear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Wife 2008 Toyota Sienna

Me 2016 Toyota Tundra

Style.

I've got a 2018 Ford Fusion, white. I have to chirp my car to distinguish it from the other 4 white sedans on the lot.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
nein51
Mr Tulip said:

My uncle had one of the mid-80s Supras. The ones where you could bore out the engine to 350ci and put twin turbos on it or something.

Lots of fun, but almost frickin uncontrollable on the Minneapolis turnpike!

None of those ever approached 350ci but you could turn the boost up a mile in them. Garbage cars but super fun to drive.

Did a 2JZ swap in an early car while I was at Baylor. It was one of the first of its kind. Saw it running around in Austin a few years later after the owner I did the swap for sold it.

My "daily" is an SRT Grand Cherokee. I say "daily" because it gets driven next to never. The garage queen is an SRT Charger. Mama is rocking a Mercedes E350 but I think it's about to be done as I just did the brake lines in it last week (something you don't deal with in Texas. Salt is a *****).
fubar
quash said:

fubar said:

fadskier said:

Just for fun...

Have to admit I misread the thread title. I don't exactly "drive" the 1974 Pinto Wagon. "Push" might be more descriptive. It does have some sweet shag carpet though.

You still have the Matador?
fubar
william said:

PA.

... and, as always, TIA.

- denny laine BHJ

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }
This might be the best car since Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

- albert r. broccoli foob

{ iyp }

{ eyeing roast }
OsoCoreyell
2015 Rubicon
quash
fubar said:

quash said:

fubar said:

fadskier said:

Just for fun...

Have to admit I misread the thread title. I don't exactly "drive" the 1974 Pinto Wagon. "Push" might be more descriptive. It does have some sweet shag carpet though.

You still have the Matador?
Javelin
william
fubar said:

william said:

PA.

... and, as always, TIA.

- denny laine BHJ

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }
This might be the best car since Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

- albert r. broccoli foob

{ iyp }

{ eyeing roast }
a sad tale? perhaps.

but a tale of derring-do reflecting man's eternal quest for more - never to be satisfied with the ordinary; the status quo - indeed.

{ LFS grabs mug and stares out the window somewhat misty eyed and reflects on man's eternal striving }

>>
The Flying Pinto That Killed Its Inventor

Matt Sonjak

The flying car has been invented over and over again. The problem is, each iteration has fallen somewhere on the line between amusing failure and outright disaster. Perhaps the most infamous example was the AVE Mizar, a.k.a. the "Flying Pinto," which killed its inventor on an early voyage.

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines

Henry Smolinski was born in 1933, one of eight children in a Polish American family living in Cuyahoga, Ohio. After attending the Northrop Institute of Technology's aeronautical engineering school, he began his career at North American Aviation as a structural engineer working on jet engine and aircraft design. In 1959, he joined Rocketdyne as a project engineer, working on their missile development and aerospace programs.

After a decade at Rocketdyne, Smolinsky left to form his own company with his friend, Hal Blake. They founded Advanced Vehicle Engineers in Van Nuys, California, in 1971, expressly to design and build a flying car. Their first and only model was AVE Mizar (named after one of the stars that form the Big Dipper's handle).

The idea was simple enough: take a regular car and a small airplane and modify them both, so a person could drive the car to an airport, fit the car and the waiting airframe together, take off from the runway, come down a few hundred miles away at another air strip, detach from the airframe and then drive the car away.
<<

read on, if you dare.

dare to dream, that is.

{ sipping coffee }

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/31341/flying-pinto-killed-its-inventor

Fetterman2024
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.