CBD Oil... The Next Miracle Cure or The New Snake Oil???

5,944 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MIABear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hear ads about this stuff most everyday. A whole bunch of folks selling this stuff. The sellers are claiming that it gives you pain relief from arthritis, anxiety, cancer, and helps acne, heart health, etc. I am surprised they don't claim it will pick winning lotto numbers and will also allow you to live to be 130.

I truly know nothing about it but wonder if anyone has personal experience with it. Is it regulated? Has it been FDA approved? Is it expensive? Yes, I am skeptical.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Keyser Soze
I did not find much on CBD Oil but here is a good resource to look if an alternative medicine has hope or is a fraud

https://www.quackwatch.org/

Wichitabear
Interesting. I have never heard of it.
Iron Claw
I have a couple of relatable stories here. My wife has chronic Achilles problems and has tried a number of treatments, notably PRP a few times. This last time it didn't produce the results as previous treatments have. She is using a CBD oil topical application mixed up by a pharmacy. She can't tell that it's doing anything. I don't think her cream has a very high percentage of CBD so I think the next step is to find a more concentrated mixture.

I also know of an older man (mid 60s) that smokes hemp for the CBD. He had a horse accident that resulted in a rod, plates, and screws being installed to repair a shattered femur. He has chronic pain and says one hemp cigarette a day provides almost a full day of pain relief. This guy lives in the metroplex and has begun to grow it on a piece of land in OK.

That's all I know about it.
FKA tri it
4th and Inches
It has some regulation from the state, nothing from FDA that I know of

It has definitely shown to be beneficial in some cases much like marijuana has been shown to have medicinal positive. As always, Caveat Emptor
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
KEBasketball
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I truly know nothing.
Fixed it for everyone...you're welcome.

- KEB
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I reckon HEB Basketball must be a CBD oil salesman. Did not mean to hurt feelings. Sorry.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Wichitabear
This is weird.
Kyle
Good friends believe it is a miracle cure. Seems odd, but who knows.
4yrletterbear
I started using CBD oil for my severe hand arthritis in November if 2018. Purchased it in California and brought it back to Texas. It helped and I then replinished my supply at my orthopedic doctors office. I take drops by mouth daily, i have gummies for an extra hit before olaying golf and i have the paste rub on version. All of mine is a high % of CBD manufactured buy the best companies.

Had left knee replacement surgery last August and I used it directly on my knee with the paste version 3 times a day for 3 months. At my 6 weeks and 3 month checkups my surgeon said I was ahead of 95% of his patients by a mile. Now I worked out 5 days a week as well and as an old coach I know how to rehabilitate.

I did not tell him about the CBD until his last compliment as we were about to end our session. He has been doing knee replacements for 25 years and is an excellent surgeon, but no one had ever told him that they used CBD oil. He was entreaged, but gave the AMA response that he looks forward to clinical studies to see if my results is more universal.
Doc Holliday
CBD flower works the best. It's actually amazing how well it works for sleep.
quash
The federal govt has prevented testing for medicinal uses for decades, so we are way behind. It needs good solid research but meanwhile, as with anything, "if it works for you..."

Marijuana is not just two ingredients (THC and CBD) and the chemical nature of the input varies with the form of delivery. Remember your chem classes: heat changes things. "Michael Bostwick, a psychiatrist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, has also published extensively on the therapeutic effects of marijuana. He agreed that although federal illegality is a primary obstacle to studying cannabis in the U.S., there are other factors that make understanding the basic science behind the drug's potential therapeutic effects a daunting prospect. "I'm not sure that the research can catch up with the social use, meaning this: that, at least within the current [US Food and Drug Administration] approaches to medication, which is how every other medication in our country is approved, there is no precedent and no model for, first, smoking a substance and, second, using a substance that is not pure but contains many, many different compounds in varying amounts."

I think we will eventually find a variety of uses for CBD. And we will also find that many of the claimed uses are completely bogus.
Oldbear83
I think CBD is a lot like vaping. It has some good uses, but people should be careful before trusting it too much. I have seen studies showing that almost half of products claiming to use CBD have significantly less CBD than they claim, and what worries me are the additives sometimes found in its place with no warning on the label.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Doc Holliday
Oldbear83 said:

I think CBD is a lot like vaping. It has some good uses, but people should be careful before trusting it too much. I have seen studies showing that almost half of products claiming to use CBD have significantly less CBD than they claim, and what worries me are the additives sometimes found in its place with no warning on the label.

That's why I use the flower. It's the most natural form.

It's basically weed without THC. They sell it by the joint pre rolled or in larger quantities.

You don't get a mental high from it, but definitely strong body high.
Born_A_Bear
Do you buy it locally or on line? The CBD stores are all over Houston and have the oil but I have not seen the "flower's.
william
when I worked at the 'by's I would take home some au jus - maybe a quart at a time - use it as a tonic for scalp and skin. even gargled with it.

reinvigorating.

bracing.

- BUmma

curative.

restoring.

Fetterman2024
Nguyen One Soon
My primary care doc had a poster advertising their CBD products when I was in last week.
quash
Nguyen One Soon said:

My primary care doc had a poster advertising their CBD products when I was in last week.
That would bother me a little.

is your primary care doc a chiropractor? That's the only place I've ever seen supplements peddled
4th and Inches
quash said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

is your primary care doc a chiropractor? That's the only place I've ever seen supplements peddled
in the modern age of medicine? You go to an out dated doctors offices... so many doctors are doing supplements, nutrition, DME and other things that are not covered by insurance to increase profitability of the clinic as contracted rate insurance reimbursement those down. Global fee schedules for contracted providers have been decreasing almost yearly over the last decade.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Aliceinbubbleland
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I hear ads about this stuff most everyday. A whole bunch of folks selling this stuff. The sellers are claiming that it gives you pain relief from arthritis, anxiety, cancer, and helps acne, heart health, etc. I am surprised they don't claim it will pick winning lotto numbers and will also allow you to live to be 130.

I truly know nothing about it but wonder if anyone has personal experience with it. Is it regulated? Has it been FDA approved? Is it expensive? Yes, I am skeptical.
Here ya go...

Quote:

Hadacol was a patent medicine marketed as a vitamin supplement. Its principal attraction, however, was that it contained 12 percent alcohol (listed on the tonic bottle's label as a "preservative"), which made it quite popular in the dry counties of the southern United States. It was the product of four-term Louisiana State Senator Dudley J. LeBlanc, a Democrat from Erath in Vermilion Parish in southwestern Louisiana. He was not a medical doctor, nor a registered pharmacist, but had a strong talent for self-promotion. Time magazine once described him as "a stem-winding salesman who knows every razzle-dazzle switch in the pitchman's trade"

I remember when they asked LeBlanc why he name it Hadacol. He said they hadacol it something.
Dia del DougO

Sounds good, but I'm not sure I could work it into my budget after paying for all the Lipozene and Extenz.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Redbrickbear
Doc Holliday said:

Do you mean powder that you put in a class and drink?

Or what you smoke?
quash
Gruvin said:

quash said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

in the modern age of medicine? You go to an out dated doctors offices... so many doctors are doing supplements, nutrition, DME and other things that are not covered by insurance to increase profitability of the clinic as contracted rate insurance reimbursement those down. Global fee schedules for contracted providers have been decreasing almost yearly over the last decade.
I've changed primary care physicians almost annually for four years. No supplements, no side gigs. Nothing new about DME, I had a TENS unit in the 80's. Didn't work for the prescribed problem. GF liked it, tho...
riflebear
4yrletterbear said:

I started using CBD oil for my severe hand arthritis in November if 2018. Purchased it in California and brought it back to Texas. It helped and I then replinished my supply at my orthopedic doctors office. I take drops by mouth daily, i have gummies for an extra hit before olaying golf and i have the paste rub on version. All of mine is a high % of CBD manufactured buy the best companies.

Had left knee replacement surgery last August and I used it directly on my knee with the paste version 3 times a day for 3 months. At my 6 weeks and 3 month checkups my surgeon said I was ahead of 95% of his patients by a mile. Now I worked out 5 days a week as well and as an old coach I know how to rehabilitate.

I did not tell him about the CBD until his last compliment as we were about to end our session. He has been doing knee replacements for 25 years and is an excellent surgeon, but no one had ever told him that they used CBD oil. He was entreaged, but gave the AMA response that he looks forward to clinical studies to see if my results is more universal.

What brand do you use?
Doc Holliday
Born_A_Bear said:

Do you buy it locally or on line? The CBD stores are all over Houston and have the oil but I have not seen the "flower's.
You can buy it CBD Plus or online.

I got 'Duke' brand and pre rolls.
Doc Holliday
Redbrickbear said:

Doc Holliday said:

Do you mean powder that you put in a class and drink?

Or what you smoke?
You smoke it. It's literally weed without THC.
Born_A_Bear
Thanks Doc.
Doc Holliday
Born_A_Bear said:

Thanks Doc.
MIABear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I'd say it depends on the brand and the quality of CBD. I've used Charlotte's Web which is pretty good. A little pricey, but it definitely reduces anxiety.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.