Stock Market

7,612 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aliceinbubbleland
Robert Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Big question is, should your money be invested in the market on 9/4/2020? Should Trump win in a landslide and the election be over, the market could have a Yuge one day and one week leap upwards. Should we have no winner and an indication that the election will drag out for weeks or months, we could see a Yuge collapse/ correction down. For now, I am leaning towards landslide for Trump and Americans deciding the world is not coming to an end after all. The best of times ahead of us.

Just my $.02 and opinion. What do you folks think?
I will stay heavy in equities no matter what. If it goes down, I will ride it down, put in more cash, then ride it back up.
Aliceinbubbleland
Wished I'd said that in 1987, 2001, 2008 and especially in March of this year.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Robert Wilson said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Big question is, should your money be invested in the market on 9/4/2020? Should Trump win in a landslide and the election be over, the market could have a Yuge one day and one week leap upwards. Should we have no winner and an indication that the election will drag out for weeks or months, we could see a Yuge collapse/ correction down. For now, I am leaning towards landslide for Trump and Americans deciding the world is not coming to an end after all. The best of times ahead of us.

Just my $.02 and opinion. What do you folks think?
I will stay heavy in equities no matter what. If it goes down, I will ride it down, put in more cash, then ride it back up.
I think you knew what I meant, Robert, but my question was actually is it wise to be in the market the day after the election? (I have corrected my original post). With mostly bad news and uncertainty the last 30 days, the market has soared!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
The stock market gods giveth and the stock market gods taketh away. Apparently Anthony Fauci let out a loud fart this morning and reminded us that Covid will be the death of us all. LOL!!!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Guy Noir
My concerns are that we will experience high inflation in the long run, and secondly the loss of assets due to taxation. I am retired and here is what I am doing.

1. Move a small percent of my assets to precious metals.
2. Leave most of my assets in equity/bond mix and high dividend stocks.
3, Since much of my assets are in IRA, I will look to slowly move them to accounts that can avoid Federal taxation.

The Federal Government is on a financial path where they will run off the rails.

Guy Noir
I am concerned about Oil Exploration Companies. With the COVID Pandemic the demand drop off was surprising and it hurt the stocks. Now that the economy os picking up there seems to be a tremendous push to move to non fossil fuel automobiles and power generation. I still own a few oil stocks but I just don't know where the oil industry is headed.
Bearitto
Guy Noir said:

I am concerned about Oil Exploration Companies. With the COVID Pandemic the demand drop off was surprising and it hurt the stocks. Now that the economy os picking up there seems to be a tremendous push to move to none fossil fuel automobiles and power generation. I still own a few oil stocks but I just don't know where the oil industry is headed.

Not technically possible. Fossil fuels have at least 50-75 years of dominance left
william
Guy Noir said:

I am concerned about Oil Exploration Companies. With the COVID Pandemic the demand drop off was surprising and it hurt the stocks. Now that the economy os picking up there seems to be a tremendous push to move to none fossil fuel automobiles and power generation. I still own a few oil stocks but I just don't know where the oil industry is headed.
you should be - the industry is well past its prime.

the days of loose lending are over. so the smaller dudes esp w/ bad Bal Sheets are done.

BUT we will still need some oil and nat. gas for the foreseeable future.

stick to the large good balance sheet Permian players and large cap service and transport co's.

- KKM

>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
RegentCoverup
william said:

Guy Noir said:

you should be - the industry is well past its prime.

the days of loose lending are over. so the smaller dudes esp w/ bad Bal Sheets are done.

BUT we will still need some oil and nat. gas for the foreseeable future.

stick to the large good balance sheet Permian players and large cap service and transport co's.

- KKM

Agree with your final point, but I'll throw the Haynesville in that, too.

Fracking is sort of a mixed bag. It means continued production for the foreseeable future across all plays, but it also means lower costs over time. Our consumption is changing, electric cars, wind, solar, have driven some of our consumption down. It won't be a savior, but you're right, it will keep oil from booming.

I'm afraid we'll be talking about debt cancellation and loose lending for the next 5 years, sadly.
BearTruth13
As someone in the oil business, it is past it's prime.

We will need oil and gas for another 50 years but the demand has capped in my opinion. In the next 5-10 years, you will see a significant drop in airline traffic and even people driving to work. Fracking has made oil too cheap. Commodity through and through and there is too much of the commodity now.
william
so how much was written off / "impaired" this go around? $150B?

- KKM

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4315138-u-s-e-and-p-debt-2020-part-1-borrowing-base-reviews-maturities-and-search-for-holes-in-wall

not sure abt the Haynesville. Even the EF is well (pardon the pun) past it prime and is only feasible in a few swaths.

might be a few areas that will work - but I cant see any new money headed there way any time soon.

>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
RegentCoverup
BearTruth13 said:

As someone in the oil business, it is past it's prime.

We will need oil and gas for another 50 years but the demand has capped in my opinion. In the next 5-10 years, you will see a significant drop in airline traffic and even people driving to work. Fracking has made oil too cheap. Commodity through and through and there is too much of the commodity now.
Completely agree with you on the bold. I see the ERCOT data in Texas and it's fascinating that even with a population influx, it has....decreased? that's not supposed to happen, but like you said, it is.

Airline flights that are long haul are remarkably efficient and will continue to decrease in cost because of technology. If we sucked it up and put in ONE nuclear power plant(what's the point of West Nebraska?) and a series of battery storage facilities, we could decrease the costs even further. I just think nuclear is still a reality.

The majors will continue to consolidate, which is why i might play a few of those and wait for the merger.

I'm not a big believer in this, but those costs being cheaper has an indirect effect on China, meaning we can potentially source product back to Mexico rather than using the Chinese as a manufacturing partner. A lot of effects of long term low oil, that will continue to play out.
hodedofome
Most of us are in Texas so everyone is still talking about oil and gas. But the future is digital. Stop looking at physical products, look at the digital world which has decades of growth coming and has high margins as the marginal cost of distributing their product all over the world is practically $0.

Stocks to buy on pullbacks and hold for a long time (best place to buy is when the 14 period RSI is below 30):

Shopify
Amazon
Netflix
Bill.com
Coupa Software
Salesforce
Adobe
Facebook
Google
Apple
Twilio
RingCentral
Zoom
DocuSign
Avalara
Microsoft
Tesla
ServiceNow
Okta
Fastly
Cloudflare
Datadog
The Trade Desk
ZScaler
NVidia
Square
Paypal
Roku

And the Snowflake IPO when it comes out.

Luke 10:28 "Do this and you will live"
Pea Weevil
I was down about $450,000 after WHO declared the pandemic. I'm now back to within $100,000 of my original peak. At one point I was within $70,000 of my peak but the market dropped again. I am however better positioned and have about 30% of my money in relatively safe investments.

I think the only question here is how likely is Biden to win? If he does the market will crash far worse than the pandemic reaction.
Aliceinbubbleland
Nice selection hodedofome. I put it on Excel and if you had bought 10 shares in each of those companies you list priced as of 9/9/2020 you would have gained about $4,545 or 3.72% as of this morning.

Ironically the only four negatives between 9/9 and today would be AMZN, AAPL, FB and GOOG, the traditional powerhouses.

I've traded a lot of the stocks you listed but I've never been successful. I get nervous and sell too quickly, usually at a loss.
william
Pea Weevil said:

I was down about $450,000 after WHO declared the pandemic. I'm now back to within $100,000 of my original peak. At one point I was within $70,000 of my peak but the market dropped again. I am however better positioned and have about 30% of my money in relatively safe investments.

I think the only question here is how likely is Biden to win? If he does the market will crash far worse than the pandemic reaction.
yeah, b,b,but, you've saved $423k driving that Prelude these many decades.

- KKM

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating dount }
hodedofome
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Nice selection hodedofome. I put it on Excel and if you had bought 10 shares in each of those companies you list priced as of 9/9/2020 you would have gained about $4,545 or 3.72% as of this morning.

Ironically the only four negatives between 9/9 and today would be AMZN, AAPL, FB and GOOG, the traditional powerhouses.

I've traded a lot of the stocks you listed but I've never been successful. I get nervous and sell too quickly, usually at a loss.
You can follow me on Collective2. This is what you can do with a concentrated portfolio of SAAS stocks - mostly buy and hold. https://collective2.com/details/129385733

It can be volatile but they are taking over the world and will be fantastic investments until the tech bubble finally bursts (which isn't likely for another 3-5 years).
Aliceinbubbleland
Looking at this scenario in a different light, if I had put $10k in each of your selections on 9/9 I would have made $20,004.27 or 6.9% since 9/9/2020. Not bad indeed.
Aliceinbubbleland
The Marsico Global Fund (MGLBX) has about ten of the holdings you listed above. One of my favorite funds.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.