Ozarks

2,185 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Flaming Moderate
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I decided not to renew my Netflix account I discontinued last summer. I'm going to miss Ozarks. Anyone here care to give a summary?
BellCountyBear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I decided not to renew my Netflix account I discontinued last summer. I'm going to miss Ozarks. Anyone here care to give a summary?
It's good if you're into watching people dig themselves deeper into a hole. Justin Bateman is a really good actor.
Booray
Seen 8 out of the 10 episodes. Great season so far
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Started binge watching this with my wife, Alice. Kind of addicting. Yep, ole Jason Bateman solves one problem and is immediately knee deep in another one. I am two episodes into season two.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
BUrbon
Helluva finish to S3
Mitch Blood Green
I just finished season 1. I no longer have Netflix. I have Hulu. Funny how I'd you have Hulu and a family member has Netflix you have Netflix and they have Hulu.

Just saying.
Flaming Moderate
Aliceinbubbleland said:

First, I think Ozark may be the most polarizing show on television that I can remember. I know a ton of people that absolutely love it. I thought it is ridiculously stupid. I powered through seasons two and three out of nothing else to watch.

Short summary:
1. Cartel lawyer gets more involved
2. Wendy and cartel lawyer start to form friendship and partnership and constantly undermine Marty
3. Marty constantly undermines Wendy and cartel lawyer
4. Wendy's crazy brother shows up - messes everything up
5. Cartel lawyer kills brother -> sends Wendy back to Marty
6. Marty pulls another Mary Sue and defeats Other Cartel
7. Cartel Boss kills Cartel Lawyer

1. Wendy kills old man Langmore
2. Girl Langmore starts boning Wendy's brother
3. Boy Langmore stars boning Darlene (Darlene killed her husband)

The Avengers movies are more believable.
Aliceinbubbleland
Just WOW. What about the kids? Weren't they being drug into the Web. Reminds me of The Americans, a favorite of ours.
Flaming Moderate
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Just WOW. What about the kids? Weren't they being drug into the Web. Reminds me of The Americans, a favorite of ours.
I think that's really unfair to The Americans, which was a truly great show. My issue with Ozark is:
1. There is no likable characters - I am cheering for the cartel at this point
2. The show spends several episodes on a particular plot and then drops it
3. Like the Americans, they do get in some tricky situations, but unlike the Americans, the writing is not good enough to find an interesting solution - all Mary Sue

On the kids ... not sure ... I think the boy is laundering money through his xbox and the girls is boning lake rats. Actually the girl inexplicably returned after emancipation and now helps run the biz.

Most amazingly, Darlene shot the balls off the Kansas City mob boss' son, and he does nothing in response.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Flaming Moderate said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

I think that's really unfair to The Americans, which was a truly great show. My issue with Ozark is:
1. There is no likable characters - I am cheering for the cartel at this point
2. The show spends several episodes on a particular plot and then drops it
3. Like the Americans, they do get in some tricky situations, but unlike the Americans, the writing is not good enough to find an interesting solution - all Mary Sue

On the kids ... not sure ... I think the boy is laundering money through his xbox and the girls is boning lake rats. Actually the girl inexplicably returned after emancipation and now helps run the biz.

Most amazingly, Darlene shot the balls off the Kansas City mob boss' son, and he does nothing in response.
Actually, I think the pregnant FBI Agent is a likeable character. Now matter how hard she tries to do the right thing and stay the course, she gets screwed over. Even by her bureaucratic boss. Will be interesting to see if she can remain on the side of law and justice. I am pulling for her.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
PartyBear
I like the show. It is very similar to "Breaking Bad" story. I was going to say Marty is a likeable character but I as I thought about it, he really isn't a sympathetic character by the end of season 3 even though he was clearly wanting out at the beginning of the season.

Justin Bateman is also the producer of the show. He said we are entering the end now. He envisions the series as a 4-5 season story.
Flaming Moderate
PartyBear said:

I like the show. It is very similar to "Breaking Bad" story. I was going to say Marty is a likeable character but I as I thought about it, he really isn't a sympathetic character by the end of season 3 even though he was clearly wanting out at the beginning of the season.

Justin Bateman is also the producer of the show. He said we are entering the end now. He envisions the series as a 4-5 season story.
I think that's where I struggle - there really are no stakes. In Breaking Bad, Walt was motivated by caring for his family in the face of a deadly and expensive diagnosis. Even though his evolution into Heisenberg moved him away from that core mission and less likable, he started from a pure perspective. And they White's seemed to have a sympathetic, functional life if you will - easy to cheer for. Marty was in it for greed since day one, and his family dysfunctional: wife having an affair, kids bratty (or at least the girl). I thought the writing was much better on Breaking Bad, and yes Breaking Bad had some crazy moments to escape peril, they relatively were based in Walt's brains or Jessie's street smarts ... someone the Byrde's went from suburbanites to sophisticated criminals in 18 months?!? In the real world, Marty is killed by the Langmore's in episode 2(?), and the show is over.
Malbec
Flaming Moderate said:

PartyBear said:

I think that's where I struggle - there really are no stakes. In Breaking Bad, Walt was motivated by caring for his family in the face of a deadly and expensive diagnosis. Even though his evolution into Heisenberg moved him away from that core mission and less likable, he started from a pure perspective. And they White's seemed to have a sympathetic, functional life if you will - easy to cheer for. Marty was in it for greed since day one, and his family dysfunctional: wife having an affair, kids bratty (or at least the girl). I thought the writing was much better on Breaking Bad, and yes Breaking Bad had some crazy moments to escape peril, they relatively were based in Walt's brains or Jessie's street smarts ... someone the Byrde's went from suburbanites to sophisticated criminals in 18 months?!? In the real world, Marty is killed by the Langmore's in episode 2(?), and the show is over.
Not so. Marty's dead partner was in it for greed. Marty didn't have a clue what his partner was doing until the cartel showed up to kill everyone. He only made the Ozark move as a desperate attempt to save his own life and that of his family. In the beginning the move gave him an opportunity to reform his dysfunctional family, but his wife was irredeemable when it came to finding new ways to redefine greed.
Coke Bear
Malbec said:

Not so. Marty's dead partner was in it for greed. Marty didn't have a clue what his partner was doing until the cartel showed up to kill everyone. He only made the Ozark move as a desperate attempt to save his own life and that of his family. In the beginning the move gave him an opportunity to reform his dysfunctional family, but his wife was irredeemable when it came to finding new ways to redefine greed.

What I find interesting is that Marty and his wife both want to keep the family safe; however, they disagree about how to do it.

Wendy wanted to escalate and diverse and Marty wanted to focus on the business at hand to get the laundering done.

The feds have deeply embedded themselves which complicates matters.

The breakdown of the relationship between Marty and Wendy is creating more issues within their operation.

They don't communicate well. They have now lost Darlene to the hillbillies.

They will need to come together to get out.
Flaming Moderate
Malbec said:

Flaming Moderate said:

PartyBear said:

Those are not mutually exclusive. His partner was going to flip on the cartel, but Marty was not laundering cartel money because he felt strongly about legalized meth.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.