Texas Travels

4,902 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Knight Bear
ABC BEAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Add No Name On The Bullet by Don Graham to the book list. This is an excellent biography of Texas legend, Audie Murphy.
Pecos 45
quash said:

REvansBU71 said:

I live on the Texas side. Only rarely venture to the Arkansas side. They park cars in their yards over there.

I live on the Texas side but there are a lot of good restaurants on the Arkansas side. And you can drink on the streets downtown.

And marry your cousin.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Booray
ABC BEAR said:

Add No Name On The Bullet by Don Graham to the book list. This is an excellent biography of Texas legend, Audie Murphy.

Going to put in on my list
Booray
Our next journey started with in Comanche and Cisco. Interested in the reaction from anyone who lives around there.

https://www.talesfromanemptynest.com/2020/12/18/finding-the-cisco-kid/
beardoc
Great writeup, but I don't think Cisco is on the high plains of Texas. I may be wrong but I think you have to be above the Caprock Escarpment to be on the High Plains.
LIB,MR BEARS
Booray, have you been to Indianola in Calhoun County? It's not much to look at now but, it has quite a history.
quash
Nguyen One Soon said:

quash said:

marekovv said:

Hi. Traveling is always beautiful and captures the mind and soul. Having learned something new, you can find yourself or stay forever in a place that suits you so. But do not forget about the possible negative aspects that may be in such a pastime. When traveling by car, you need to maximally protect yourself from possible risks, since one of your most important actions was driving. You can just be a friend, or you can make yourself insurance for example in https://www.americaninsurance.com/how-drive-without-insurance

But here, of course, whatever is convenient for you, it helped me once. Thanks for attention.
Anybody else smell spam?
Flagged it about 1:00 a.m. Suggest you do also if you haven't already.
Done, thanks.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Booray
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Booray, have you been to Indianola in Calhoun County? It's not much to look at now but, it has quite a history.

Not yet. Looking for a good use of the MLK weekend, maybe that is it.
Bexar Pitts
Pecos 45 said:

Booray said:

Wife and I have been roaming around Texas and I started writing about it. Would be interested in your impressions. Particularly if you are from around Vernon or partial to Western Swing for this installment.

http://talesfromanemptynest.com/home-1/2020/11/12/well-seasoned
A total tangent for you: When I was at Baylor, one of my fellow history majors was David Stricklin, also a BU yell leader. He was the son of Bob Wills' piano player, brother Al Stricklin.
Did his term paper (in 1973) on the importance of Bob Wills and Western Swing to popular music.
I had never seen anyone do a term paper on popular music until then.
David was/is a good guy.
Saw him at my 40th reunion at BU and he's still doing well.

Who says you don't learn good stuff in college?
Had no idea "The Old Piano Pounder" had a son at Baylor in early 70's! Small world, indeed. Love listening to the old Playboys with Tommy Duncan!
Booray
Next adventure: Breckenridge and Albany. Really loved both of these places, particularly Albany.

https://www.talesfromanemptynest.com/2021/01/01/boomtowns-and-buckaroos/
Pecos 45
Fort Griffin is near Albany, and that town is home to the annual Fandangle.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Booray
Pecos 45 said:

Fort Griffin is near Albany, and that town is home to the annual Fandangle.
Fort Griffin and the Fandangle make an appearance in an upcoming episode!
Knight Bear
Booray said:

Wife and I have been roaming around Texas and I started writing about it. Would be interested in your impressions. Particularly if you are from around Vernon or partial to Western Swing for this installment.

http://talesfromanemptynest.com/home-1/2020/11/12/well-seasoned
Loved this. My dad grew up in Vernon (went to school with Roy Orbison, who's dad also worked for my grandfather for a time). We still have family there as my aunt/uncle own Goodrum Wrecker Service (right side of Business 287 as you enter the east side of town). My grandfather was a plumber for many years and also ran all maintenance at Vernon Junior College, now Vernon College. My grandmother worked at Wilbarger's for years.

I have so many fond memories of Vernon and can picture all of the things you described in this blog. Lots of time spent on the Waggoner Ranch (was an Up With People mascot as a young kid when they toured right after a Super Bowl appearance - I can laught at that now!). Lots of rodeos as my grandparents house when they were older was literally down the street from the Santa Rosa grounds. I could go on and on but it would only be for my own trip down memory lane.

Thank you for sharing! Great stuff.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.