Need some support/advice from BU friends

2,674 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HunterBear
fadskier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone had a child that is married and/or lives in a foreign country? Wonder how that works...visits/closeness etc
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Thee University
fadskier said:

Anyone had a child that is married and/or lives in a foreign country? Wonder how that works...visits/closeness etc
Yes. One of my daughters lives in Hong Kong. She's married to an Aussie. To further complicate the situation with Covid she is due in mid- April. She's having twins!

Needless to say we are stressed. Especially my wife. Hong Kong currently has an extensive testing process before you board the flight and again once you arrive. HK has deemed the USA a high risk country so you are treated differently. You immediately go to a testing center at the HK airport and remain there until your test shows negative. You then are taken to a quarantine hotel that is chosen for you where you will be under strict quarantine for 14 to 21 days. You undergo multiple testing and have to eat the meals the hotel brings in. You also are "tagged" with a wristband and a "stay at home" app on your cell phone. You have no visitors or family while at the hotel.

I believe every country is different and Hong Kong might be one of the more strict countries to enter. That is about all I know as of right now. We hope to time everything so that we can get there just prior to the twins deciding to enter the world. It is going to be very stressful but we are going to give it our best.

If you have a child overseas I hope your to-do list is easier to satisfy.
fadskier
Thanks, thee. The Covid thing is just icing on the cake...we are just stressed if this happens because we always envisioned our kids living closer....we have three kids and it's looking like only one will remain in Texas...our oldest lives in Seattle.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
TechDawgMc
fadskier said:

I have a friend whose daughter lives in London. They try to go over at least once a year. Kind of see it as an opportunity to experience England as a local (especially in terms of golf). I think the availability of things like FaceTime has made it easier as well. I know they miss being around a lot, but they make the most of opportunities.

OTOH, I have a number of connections to missionaries. That tends to be more difficult. I think the rules have changed, but SBC missionaries were only allowed to come home every four years for a long time. And many are working in areas where Internet connections are more challenging. I can understand why that might be pretty challenging for the parents.

This is really different, but i took my family to England for a semester about a decade ago. That was pretty hard on my mom, especially. It really was just four months, though.
Steve Sadler
My older daughter lives in Arkansas.

Does that count?
Pecos 45
fadskier said:

Yes, I have a daughter who has lived in Australia the past five years.
It's tough, but we stay in touch via e-mail, FaceTime and WhatsApp.
Get to see her once a year in person, but not this year because of COVID.
You raise them to be independent, but it's tough when they are!

Hint: If you are both on iPhones, use a wi-fi connection and FaceTime AUDIO to make international calls for free. We do it all the time.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
fadskier
Pecos 45 said:

fadskier said:

Hint: If you are both on iPhones, use a wi-fi connection and FaceTime AUDIO to make long-distance calls for free. We do it all the time.
Got a son that lives in Seattle...youngest is "in love" with a Danish girl. His mom hopes she'll move here and I tell her...they usually stay close to the girl's family
RegentCoverup
fadskier said:

Pecos 45 said:

fadskier said:

Hint: If you are both on iPhones, use a wi-fi connection and FaceTime AUDIO to make long-distance calls for free. We do it all the time.
Got a son that lives in Seattle...youngest is "in love" with a Danish girl. His mom hopes she'll move here and I tell her...they usually stay close to the girl's family
If it's any consolation, your son is a wise man, but roughly 25% of the female population of Denmark and lower Scandinavia is a 10.

He's not wrong, but they won't move too easily and it's more of an occupational hazard for people that visit.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Pecos 45
PS COVID regulations in Australia have made it very hard for our daughter to visit us in the States. When she returns, she is required to quarantined for 14 days in an approved hotel, at her expense.
We haven't seen her in over a year, so it's been tough.

FaceTime and e-mail still works, but I miss my girl.

We spent Xmas in 2019 down under, when it is summer time.
Nothing like opening your presents on the beach!!!

Malcolm Forbes
Wichitabear
SSadler1 said:

My older daughter lives in Arkansas.

Does that count?
It's foreign. Lolol
Pecos 45
Any place that allows cousins to marry and produced Jerry Jones is foreign to me.
Malcolm Forbes
Wichitabear
Pecos 45 said:

Any place that allows cousins to marry and produced Jerry Jones is foreign to me.
There ya go.
fadskier
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

fadskier said:

Pecos 45 said:

fadskier said:

If it's any consolation, your son is a wise man, but roughly 25% of the female population of Denmark and lower Scandinavia is a 10.

He's not wrong, but they won't move too easily and it's more of an occupational hazard for people that visit.
They are also paying Danish to reproduce due to dwindling Danish population....
RegentCoverup
fadskier said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

fadskier said:

Pecos 45 said:

fadskier said:

yeah, those policies have yet to work out well in the countries that tried them.

It was tried in parts of Russia, the women had kids, then abandoned them because they couldnt' support them. That accounts for a lot of the adoption boom in Russia. . Scandinavia is sort of tortured in a lot of ways. A lot is working well, but they need a bit more economic growth and they need to tape the brakes on immigration a bit.

I am slowly in the process of obtaining a Netherlands passport. When the 60's hit, there was a mass exodus of it's population and now they are very liberal about giving out passports to people that will pay their fees. and trying to bring back the people that left.

Their problem is population density and housing. But with Brexit a lot of tradiing shops are moving in from London.
Mr Tulip
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

fadskier said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

fadskier said:

Pecos 45 said:

fadskier said:

yeah, those policies have yet to work out well in the countries that tried them.

It was tried in parts of Russia, the women had kids, then abandoned them because they couldnt' support them. That accounts for a lot of the adoption boom in Russia. . Scandinavia is sort of tortured in a lot of ways. A lot is working well, but they need a bit more economic growth and they need to tape the brakes on immigration a bit.

I am slowly in the process of obtaining a Netherlands passport. When the 60's hit, there was a mass exodus of it's population and now they are very liberal about giving out passports to people that will pay their fees. and trying to bring back the people that left.

Their problem is population density and housing. But with Brexit a lot of tradiing shops are moving in from London.
I'll want to take another look, then.
The last I found, The Netherlands were virtually impossible to emigrate to. You needed to be fluent Dutch, have at least 6 months of living expenses in the bank, and able to secure Dutch employment within 3 months of arrival - something almost completely futile since you can't get employed without citizenship papers, which you can't get without employment.

Legally, I'm like 80 millionth in line to be the King of the Netherlands. That didn't seem to impress anyone. Really I'm more likely to end up in The Bahamas now anyhow.
RegentCoverup
Mr Tulip said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

fadskier said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

fadskier said:

Pecos 45 said:

fadskier said:

I'll want to take another look, then.
The last I found, The Netherlands were virtually impossible to emigrate to. You needed to be fluent Dutch, have at least 6 months of living expenses in the bank, and able to secure Dutch employment within 3 months of arrival - something almost completely futile since you can't get employed without citizenship papers, which you can't get without employment.

Legally, I'm like 80 millionth in line to be the King of the Netherlands. That didn't seem to impress anyone. Really I'm more likely to end up in The Bahamas now anyhow.
I'd recommend Dutch IF(and only if) your goal was to go to places like Bonaire, Dutch Antilles, Aruba. If your goal is tax-free Caribbean, I'd say you're better off with a British passport or straight up join a a Caribbean country. But I wouldn't recommend anyone living in the country unless they wanted to get murdered on taxes in a job where they might never see the benefit. There is scant economic mobility in Holland unless you're in certain fields.

The benefits of a Dutch passport(for me) is the EU benefits/ work visa. i'd prefer to retire in Europe, but not the Netherlands, Maybe Spain/Southern Germany. Mine has already been approved and the paperwork has begun, but I need to go there to do the final approval and it's not urgent for me...yet.

The 'published' outsider requirements are sorta true. They have let in too many Turks, Moroccans, etc. Believe me, those cats could never pass the language requirement. Fluency is negotiable because they barely have enough people to administer the test. I always call bull**** on these 'requirements' because the US publishes them too and they still manage to let in enough terrorists to start an Al-Qaeda training camp and every Houston Tex-Mex restaurant.

Plenty of great places in Europe to retire, not sure I'd say Holland.

REvansBU71
Pecos 45 said:

Hey! I resemble that remark!

I was raised in Benton County (Rogers), though, and it's 2-4 cuts above the rest of AR.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
Nguyen One Soon
REvansBU71 said:

Pecos 45 said:

Hey! I resemble that remark!

I was raised in Benton County (Rogers), though, and it's 2-4 cuts above the rest of AR.
Yep. Benton County even has two-story outhouses. BTW, Jones make big $ on the storm last week.
HunterBear
Thee University said:

fadskier said:

Yes. One of my daughters lives in Hong Kong. She's married to an Aussie. To further complicate the situation with Covid she is due in mid- April. She's having twins!

Needless to say we are stressed. Especially my wife. Hong Kong currently has an extensive testing process before you board the flight and again once you arrive. HK has deemed the USA a high risk country so you are treated differently. You immediately go to a testing center at the HK airport and remain there until your test shows negative. You then are taken to a quarantine hotel that is chosen for you where you will be under strict quarantine for 14 to 21 days. You undergo multiple testing and have to eat the meals the hotel brings in. You also are "tagged" with a wristband and a "stay at home" app on your cell phone. You have no visitors or family while at the hotel.

I believe every country is different and Hong Kong might be one of the more strict countries to enter. That is about all I know as of right now. We hope to time everything so that we can get there just prior to the twins deciding to enter the world. It is going to be very stressful but we are going to give it our best.

If you have a child overseas I hope your to-do list is easier to satisfy.

I'm sure your daughter is aware, but twins often arrive six weeks early, as did ours. They are a handful, and any help is wonderful. But, they are a double blessing, and it's gonna be hard to leave them and come back home.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.