Vaccine Side Effects

2,840 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TenBears
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I finally got my first dose of vaccine (Moderna) on Wednesday. After I left to go home, my arm was a bit sore but nothing big.

By that evening, however, both arms were sore and my neck was stiff.

By Thursday morning, I also had back pain as well and a mild fever, along with a general weakness and no appetite. Had to call in sick for the first time in a decade.

Lots of liquids, bed rest and ibuprofen seem to have done the trick. By 8 last night the fever was gone and most of the pain was gone (arms still hurt).

From what I read, it was supposed to be the second dose which caused problems for some people, but I guess I just have to be different.

Did anyone else suffer effects from the first dose of the vaccine? If so, how did dose #2 work out?

Thanks
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
73s de N4WJP
I had very few side effects from shot #1 of the Moderna three weeks ago. My arm was sore similar to a flu shot. After a good night's sleep I was ready for any challenge (or as ready as I ever am at my age).

I had shot #2 yesterday afternoon. Like you, I had heard it was supposed to be more of a challenge so I took a couple of low dose aspirin around 8:30 even though I had yet to feel any issues. I slept normally and took one more LDA this morning on a "just in case" basis. So far, so good physically and mentally.

YMMV
Oldbear83
Glad to hear it, 73s
Bexar Pitts
OldBear, I had the 1st Moderna dose around midday...Soreness late that night..Lasted a day or two..No other really noticeable side effects..2nd shot was given 28 days later..also around midday..Side effects started next day, at least 24 hours after the injection.. Felt weakness, just a strong general malaise..that lasted about 24 hours..I have heard of folks that got that malaise after first shot, but it passed fairly quickly with a little bed rest..guess each individuals immune system dictates the response. Hang in there, I hope you feel better soon.
Liteitup
Bexar Pitts said:

OldBear, I had the 1st Moderna dose around midday...Soreness late that night..Lasted a day or two..No other really noticeable side effects..2nd shot was given 28 days later..also around midday..Side effects started next day, at least 24 hours after the injection.. Felt weakness, just a strong general malaise..that lasted about 24 hours..I have heard of folks that got that malaise after first shot, but it passed fairly quickly with a little bed rest..guess each individuals immune system dictates the response. Hang in there, I hope you feel better soon.
At least 24 hours after 2nd shot, this was my experience as well.
curtpenn
Oldbear83 said:

I finally got my first does of vaccine (Moderna) on Wednesday. After I left to go home, my arm was a bit sore but nothing big.

By Thursday morning, I also had back pain as well and a mild fever, along with a general weakness and no appetite. Had to call in sick for the first time in a decade.

Lots of liquids, best rest and ibuprofen seem to have done the trick. By 8 last night the fever was gone and most of the pain was gone (arms still hurt).

From what I read, it was supposed to be the second dose which caused problems for some people, but I guess I just have to be different.

Did anyone else suffer effects from the first dose of the vaccine? If so, how did dose #2 work out?

Thanks
Had my second Moderna vax just over two weeks ago. Zero problem beyond a sore arm the first time. Developed uncontrollable chills/shaking almost exactly 24 hours after the second one during my commute home from work. Had car heater on max, seat and steering wheel heaters both on, and could hardly drive. Layered up with sweats and got under a ton of covers and shook for about 3-4 hours. Felt better by 9-10 PM that day. Slept in a bit the next morning and then went to work tired, but otherwise OK. Hope you have a better experience. Just glad it's done. Be well.
fadskier
Has second Moderna shot on March 31...Thursday, April 1st was hell on Earth....severe body aches all over..spent the day in bed...hard to breathe...Friday, April 2...less severe aches but still extremely tired...April 3rd, no aches but still could not do cardio or gym

Today, April 9 and I still feel weak and "different."

Will not get this vaccine again.
whitetrash
Had Pfizer, first dose 3/11 and second dose 4/2. Only symptom afterward was feeling like I had been punched in the arm, and then only if/when I was using my left arm. After the first one I felt it if I rolled onto my left side at night, but not as much after the second one. Wife had probably even less of a reaction. My 89 yo mother got Moderna back in January/February (we got home from the doctor 15 minutes before the first wave of the February blizzard/deep freeze) and only had a little arm soreness starting about 24 hours afterward.

The only severe side effect was having to scuttle any thoughts of planning a trip to Indy last weekend just in case I had a reaction. Short term pain for long term gain, I guess.
ScruffyD
Had the first Moderna vaccine a week ago. Felt pretty bad for about 24 hours but managed it with Advil. I had Covid in November and have read those who've had Covid struggle more with the first dose. This has checked out anecdotally with some folks I know. My wife did not get Covid, sailed through the first shot and felt pretty bad after the second.

I am sure it varies by person just like Covid does.
57Bear
I got my second shot nine weeks ago. No significant side effect with either shot.
LIB,MR BEARS
Got my first Pfizer yesterday. Zero side effects unless someone asked me . Then, it was like "well, I can still feel where they stuck me." Unless I had reason to think about it, there was nothing to think about. No crazy side effects. No desire to wear maroon. I think I'm good.
Mitch Blood Green
Oldbear83 said:

I finally got my first does of vaccine (Moderna) on Wednesday. After I left to go home, my arm was a bit sore but nothing big.

Lots of liquids, best rest and ibuprofen seem to have done the trick. By 8 last night the fever was gone and most of the pain was gone (arms still hurt).

Thanks

My one was worse than my 2. (Moderna). Not nearly as bad as yours. Just chills the second one but body aches after the first.

Why was your arms sore? That's weird. The put mine in the butt.

I was surprised at how little pain the needle gave and even more surprised at the soreness left behind.
SSadler
Had my second Pfizer shot last week. Neither one produced side effects other than a slight arm soreness on the second.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I have not had any side effects from any of the vaccines.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
PartyBear
Had a sore arm for about 4 days after Modena 1. Not unbearable but my shoulder did hurt to the touch and not just in at the injection point.

Had Moderna 2 this past week. Felt nothing not even sore arm until about 8 hours later the same sore arm side effect kicked in and a little tired except the sore arm started spreading to upper back and neck right before I went to bed and then it was gone the next am. I still have sore arm/shoulder. My wife had her second the same time and she had sore arm and the next day mild flu symptoms for about 7 hours.
perrynative
57Bear said:

I got my second shot nine weeks ago. No significant side effect with either shot.
Same here. Maybe we got the placebo.
Stemperford
Taking a vaccine is just like a jar with 100 candies. One out of 100 will kill instantly, another five will make you suffer a serious adverse reaction, and there are another ten that have reactions but don't know how serious. If you're feeling okay after taking the vaccine you are lucky!
BylrFan
Stemperford said:

Taking a vaccine is just like a jar with 100 candies. One out of 100 will kill instantly

that's pretty bad misinformation. if this was the case, numbers would be higher than covid death rates.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I took Moderna way back in Jan or Feb. Didnt even know when he did it the needle was so small. My arm was a little sore after the first and a little sorer after the second. A teacher I know missed work after the second one.
Oldbear83
tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

Thanks

My one was worse than my 2. (Moderna). Not nearly as bad as yours. Just chills the second one but body aches after the first.

I was surprised at how little pain the needle gave and even more surprised at the soreness left behind.
It started with the normal sore arm (left). They gave me the shot right at the shoulder, said it had to be that high.

Later that evening, I realized both arms were aching, and after that it spread to the neck and upper back.

I definitely had the sense it was spreading.

Do not like thinking what the real virus would have felt like. I get panicky when I have trouble breathing, and from what I hear that's one of the hallmarks of COVID.
Mitch Blood Green
Oldbear83 said:

tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

Thanks

It started with the normal sore arm (left). They gave me the shot right at the shoulder, said it had to be that high.

Later that evening, I realized both arms were aching, and after that it spread to the neck and upper back.

Do not like thinking what the real virus would have felt like. I get panicky when I have trouble breathing, and from what I hear that's one of the hallmarks of COVID.

My sister in law got it and it was dicey for a few days. We're lucky Remdisivir is in the marketplace.
nevadafoothill
tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

Thanks

My sister in law got it and it was dicey for a few days. We're lucky Remdisivir is in the marketplace.
Now, I don't want to be vaccinated anymore.
Re-Mapping the Page.
Mitch Blood Green
nevadafoothill said:

tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

Thanks

Re-Mapping the Page.

Sorry, I was unclear. The "it" was the coronavirus, not the vaccine.

Our family, like most, is split on whether to get vaccinated or not.
LIB,MR BEARS
tommie said:

nevadafoothill said:

tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

Thanks

Re-Mapping the Page.

Out family is the same. To each his own.

Bexar Pitts
LIB,MR BEARS said:

tommie said:

nevadafoothill said:

tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

Thanks

Re-Mapping the Page.

Out family is the same. To each his own.

"To each his own." Yep...As Cousin Eddie said when he was questioned about living in the RV on a nuclear test site..."Clark, all I know is my teeth have never been whiter and my garden is spittin' out 50 pound tomatoes."
Oldbear83
Got my second dose (Moderna) on Wednesday, Had side effects again, but not as severe as the first time. Same arm and shoulder pain, along with a stiff neck and fatigue, but I was able to work from home while flooding my body with lots of liquids, which seemed to help.
LIB,MR BEARS
I got my second shot last Friday (Phizer). I took Tylenol before and felt fine all day. On Saturday afternoon I got joint soreness in my knees, hips, elbows and shoulders. Took more Tylenol and after a couple hours it dawned on me I felt fine. I have felt fine since.

If my customers appear concerned about a mask, I have mine available and will put it on. If they don't have it on, I don't put mine on. If they ask, I tell them they are fine without it
TenBears
Felt achy and tired 2nd day after second Moderna. Took two naps and was fine the next day. Very glad a got the vax.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.