Need help with alcohol

4,556 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Robert Wilson
fadskier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ABC BEAR said:

fadskier said:

ABC BEAR said:

Do you drink alone or do you have a partner, an enabler?
Aloneā€¦at home relaxing.
It sounds like you are in the maintenance drinker phase, where you are functional and never totally ripped but never 100% clean either. Like others have said, now is the time to end the addiction, because once you get a DUI or public intoxication rap your life becomes an exponential hell.

Even though we're talking about a drinking problem here, a good self-examination and a complete lifestyle overhaul might be in order. Your daily routine, how and where you spend your free time and what are your priorities and goals in life.

If you're really committed to going cold turkey, dump all the booze in the house and don't look upon having a drink as a treat or a reward for good behavior, rather, think of it as anathema to your body and soul.

Your body won't react well to the changes which is why you need to have alternate plans in mind for how and where you spend your time.
Actually I've just spent 9 days dry and it really wasn't that difficult. I've thought about having a drink but didn't. I have experienced a "pull" or tug of war about having a drink.

I do exercise everyday...at least 45 minutes. I think my issue is that I don't have a reason that I drink except that I enjoy it.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
fadskier
Mr Tulip said:

The question I'd ask is about the "pull" you feel when you're not drinking. Are you able to conduct your business and enjoy the evening without drinking, or are you having to chase the urge to drink alcohol out of your head all the time?

I'm absolutely not an expert. For my own self, I just try to ensure what I think is just a habit that can be controlled when I want to control it isn't actually a compulsion that makes me upset when I can't satisfy it.
I just spent 9 days dry and it really wasn't a problem. I don't drink everyday...usually three days per week...one weekday and then weekend.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
ABC BEAR
Good news. Keep it going.
OsoCoreyell
fadskier said:

Mr Tulip said:

The question I'd ask is about the "pull" you feel when you're not drinking. Are you able to conduct your business and enjoy the evening without drinking, or are you having to chase the urge to drink alcohol out of your head all the time?

I'm absolutely not an expert. For my own self, I just try to ensure what I think is just a habit that can be controlled when I want to control it isn't actually a compulsion that makes me upset when I can't satisfy it.
I just spent 9 days dry and it really wasn't a problem. I don't drink everyday...usually three days per week...one weekday and then weekend.
Keep it up! You can do it!
RegentCoverup
Fad, if you don't like what drinking does to your life, then write down a program to replace it with something positive.
It sounds like you have good exercise habits, commit to not only that but a way to relax afterwards.
I don't think a " no drinking " plan is the best approach, because it sort of ignores the underlying issues.
That you've recognized the issues is the most important point. And I absolutely believe you can control it.
Embrace your health and health goals and use that to displace the habit of alcohol in your life.

There is a lot of good advice on this thread and I second AA.

Reach out if you need help
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Mitch Blood Green
I was looking forward to sinning with you. Unsweet iced tea will have to do. All the best! You got this.
Robert Wilson
Mr Tulip said:

I do like my hard liquor. I never thought I had a problem, so I've stopped a couple of times for a week just to demonstrate that I'm still in control.

Really, the toughest part is the habit. I never got the sense that I was dependent on the feeling of drinking, but that it was just something that wound down the day and set me up for sleep (although I found myself sleeping better when I had NOT had a drink before bedtime). When I stop, I find I do mentally miss it for the first couple of days. It doesn't change my mood or cause other changes, but I have to remind myself to fill the time before bed with something besides a drink.
This describes me exactly.

Along this line, read Atomic Habits. If you want to start a good habit, or quit a bad one, it's a great read.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.